Events

PPA calls for government action to make roads safer for cyclists

· By Press Office · 23 comments

“We deeply mourn the death of a 47-year- old father of two after another hit and run incident on the notorious Klipheuwel Road close to Durbanville last night, as well as the death of Ronnie Mansell age 71, who was killed after a head on collision with a taxi on his way to the Tsogo Sun Amashova cycling race in Pietermaritzburg on the weekend.”

“There can be no doubt that the time has come for action and investment from government to make our roads safer for the cyclists of South Africa,” says Steve Hayward, chairman of Pedal Power Association, South Africa’s largest cycling association with more than 15 000 members.

It is common knowledge that the number of cyclists and motorists on the roads are increasing each year. “Without a positive intervention from Government, we are going to be seeing more of these unfortunate incidents. Cyclists will be maimed and killed whilst motorists will start going to jail. Representing the broader cycling community – commuters as well as recreational and competitive cyclists – we as PPA challenge the authorities to do more in the protection of the cycling community. This starts in checking the competency of the motorist at a testing level, as well as providing more space for cyclists at a road planning level” says Hayward.

The PPA hears from cyclists across the country who says they feel unsafe on the roads due to poorly designed roads, aggressive driving and the lack of signage as well as not enough safe cycling lanes. “To date no motorists responsible for the death of cyclists have received a meaningful sentence, some even getting off scot-free,” explains Hayward. “There is obviously something wrong with our legal justice system and PPA is not going to sit and watch as criminals get away with murder. If this case has merit, PPA will take the necessary action. As in other cases currently underway, PPA will appoint attorneys/advocates to assist the families,” says Hayward.

According to Hayward, government must work simultaneously on two fronts: To reduce the overall number of casualties while increasing the total number of cyclists on the road.

“Making cycling safer for people of all ages requires us to think about the kind of communities we want to live in,” explains Hayward. “We must accept that cycling is a valid form of transport. In too many cases cycling is treated as an optional extra to be added where there is enough ‘spare space’, and in so doing have failed to protect cyclists,” Hayward explains.

Road infrastructure projects should also consider the safety of cyclists from the earliest stage of planning and development. Beyond infrastructure, authorities should use all the tools at their disposal to promote the safer sharing of the road between drivers and cyclists. “The PPA wishes to encourage local government to consider introducing traffic-calming measures in high-risk areas, to improve the safety of all road users,” says Hayward.

“Starting from the principle that every driver and cyclist should obey the law and treat each other with respect, we suggest that no driver should in future receive a licence without demonstrating a level of respect for more vulnerable road users, including pedestrians,” says Hayward. “The PPA also calls for drivers to be assessed more closely to check their approach to sharing the road with cyclists as well as other road users. Cycle training should also be made available for cyclists of all ages,” Hayward concludes.

Related posts

Comments

nathrix

Oct 14, 2014, 12:32 PM

They should start by making it LAW to have safe cycling paths next to all existing roads and make it a criminal offence when you hit a cyclist with any motorized vehicle as it is a very dangerous weapon which kills and maims! Nough said!

Steven Knoetze (sk27)

Oct 14, 2014, 12:54 PM

What's more shocking is the lqtest trend of hit and run.

Have read of 2 such incidents in the cape in the last week where the offenders reg nr was taken, problem is that nothing happens.

The law protects these offenders, even.if they are fou d guilty they get a fine which is a slap on the wrist.

gogo@

Oct 14, 2014, 1:00 PM

Should automatically become a charge of murder/attempted murder if driver does not stop - if it isn't already.

floatfox

Oct 14, 2014, 1:05 PM

Hit and run to me is murder...things will only get worse for our cyclists if nothing is done..but how do you change the dont care attitude of a lot of the drivers today. By enforcing the law, and that doesnt happen anymore..

floatfox

Oct 14, 2014, 1:07 PM

The other reason people in cars dont care is because they normally dont get hurt when they hit a cyclist. They should really send a few people to jail, then they will start to react.

Stretch

Oct 14, 2014, 1:16 PM

The other reason people in cars dont care is because they normally dont get hurt when they hit a cyclist. They should really send a few people to jail, then they will start to react.

you mean like jub jub...the whole thing is a big moronic mess. The problem is that you can argue a whole lot of scenarios before negligence comes into play - the cyclist swerved in front of me, the sun was in my eyes etc etc...especially if there are no witnesses. But someone not stopping at the scene of the crime - that needs a bigger weighting in the whole argument because that is just dripping with guilt

Stretch

Oct 14, 2014, 1:20 PM

just look at this...things are getting out of control in this country

1972331_579287982199549_4510469562157423

Frosty

Oct 14, 2014, 1:31 PM

just look at this...things are getting out of control in this country

1972331_579287982199549_4510469562157423

My Mom was in the same lane as the canopy, with only a few cars between her and the last car to be hit.

Reminds me of that truck coming down Field's Hill - something needs to be done about road safety in general, and hopefully it will have a positive impact for all road users.

udxcob

Oct 14, 2014, 1:33 PM

Hooray hooray its about time

Gen

Oct 14, 2014, 1:40 PM

They should start by making it LAW to have safe cycling paths next to all existing roads and make it a criminal offence when you hit a cyclist with any motorized vehicle as it is a very dangerous weapon which kills and maims! Nough said!

The problem is that the traffic laws don't get enforced in this country.
gogo@

Oct 14, 2014, 1:58 PM

1. Get 'road onto rail' - don't we have the highest axle load limit in the world? What's that stuff doing there!!

2. Check, police, police and check what's left on the road.

3. Zero tolerance of drunk driving and drugs. Make it mandatory that blood tests etc are done at accidents.

4. Road blocks at hotspots and blitzes around nightclubs where everyone gets to blow into the machine. Over the limit? Night in the cells.

5. Demerit system. Too many points, license suspended and ultimately revoked if necessary.

6. Regulate taxis. Police them and enforce stopping in designated passenger stops.

7. Provide safe affordable public transport.

8. Educate school children regarding road safety.

9. Plan, build and promote cycle lanes.

10. Emphasize traffic policing over revenue collection

11.etc...

Ha ha ha ha, if wishes were horses...

Actually, some of these things are not impossible so why have I become so cynical?

Probably because more and more one sees and hears the attitude that laws are to be obeyed only if and when my personal interpretation is that they are valid! Like stopping for a red light. Or slowing down in a residential area. The idea of behaving in a way that is cooperative and aimed at the common good seems long gone I'm afraid.

gogo@

Oct 14, 2014, 2:00 PM

My Mom was in the same lane as the canopy, with only a few cars between her and the last car to be hit.

Hectic. Also thought of Field's Hill! Glad your mom escaped it...
G e r h a r d Odendaal

Oct 14, 2014, 3:55 PM

Speeding motorists should have their licences PERMANENTLY revoked.

nathrix

Oct 14, 2014, 4:01 PM

The problem is, all of this moaning is falling on death ears.

eelvio

Oct 15, 2014, 11:47 AM

All great ideas but this is where it needs to start.

All driving schools need proper control, your last trainer in the art of driving and they do not bother with courtesy or rules, they teach you how to pass a test.

Da Vinci

Oct 15, 2014, 11:51 AM

All driving schools need proper control, your last trainer in the art of driving and they do not bother with courtesy or rules, they teach you how to pass a test.

All mine did ( I think) was bribe the traffic official doing the test with a bottle of Whiskey....
KarlvN

Oct 15, 2014, 7:48 PM

Should automatically become a charge of murder/attempted murder if driver does not stop - if it isn't already.

Ja right, in a country where you can shoot people in toilets and kill children using a mini cooper while intoxicated and NOT GET CHARGED WITH MURDER! God help us, because clearly we can't do it ourselves! I am just so angry right now! Lord have mercy

Frosty

Oct 16, 2014, 6:34 AM

At the current standard of education, I'd hate to see the results of road education in school should they ever introduce it. 

Frosty

Oct 16, 2014, 6:39 AM

Ja right, in a country where you can shoot people in toilets and kill children using a mini cooper while intoxicated and NOT GET CHARGED WITH MURDER! God help us, because clearly we can't do it ourselves! I am just so angry right now! Lord have mercy

They were CHARGED with murder, but they weren't CONVICTED of murder - but I get your point.

G e r h a r d Odendaal

Jan 28, 2015, 4:13 PM

Its just going to fall on deaf ears.

G e r h a r d Odendaal

Jan 28, 2015, 4:14 PM

Moms with small kids in their cars are the worst on our roads, theyre fast and on their cellphones.

floatfox

Jan 28, 2015, 5:35 PM

I have had a few ladys with suv's pass very closely..Cannot believe how they drive sometimes.

keithbe

Jan 28, 2015, 5:56 PM

The government is the reason why SA is in the international top 10...for, but not limited too, murder/rape rates, declining average life expectancy, number of road deaths and infant mortality rates to name just a few.

Citizens cannot rely on government, for any intervention, on all fronts that are administered by these 'leaders'.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment