Events

Pietermaritzburg gears up for 2014 season-opening MTB World Cup

· By Press Office · 23 comments

The Cascades MTB Park is preparing to host the 2014 UCI MTB World Cup Pietermaritzburg presented by Shimano, its fifth mountain bike international in six years, following last year’s successful UCI MTB and Trials World Championships.

ccs-41808-0-91583700-1392796222.gif

The Pietermaritzburg leg of the 2014 UCI World Cup calendar, from 11 to 13 April will form the first leg of the international MTB season consisting of nine World Cups leading to the World Championships in Norway in September.

The Cascades MTB Park event will include the familiar Cross Country and Downhill disciplines, but won’t include the Eliminator discipline introduced to the Pietermaritzburg fans at last year’s World Championships. Pietermaritzburg first hosted a leg of the UCI MTB World Cup circuit in 2009, and again in 2011 and 2012, before staging the World Championships last year.

The cross country course designed by Nick Floros for the World Championships and the Downhill course designed by Nigel Hicks will once again be used for the World Cup events, with only minor adjustments to both layouts envisaged. It’s exciting to be heading into a fifth season of international Mountain Bike events at The Cascades MTB Park,” said event director Alec Lenferna.

ccs-41808-0-73237400-1392796242.jpg

Image credit: Darren Goddard/Gameplan Media

“We have shown over the years that we are capable of organising events to the highest global standards, and our courses have been uniformly praised as some of the best in the world.

“It is great to hear from the riders themselves that they look forward to coming back to Pietermaritzburg because of the high standards of the course and the warm hospitality they enjoy here,” he added.

The region was ideally suited to events of this scale because it had the infrastructure to cater for the riders, support teams and fans, said Pietermaritzburg Chamber of Business CEO Melanie Veness, who also serves as the event organising committee president.

“The city has the capacity in terms of bed nights to accommodate all the teams and riders relatively close to the course,” said Veness. “The incoming participants bring a significant injection into the regional economy, which we are excited about.”

“But just as exciting is the value of the positive image of Pietermaritzburg that is projected all over the world, both as a tourist destination, a city that hosts sporting events to the highest standards, and a region that recognises the value of sporting events.”

UCI Mountain Bike Calendar 2014

10-13 April UCI World Cup XCO/DHI Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

24-27 April UCI World Cup XCO/XCE/DHI Cairns, Australia

23-25 May UCI World Cup XCO/XCE/Jnr XCO Nove Mesto na Morave, Czech Republic

30 May-1 June UCI World Cup XCO/XCE – UCI Junior Series XCO Albstadt, Germany

7-8 June UCI World Cup DHI Fort William, Great Britain

14-15 June UCI World Cup DHI Leogang, Austria

29 June UCI Marathon World Championships Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

31 Junly-3 August UCI World Cup XCO/XCE/DHI Mont-Sainte-Anne, Canada

7-10 August UCI World Cup XCO/XCE/DHI Windham, USA

21-24 August UCI World Cup XCO/XCE/DHI Méribel, France

2-7 September UCI XCO/XCE/XCR/DHI World Championships Hafjel, Norway

More information can be found at www.mtbworldcupsa.co.za

Comments

Tumbleweed

Feb 19, 2014, 11:10 AM

First WC in PMB that I'm going to miss :-(

Gen

Feb 19, 2014, 11:22 AM

Ag hell it's just after school starts again.. dammit.

patches

Feb 19, 2014, 11:28 AM

Get your mom to write you a note!

Gen

Feb 19, 2014, 11:30 AM

Get your mom to write you a note!

Ha ha ha ha funny man lol mayne I must just the kids out of school for that monday after.

Grebel

Feb 19, 2014, 11:31 AM

Aaaaand the excuse is.....?

(It better be a family emergency.... I hear there might be a quad or two with the keys "left" in the ignition... Some of them may or may not be used to transport beer.....)

hayleyearth

Feb 19, 2014, 11:32 AM

But I have you scheduled for a pizza and beer evening again.... :mellow:

CAAD4

Feb 19, 2014, 11:33 AM

Me too. I'm all World Cupped out...

Grebel

Feb 19, 2014, 11:42 AM

All the good stuff is happening on the weekend. No excuse. You'll be back in class on monday morning with at least 6 hours sleep if your Dad drives "quickly"......

Claudio

Feb 19, 2014, 12:05 PM

It's gonna be my first *gasp* bloody excited though!

Stretch

Feb 19, 2014, 12:13 PM

i have missed one....GM came second that year I missed.....guess I HAVE to go..drat!

Gen

Feb 19, 2014, 12:17 PM

You did it again, you said GM :)

Super_mil

Feb 19, 2014, 12:29 PM

Well the DH wraps up on Saturday for a change, so at least I can hang around for the after party this time :thumbup:

hayleyearth

Feb 19, 2014, 12:32 PM

Well the DH wraps up on Saturday for a change, so at least I can hang around for the after party this time :thumbup:

it is going to be a blast! :clap:

Stretch

Feb 19, 2014, 12:33 PM

based on evidence from peaties videos last year..the sunday party looked like much more fun...complete with a quad bike lift compo!

Gen

Feb 19, 2014, 5:44 PM

Ag bloody hell not only is iy the first weekend after school starts, it's also the weekend of my boets 40th bday party.

Wonder if I could convince him to move the party from jhb to maritzburg.. mmm

Stretch

Feb 19, 2014, 6:04 PM

Ag bloody hell not only is iy the first weekend after school starts, it's also the weekend of my boets 40th bday party.

Wonder if I could convince him to move the party from jhb to maritzburg.. mmm

Might be easier to persuade him to move it to the next weekend!

It's well worth the trip... Granted last year was world champs.. But I have never be prouder to be a south African.. and the vibe at the end is awesome

Stretch

Feb 19, 2014, 6:05 PM

and the vibe at the end is awesome... so awesome I posted it twice

Gen

Feb 19, 2014, 6:08 PM

Might be easier to persuade him to move it to the next weekend!

It's well worth the trip... Granted last year was world champs.. But I have never be prouder to be a south African.. and the vibe at the end is awesome

Well the vibe at my house was crazy after GM won, can only imagine what it was like there. Lol

Tumbleweed

Feb 20, 2014, 5:59 AM

Aaaaand the excuse is.....?

(It better be a family emergency.... I hear there might be a quad or two with the keys "left" in the ignition... Some of them may or may not be used to transport beer.....)

My best friend's 50th. I'll be in Durbs that weekend for it. Forgot the DH - which is what I really want to watch - was now scheduled for Saturday afternoon. Doubt I'd be able to get back to the Berea on time after Greg wins…again.

But I have you scheduled for a pizza and beer evening again.... :mellow:

You should've booked me earlier.

Me too. I'm all World Cupped out...

I'm not! I could so do it again!

nigelhicks

Feb 20, 2014, 6:11 AM

Well - unlike what Alec says - The Courses are in for BIG changes ...

XC will be totally new. Nick has some amazing stuff up his sleeve with a course that will be insanely spectator friendly, but at the same time gnarly.

And then the DH - well I'll just have to let you all wait and see - if you are in and around Cascades over the next couple of weeks - go and have a look around Cloud 9, Haibo, and Slip n Slide (where Hill crashed) and maybe you will see some changes

Tumbleweed

Feb 20, 2014, 6:15 AM

Well - unlike what Alec says - The Courses are in for BIG changes ...

XC will be totally new. Nick has some amazing stuff up his sleeve with a course that will be insanely spectator friendly, but at the same time gnarly.

And then the DH - well I'll just have to let you all wait and see - if you are in and around Cascades over the next couple of weeks - go and have a look around Cloud 9, Haibo, and Slip n Slide (where Hill crashed) and maybe you will see some changes

Damnit! Now I might have to come done some days earlier to see all of that.

daanjg

Feb 20, 2014, 9:37 AM

Dammmnnnn! My bother doesn't want to move his wedding

Gen

Feb 20, 2014, 10:28 AM

Dammmnnnn! My bother doesn't want to move his wedding

Pffft Brothers hey, mine doesn't want to move his 40th either.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment