Events

Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails reminds mountain bikers why they ride

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Mountain biking enthusiasts were treated to spectacular trails during Stage Two of the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails in Stellenbosch on Sunday, 04 December 2016.

Starting and finishing at the picturesque Blaauwklippen Wine Estate, Stage Two saw riders having to complete a +-60km or +-32km route.

ccs-62657-0-58332600-1480863470.jpgMountain bikers enjoying the beauty of the Stage Two route. Photo Credit: Tobias Ginsberg

SA’s MTB ‘Lion King’, Erik Kleinhans and Christoph Sauser once again rode together, savoring the Stage Two routes. “Today was lovely, absolutely perfect,” says Kleinhans. “Often riders are so focused on racing, that they forget why they ride which is for the love of the sport. The Origin Of Trails has a really nice social feel to it. It’s a great way to close off the year.”

According to Sauser, they pushed harder during Stage Two. “We were flying through the trails today. For me the best part of the route was coming down Bartinney’s Skyfall and flowing through the Banhoek Valley. I love the Origin Of Trails. It’s a home ride for me. I basically roll out of bed onto the start line and get to ride the trails that I love.”

For triathlete Michael Lord the best part of the Stage Two route was the section that goes through the Banhoek Valley. “I train in Banhoek. The session usually lasts 2 hours, of which 1 ½ hours is on single track. I enjoy the playfulness of the Origin Of Trails. Everyone is having fun and dishing out chirps on the single track.”

In addition to having fun, Ariane Lüthi also took part in the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails to raise awareness for two important causes. “A very dear friend of mine has been diagnosed with cancer. I’m riding in support of her. I’m also supporting the Stellenbosch Trail Fund. I usually race flat out at events, and don’t have the chance to ride for charities. The Origin Of Trails gives riders the opportunity to engage with each other. The routes showcase the best of Stellenbosch. I am really glad to be here.”

Dakar Rally star, Giniel De Villiers was also seen enjoying the trails at the 2016 Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails. “I can think of nothing better than riding the best trails in Stellenbosch,” says De Villiers. “Bobby from Specialized really looks after me with regard to a bicycle. The event is always fun. Right now I am focusing on staying fit for my race in January.”

Stage Two of the 32km Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails saw Daniel Van Der Walt pipping Jamie Penfold to the finish line. “The track was awesome. I really enjoyed it. It’s clear that a lot of effort went into the routes.”

“Stage Two was much easier than Stage One,” says a delighted Vicky Van Der Merwe, SA triathlete. “It really is incredible to ride in Stellenbosch. The routes are beautiful.”

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment