Events

PPA demands swift and decisive action after horrific cycling crash in Gauteng

· By Press Office · 43 comments

The Pedal Power Association is demanding swift and decisive action after watching a video of Gauteng cyclist, Darren Fitz-Gerald, who was struck down by a taxi driver on Wednesday morning.

“Seeing it for the first time and not knowing what happens at the end, we were expecting the worst,” explained PPA CEO Robert Vogel. “We have been on the phone with Darren and he was very lucky to get away with minor injuries. He spent the day after the incident recovering in bed and is on his feet again today, working through the aftermath of the crash,” said Vogel.

“We have made contact with well-placed officials in the National Department of Transport, Gauteng Province and the City of Joburg and have sent them the footage and asked them to familiarise themselves with the case and follow the process as it unfolds,” Vogel said.

“There needs to be swift and decisive action as well as consequences for the driver. In too many cases cyclists are treated with disrespect on our roads although they are the most vulnerable of road users. Motorists should take as much care in passing a cyclist as they would do when passing another motor vehicle. Both are legal road users,” he added.

In this case, the taxi driver was already breaking a number of road laws and seemed oblivious to the fact that there was a cyclist up ahead. The taxi driver was also endangering the lives of every other motorist on that stretch of road, his passengers as well as pedestrians on the side of the road. Statistics suggest that the number of unlicensed and un-roadworthy vehicles on our roads are on the increase.

“The time has come for authorities to take action and to enforce the traffic laws. Cyclists are human beings with families. They are training, going to work, riding to school, visiting a friend or just enjoying a different kind of mobility with no protection other than a helmet,” Vogel continued. He urged motorists to be more patient and to slow down behind a cyclist and only pass when it is safe, and to then make sure they pass with a berth of at least 1m.

The PPA says that they are aware that some cyclists also break traffic laws and that these rare actions tarnish all law-abiding cyclists. To ensure safer roads everyone needs to obey the rules of the road.

“The PPA will remain in touch with Darren and will assist where possible to see that justice prevails,” Vogel concluded.

Related posts

Comments

Patchelicious

Nov 18, 2016, 12:55 PM

The Pedal Power Association is demanding swift and decisive action after watching a video of Gauteng cyclist, Darren Fitz-Gerald, who was struck down by a taxi driver on Wednesday morning.

Click here to view the article

Now this is more like it!!

Lets hope they keep fighting this and that it isnt merely a chest puffing.

dave303e

Nov 18, 2016, 12:58 PM

Darren or Darrel?

BigD

Nov 18, 2016, 2:35 PM

Darren or Darrel?

Darrel

Tubehunter

Nov 18, 2016, 2:36 PM

Darrel

OK chaps lets get it right please....

"Darryl"

BigD

Nov 18, 2016, 2:38 PM

OK chaps lets get it right please....

"Darryl"

Darrel!!

Tubehunter

Nov 18, 2016, 2:39 PM

Darrel!!

Indeed you are correct, it is spelt this way! Just went and checked John W's post to confirm!  :thumbup:

(Is that you Darrel?)

BigD

Nov 18, 2016, 2:42 PM

Indeed you are correct, it is spelt this way! Just went and checked John W's post to confirm!  :thumbup:

(Is that you Darrel?)

No, just fortunate enough to still know him

BigD

Nov 18, 2016, 2:45 PM

Apparently the driver didn't have a licence and the car wasn't road worthy or licenced to. Lets hope stricter action is taken against these bastards and not just a slap on the wrist.  :angry:

eccc whippet

Nov 18, 2016, 3:33 PM

let see if any cyclist protest outside the court...

that fella is lucky he went between the vehicles and wasnt hit by the bakkie or ridden over by the taxi...his bike took quite a beating.

the taxi driver pays a fine for not having a license and a fine for vehicle not being road worthy...and nothing changes..

cyclists get killed by drunk drivers...and hit by drunk drivers...even police vehicles get rammed by drunk drivers while attending to accidents and nothing gets done about it...a taxi driver with no license and an unroadworthy vehicle...i doubt much is gona happen...read this article.

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/2016/02/23/unroadworthy-cars-causing-mayhem-on-sa-roads

bikebloke

Nov 18, 2016, 3:40 PM

Now this is more like it!!

Lets hope they keep fighting this and that it isnt merely a chest puffing.

maybe they read the thread on here about how they never do anything ................... :ph34r:

so yes lets hope they do something and its not just PR :huh:

Bobbo_SA

Nov 18, 2016, 3:55 PM

Apparently the driver didn't have a licence and the car wasn't road worthy or licenced to. Lets hope stricter action is taken against these bastards and not just a slap on the wrist.  :angry:

Saw the post this morning that the guy does not even work for the company that is on his "ID" paper.

He should have been locked up for about 5 offences at least. 

carbon29er

Nov 18, 2016, 4:09 PM

maybe they read the thread on here about how they never do anything ................... :ph34r:

so yes lets hope they do something and its not just PR :huh:

My commitment is not to comment on which I think it is.

Other than to say it happened on Wednesday and a press release was issued on Friday. Despite being all over social media on Wednesday.  Which again is factual.

Serious Panda

Nov 18, 2016, 4:09 PM

Saw the post this morning that the guy does not even work for the company that is on his "ID" paper.

He should have been locked up for about 5 offences at least. 

Justice would be a few years in jail for attempted manslaughter, or should this be attempted murder? This was not just an accident.

carbon29er

Nov 18, 2016, 4:11 PM

let see if any cyclist protest outside the court...

that fella is lucky he went between the vehicles and wasnt hit by the bakkie or ridden over by the taxi...his bike took quite a beating.

the taxi driver pays a fine for not having a license and a fine for vehicle not being road worthy...and nothing changes..

What court? All the documentation was fake. The driver is gone. Never existed. From what I read.

City Cycling Athletic Club

Nov 18, 2016, 4:43 PM

when a cycling association has the ears (and membership) of politicians and their campaign is to sell shirts and hand out bibs instead of campaigning to impose stricter penalties on negligent drivers then we will continue to see mayhem on the roads.

(Deon)

Nov 18, 2016, 5:23 PM

Justice would be a few years in jail for attempted manslaughter, or should this be attempted murder? This was not just an accident.

Exactly.. there was something malicious in the driver's actions for sure. Straight stretch of road with good visibility.. and the obvious law breaking that brought on the situation in the first place. This was intentional.

dave303e

Nov 18, 2016, 5:58 PM

Look I don't profess to know anything about ppa, I only picked up the name error because of growing up racing offroad/mx, him and his boet are very well known. But if you gonna be making press releases and demanding actions you should just check the details before posting...

Guest @BAZA

Nov 19, 2016, 5:02 PM

And the SAPS van that drove past on the right in the video didn't even bother to stop mmmm

eccc whippet

Nov 21, 2016, 6:24 AM

What court? All the documentation was fake. The driver is gone. Never existed. From what I read.

no surprise.

dirtrider

Nov 21, 2016, 8:25 AM

At least PPA said something !!! Where are the people that takes you license money and extorts money out of race organizers ? 

CASSIE1975

Nov 21, 2016, 9:42 AM

Would be VERY surprised if anything actually happens to the driver of the taxi...

Skinnyone

Nov 21, 2016, 10:41 AM

Would be VERY surprised if anything actually happens to the driver of the taxi...

Sorry to say, this dude got off with a ticket....with no ID, no drivers license reference, therefore the ticket is null and void...so he got away...

There is no tracing him from now on in...

Why the cops didn't throw him in the slammer from the word go I do not understand...Oh wait...

I got stopped one day on my way home from work and I left my wallet/drivers license at the office, because I couldn't produce it there and then the cop wanted to impound my scooter, and throw me in jail for the night. I got off with some smooth talking and the promise I would produce my license to him the next day...I went to his station at the time given, he wasn't there, so I basically got chased out for wasting other cop's time....

nathrix

Nov 21, 2016, 11:01 AM

At least PPA said something !!! Where are the people that takes you license money and extorts money out of race organizers ? 

VERY good question!

carbon29er

Nov 21, 2016, 11:08 AM

Maybe processing his R20,000 insurance claim for medical expenses assuming he is a member?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment