Industry News

Pirelli partners with UAE Team Emirates in 2022

Press Release

· By Press Office · 22 comments

Milan (Italy), 17 December 2021.  A few days before the start of the new year, Pirelli announces yet another sporting partnership with another cycling team in the top UCI category: the World Tour UAE Team Emirates. 

pirelli-uae-1.jpg

The team, which has a high-profile roster starting with Slovenian Tadej Pogacar, will ride on Pirelli tyres in 2022 and 2023, choosing between the P ZERO RACE TLR or clincher tyres and the lightweight P ZERO TUB SL tubulars. 

The recently formed UAE Team ADQ women’s team will also ride on Pirelli tyres. 

The partnership is all Made in Italy and brings together for the first time two big names in Italian sport: Colnago and Pirelli. The famous Cambiago-based manufacturer has chosen Pirelli for the team and its bikes too. In the near future the Colnago range will be equipped with Pirelli tyres. 

Technical development remains as always, a central aspect of the collaboration with UAE Team Emirates, as feedback generated by the riders will help Pirelli to design high performing products for the many passionate cyclists. 

New faces and familiar ones will come together for this purpose. Pirelli’s “veterans” include Denmark’s Mikkel Bjerg, who has already won a world time trial championship (U23, Harrogate 2019) with the Milanese company’s tyres, and Italy’s Matteo Trentin (silver medal in Yorkshire, in the same year). 

The Italian rider has also contributed his feedback to the development of the P ZERO tyres since their first appearance in the World Tour in 2018. 

I’m really happy to be getting back on Pirelli for next year. It’s quite special for me as I was one of the first riders to test and compete with Pirelli after their move into bicycle tyres. In just a few years since then they have become one of the market leaders and for me probably the best tyres in the peloton. Myself and the rest of the team are really excited for this new step. Matteo Trentin
Pirelli’s commitment to the world of professional cycling is even broader and more important today. With this new partnership we’re not only celebrating the arrival of our tyres on a new World Tour team, but we’re signing an all-Italian agreement that will see us on the bikes of one of the most prestigious names in cycling: Colnago. It’s an honour and a pride for us. It’s also a new technical collaboration that will help us take our products to the next level, for the professional and amateur riders. Matteo Barbieri, General Manager of Pirelli Cycling
It’s a partnership that fills us with pride because we’re talking about Pirelli, the absolute reference brand in motorsport racing and which, in cycling, has now embarked on a path of excellence and product innovation. We are ready to win together. Nicola Rosin, Colnago CEO

Pirelli P ZERO Race TLR on Colnago UAE Team Emirates 2022.jpg

Tags:

Related posts

Comments

Jbr

Dec 17, 2021, 1:23 PM

nice ! with all the punctures they will have we might see other teams win grand tours !

Sampaj

Dec 17, 2021, 1:33 PM

Are their tyres known for puncturing easily?

Jbr

Dec 17, 2021, 1:50 PM

16 minutes ago, Sampaj said:

Are their tyres known for puncturing easily?

not really, just a friday post.

I had a set once and punctured twice in 300km. But you now... cape town roads and broken glass ;)

DieselnDust

Dec 17, 2021, 2:26 PM

About time a top team picked them up as sponsor. Excellent tyres 

Thomo

Dec 17, 2021, 4:57 PM

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Excellent tyres 

Relatively well priced too.!

I hope that World Tour involvement doesn't see prices skyrocket. 🤷‍♂️

J Wakefield

Dec 22, 2021, 1:48 PM

I run these tyres and have never had a flat, use the really soft compound and no issues at all. I came back to SA to see my mom and flatted 15min into the 1st ride. 

There no car bottle throwing championships in Europe......

Jbr

Dec 22, 2021, 2:10 PM

20 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

I run these tyres and have never had a flat, use the really soft compound and no issues at all. I came back to SA to see my mom and flatted 15min into the 1st ride. 

It's actually depressing... I don't even want to think about how bad it's going to be on the 1st of jan after all the partying, because it is already so bad...

After two years on tubeless I was so nervous when I hired a bicycle in Alpe d'huez going for a 150km ride and they only gave me one tube. They looked at me weird when I asked if I could get a 2nd one just in case.

DieselnDust

Dec 22, 2021, 2:32 PM

4 years in Europe and I didn't have one puncture on the road, even in good old Great Britain. 

Ride in Cape Town and you learn the German disco moves on the bike very quickly

Furbz

Dec 22, 2021, 2:47 PM

I threw a set of these in the bin after 10 rides - i had 10 separate punctures in the cradle area in that time.

i was running tubes at the time.

but glad they have found a good team!

Headshot

Jan 14, 2022, 11:11 AM

Can you experienced roadies actually determine a performance differential between different tyre brands or is it really just the width and durability ie puncture resistance and comfort that determines which tyres you ride? For instance if I buy an under R400 Maxxis 26c "training tyre", as opposed to a R1000 plus Pirelli or Conti, am I going to be faster? 

DieselnDust

Jan 14, 2022, 12:42 PM

I’ve been running the Pirelli Velo and Velo 4s 25c on my bike for the past two years, just changed to the Pirelli Velo Road 26c.

the new tyre at 26c measures 26mm whereas the old tyres measured 28mm at 90psi. The new tyres at 100psi feel more comfortable than the old at 90psi. 
faster? No I doubt it but the new tyres have a much better feel when cornering that translates into a bit of over confidence in my part. My other bike now has the velo4s on the back and a Vitoria diamante 24C in the front. The Diamanté is inflated to 105psi while the rear 4S is at 90psi . The diamanté feels softer and more compliant at a slightly higher tpi.

so no for you I don’t think it will make much difference. For me purveyor of fine rubber ribbed vs dimpled it’s all about the feel. The longer the ride the more feel you want I guess

buckstopper

Jan 14, 2022, 4:20 PM

Be interesting to see what emerges from the partnership regarding new (especially) tubeless tech. Pirelli will certainly develop until they are on par with the best. Pogocar won't tolerate flats..

DieselnDust

Jan 14, 2022, 5:01 PM

Pirelli is already on par with the best. Their tyres don’t leave anything on the table. Really good rubber

buckstopper

Jan 14, 2022, 5:36 PM

Mmmm, looking for a nice fast set of tubeless tyres. I like the idea of a 26mm, 25s a tad firm, 28s a wee bit fat. I run choopliss at 55-65 psi. 

DieselnDust

Jan 15, 2022, 12:49 PM

I can highly recommend the Velo Race TLR

Headshot

Jan 17, 2022, 10:29 AM

On 12/22/2021 at 3:48 PM, J Wakefield said:

Its a mess out there. I did two road rides in December/Jan and flatted my rear tyre 10k's in on the first one. Amazingly a ride through lower Salt River didn't result in a flat...

Sid the Sloth

Jun 17, 2022, 7:04 PM

Stoke levels with the Pirellis did not look high today in Slovenia

mikkelz

Jun 18, 2022, 1:37 PM

18 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

I enjoyed the footage (and audio) on Lantere Rouge’s YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/lLq9m07wx8c

DieselnDust

Jun 18, 2022, 9:27 PM

On 6/17/2022 at 9:04 PM, Sid the Sloth said:

DieselnDust

Jun 18, 2022, 9:34 PM

If they are using the tubeless tyres I would encourage the team mechanics to run those tyres in before use in a wet race. I had a pretty sketchy CTCT with a rather nervous new rear TLR Race. The front had over 1000km on it already and it was ok but not as good as the std Race  or Race SL tyre with a latex tube. The tubes versions are so much gripper out of the box. Pirelli probably needs to look at the TLR production process. It’s almost like they use too much mould release. 
the flip side is these tyres hardly wear for the first couple of 1000km. 
Key to good grip is a running in period. Maybe even use older tyres that have lots of kms in them in wet conditions 

Mamil

Jun 19, 2022, 8:06 AM

10 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

If they are using the tubeless tyres I would encourage the team mechanics to run those tyres in before use in a wet race. I had a pretty sketchy CTCT with a rather nervous new rear TLR Race. The front had over 1000km on it already and it was ok but not as good as the std Race  or Race SL tyre with a latex tube. The tubes versions are so much gripper out of the box. Pirelli probably needs to look at the TLR production process. It’s almost like they use too much mould release. 
the flip side is these tyres hardly wear for the first couple of 1000km. 
Key to good grip is a running in period. Maybe even use older tyres that have lots of kms in them in wet conditions 

Where do you get latex tubes?

DieselnDust

Jun 19, 2022, 10:47 AM

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

Where do you get latex tubes?

Chainreactioncycles

Evobikes imported them for a short while but don’t anylonger.

whoever does challengetires might have stock but basically they’re hens teeth in SA

Add a comment

You must log in to comment