Events

Pennypinchers Lions Karoo to Coast draws record entries

· By Press Office · 11 comments

The 18th edition of the Pennypinchers Lions Karoo to Coast Mountain Bike Challenge took place on Sunday the 18 September 2016 with over 96 kilometres of cycling from Uniondale to Knysna. Entries for the 2016 event sold out in record time and over 4500 local and international, happy riders gathered under clear cool skies at the start line on Voortrekker Street in Uniondale on Sunday.

ccs-2-0-13224200-1474281471.jpgPhoto: Desmond Scholtz Photography

“It is the ‘Argus’ of mountain biking,” commented many fun riders on the day. Riders seem to keep on coming back to improve their time each year. The hospitality in Uniondale, where over 1500 athletes sit together and enjoy a top quality meal prepared by the friends and family of the Uniondale Lions, adds a very special touch to the race. The route is breathtakingly beautiful with such a vast contrast of scenery and terrain. It sets a great challenge for any rider – it is not too technical, so people who want to accomplish a goal of riding 100km on a mountain bike, can do so.

The Lions of Knysna managed the finish at the Knysna High School this year and over 10 000 people enjoyed the sunshine while watching the riders cross the line. The Lions of Uniondale and Knysna own the event and ALL proceeds from the event go to charity. Event organiser – Zandile Meneses – said that the water points were managed by teams from the Uniondale Lions, the Knysna Education Trust, the Rotary Club of Knysna and the Eden Lions. The newly established Bitou Lions Club managed the transport of food to the points and the Sea Cadets helped with the hand out of medals at the finish venue. Marshals included volunteers from the Syndicates Motorbike Club, Knysna Sports School, Knysna Round Table and Allsound Security. The event hopes to raise awareness of the constructive work of charities in our area. The event gives donations to volunteers who help on the day and who do fantastic work in the local communities.

ccs-2-0-63647200-1474281470.jpgPhoto: Desmond Scholtz Photography

ccs-2-0-48503500-1474281471.jpgWinners Gerrie Beukes (3:25:29) and Mellusca Toovey (3:48:34). Photo: Desmond Scholtz Photography

“This year we were very grateful to have had minimal incidents, considering the size of the field and we have our marshals, safety officer, medics and Municipal services to thank for this. We have a team of experienced and dedicated people behind the scenes who help us to take care of the riders.”

All proceeds from the event go to Sightfirst, the South African Guide Dog Association and other urgent needs in the community. The Knysna and Uniondale Lions handed over a cheque for R100 000.00 to the Guide Dog Association at prize giving on Sunday. The organisers want to emphasise that the event is focused on providing a positive experience for people who appreciate the JOY and fun of cycling in nature.

The entries for the 2017 event will open on the 20th January 2017 and riders can take a look at their results at www.karootocoast.com and their photos can be purchased from Jetline Action Photo.

RESULTS

1st Male Gerrie Beukes
2nd Male Vickus Boshoff
3rd Male Tiaan Jordaan

1st Female Mellusca Toovey
2nd Female Jeanie De Villiers
3rd Female Chantell Lombard

Comments

Headshot

Sep 19, 2016, 12:07 PM

Any cyclocross bikes I wonder...

Patchelicious

Sep 19, 2016, 12:08 PM

I think all the people capable of riding a CX bike on this route, were not allowed to ride any bike on this route.

GAP

Sep 19, 2016, 12:15 PM

Yes I passed one.

Headshot

Sep 19, 2016, 2:59 PM

Yes I passed one.

What going the other way on his second lap?

Dexter-morgan

Sep 19, 2016, 5:38 PM

Yip saw a very nice spaz on a trailer before the event.

Gerlach

Sep 19, 2016, 6:45 PM

Jip. The was one retro road bike and one really nice cyclocross bike. BUT MY BIG QUESTION I STILL WANT TO POST, IS E-MTB ALOUD TO RACE IN THE RACE BECAUSE THERE WAS ONE WITH A RACING NUMBER AND HE PAST US ON THE LAST HILL LIKE HE WAS DOING A SUNDAY BEACH RIDE??????

Patchelicious

Sep 19, 2016, 7:19 PM

Jip. The was one retro road bike and one really nice cyclocross bike. BUT MY BIG QUESTION I STILL WANT TO POST, IS E-MTB ALOUD TO RACE IN THE RACE BECAUSE THERE WAS ONE WITH A RACING NUMBER AND HE PAST US ON THE LAST HILL LIKE HE WAS DOING A SUNDAY BEACH RIDE??????

The only thing aloud here is your font!
BSG

Sep 19, 2016, 7:33 PM

You have now posted in 3 different places, I've replied to 2 of the others.
BSG

Sep 19, 2016, 7:34 PM

A quick question, are Electric Mountain bikes aloud on MTB race like the Karoo 2 Coast? If i'm not mistaking "and there some other riders that seen the same thing" that i guy on a E-bike with racing number pedaling pas us on Simola Hill with like no hard pedaling work. :mellow:

There was one at this year's Attakwas as well, not sure if if he did the long or short one, but he didn't compete for any prizes, it was someone with some sort of a disability, not exactly sure in what form but he was given the chance to live and ride a dream that many of us would like to do as well especially the long one which I am unable to train for because I work my longest hours and I am quite busy over December.
Gerlach

Sep 19, 2016, 7:44 PM

The only thing aloud here is your font!

Thanks!! :thumbup:

Gerlach

Sep 19, 2016, 7:46 PM

You have now posted in 3 different places, I've replied to 2 of the others.

Thanks RSG. looks we got the answer on it. https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/156917-event-karoo-to-coast/page-34

Add a comment

You must log in to comment