Events

NuWater clinches victory in the 2012 Coronation Double Century

· By Matt · 6 comments

(Swellendam, 24 November 2012) Team NuWater has clinched the 20th Coronation Double Century, overcoming challenging weather and a spirited challenge from Team Focus/Craft, who claimed second place. Third place in the men’s category went to TEAM.

2012 Coronation Double Century winners Team NuWater.jpg

Luthando Kaka, Team Bonitas rider who was invited by Team NuWater to join their team for the 2012 event, said: “Despite tough conditions and a hard ride, it was a great day out with the NuWater guys. I always love the vibe at this event, especially as it’s a perfect way of winding down the season ahead of our season which starts in January.”

Vodacom Ladies was the first ladies team to cross the finish line, successfully defending their 2011 title. Team captain Hanlie Booyens said they had a battle with the wind for the entire first half of the route. “It was very challenging, especially for the smaller riders on the team, but we still managed a faster time than last year. We love coming to the CDC as it is the one time in the year when our team can ride together instead of against each other.”

Team My Training Day claimed victory in the mixed category, just beating Team Give Me A Chance to the post.

David Bellairs, Marketing and Sponsorship Director of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust, organisers of the Coronation Double Century, completed the event with a team that included Western Cape MEC for Finance, Economic Development and Tourism, Alan Winde. He said that the day’s challenging conditions really brought out the spirit of teamwork and camaraderie that the event has become known for.

“Without all the role players, from the organisers to the cyclists to the local community, who come together every year and put on a fantastic weekend of fun for cyclists and spectators alike, this event would not be possible. Despite the rain and strong winds that riders had to contend with for most of the ride, the 20th Coronation Double Century was one of the best yet!”

“Completing the Coronation Double Century requires teamwork, performance and an unwavering focus on the long-term. These are values that our company embraces wholeheartedly and we’re very proud to be the title sponsor of this prestigious event,” says Karl Leinberger, Chief Investment Officer at Coronation Fund Managers.

Winde said he had a great time at his first CDC. “Events like these are good economic drivers, a platform to raise funds and awareness for charities and they promote healthy lifestyles. I am proud to report that all of our team completed the race and raised valuable funds for cancer.”

Local Swellendam-based company Southern Oil, who sponsored Winde’s team as well as another, thanked the riders for their efforts. “The funds we raised will go to the Health and Welfare Foundation of Swellendam, who represent the community hospitals and clinics, to be used in the rollout of a cancer awareness and education campaign in Buffeljags.”

Race Results are as follows:

Racing Men:

1 – Team NuWater (05:12:35)

2 – Team Focus/Craft (05:28:24)

3 – Team Demacon/EOH (05:37:12)

Racing Women:

1 – Team Vodacom Ladies (06:34:27)

2 – Team Velocity Sports Lab Ladies 1 (06:41:25)

3 – Team Old Mutual Investment Girls (06:51:25)

Racing Mixed:

1 – Team My Training Day (06:03:31)

2 – Team Give Me A Chance (06:05:18)

3 – Team Mr Price KZN (06:13:43)

Comments

amoryns

Nov 26, 2012, 9:52 AM

where was daikin and anderson TP?

Lucky Luke.

Nov 26, 2012, 9:56 AM

I was in my office tapping out some html, John is in Thailand, the other guys I couldn't tell you tongue.png

No Daikin team, some of the guys are riding for Focus though.

Denny Menchov

Nov 29, 2012, 5:45 AM

Capcha captured Daikin - looks like they were there.

http://capcha.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/DAIKIN-2.jpg

andydude

Nov 29, 2012, 6:38 AM

Well done to NuWater - super effort!

The results are on Racetec - http://results.racetec.co.za/results_by_event.aspx?RID=4418&EN=Sat%2024%2F11%2F2012%20Coronation%20Double%20Century%20%28202km%29

1st - NuWater

2nd - Focus / Craft

3rd - Demacon / EOH

4th - Hot Chillee

5th - Berge Farrel Design

Daikin was definitely there.

fandacious

Nov 29, 2012, 7:57 AM

Well done to NuWater - super effort!

The results are on Racetec - http://results.racet...Century (202km)

1st - NuWater

2nd - Focus / Craft

3rd - Demacon / EOH

4th - Hot Chillee

5th - Berge Farrel Design

Daikin was definitely there.

they won by a HUGE margin... very impressive

'Dale

Nov 29, 2012, 8:03 AM

The absence of Anderson Transport as a regular contender is obvious.

Is there a story behind the story behind the story?

mellow.png

Add a comment

You must log in to comment