Events

PPA launches exciting new 180 km team challenge in Free State

· By Press Office · 62 comments

Twenty four years ago, the Pedal Power Association organised the “Double Century” over 200 km for the first time. That year, 229 finishers were listed. Over the years, the venue and route changed from time to time, but the concept of a 12-man team time trial over roughly 200 km remained.

Fast forward to 2015: After selling out in just under 30 minutes in 2014, entries for the 2015 event sold out within a record-breaking 13 minutes, with 256 teams listed on the results page.

Since 1993, the event has only ever been held in the Western Cape, with teams travelling from all corners of South Africa to participate.

That is, until 2016.

ccs-62657-0-47823900-1456142552.jpg

“We are thrilled to announce that the Pedal Power Association will be putting on the MALUTI DOUBLE90 on Saturday 7 May 2016,” said PPA Chairman Steve Hayward. “This follows the Association opening an office in Bloemfontein in 2015.”

Several route and venue options were investigated, with the Eastern Free State town of Clarens emerging as the ideal host for the new event.

Located in the foothills of the Maluti Mountains and slotted between the Golden Gate National Park and the mountain kingdom of Lesotho, Clarens is known as the “Jewel of the Free State” and is the undisputed tourist magnet in this part of the country. The town is roughly equidistant from Bloemfontein and Johannesburg (both some 3 hours normal travel time away), with Durban being 4 hours away.

“Due to the local infrastructure, the Maluti Double90 route will be (only!) 180 km, but looking at the route profile, this will be a tough ride indeed, with the toughest hills concentrated in the last 40km,” Hayward said. “The altitude could also influence participants’ efforts.”

ccs-62657-0-80879600-1456142552.jpg

In Year 1, only 120 teams will be accepted. As for the Coronation Double Century, teams can field up to 12 riders, with the time of the 6th rider counting as the team’s official time. Participants must be 18 or older, although cyclists who turn 18 during 2016 will be able to send in a motivation to be included in a team.

Entries will cost R6500 per team and will be available online. Entries will open at 12h00 on Wednesday 9 March 2016 and will close as soon as the 120 available team spots have been filled or on 25 April, whichever comes first. More information will soon be available on the event website, www.malutidouble90.co.za, which will be live by 1 March.

ccs-62657-0-07840600-1456142553.jpg

Related posts

Comments

Skubarra

Feb 2, 2016, 11:50 AM

Upcountry in Cape Town terms probably means something just beyond Du Toitskloof pass  :ph34r:

But great news!

Thomo

Feb 2, 2016, 11:56 AM

Something to look forward to post CTCT. :clap:

'Dale

Feb 2, 2016, 11:57 AM

Cool

More team events

Great stuff PPAAAAAA

Pure Savage

Feb 2, 2016, 11:59 AM

Something to look forward to post CTCT. :clap:

What you talking about, we looking forward to #CDC2016 already!! 

Wez-O

Feb 2, 2016, 12:05 PM

What you talking about, we looking forward to #CDC2016 already!! 

Not to hijack your thread, but what date is the 2016 DC?

I'd assume a week after 94.7, so 26 Nov?

Pure Savage

Feb 2, 2016, 12:08 PM

Yes that sounds about right, then the STCT would be on the 4th of Dec.

Patchelicious

Feb 2, 2016, 12:11 PM

Any further news on this event? I like these these events where we can come give TPS a run for their money on their home turf...

HdB

Feb 2, 2016, 12:14 PM

The PPA Free State posted some pics of "The Cape Town team thoroughly enjoyed their time in the Eastern Free State", in Golden Gate. Scouting, perhaps?

Pure Savage

Feb 2, 2016, 12:19 PM

The PPA Free State posted some pics of "The Cape Town team thoroughly enjoyed their time in the Eastern Free State", in Golden Gate. Scouting, perhaps?

Thats near Ceres right?

Pure Savage

Feb 2, 2016, 12:21 PM

Any further news on this event? I like these these events where we can come give TPS a run for their money on their home turf...

I have an idea for a new event, the Friday between TOGH and Argus, We can have another TTT on our local Town-chappies-town route. 

No road closures, no toilets, no seeding, but there will be coffee.

Wez-O

Feb 2, 2016, 12:24 PM

Yes that sounds about right, then the STCT would be on the 4th of Dec.

I'm keen to hit up the Stellies Cycle Tour, maybe this is the year...

Patchelicious

Feb 2, 2016, 12:33 PM

I have an idea for a new event, the Friday between TOGH and Argus, We can have another TTT on our local Town-chappies-town route. 

No road closures, no toilets, no seeding, but there will be coffee.

The Friday? So after the race to the top of the Paarl Monument Hill? I was planning on getting very drunk after the finish, but a babalas race around Chappies on Saturday, "first one to puke wins" sounds like a hoot! If so, I'll make sure I stick to Pink Lips, it comes up easier than normal tequila.

KidCharlemagne

Feb 2, 2016, 12:34 PM

So having looked at the PPA newsletter this jumped out as interesting: 

If you liked the Coronation Double Century, you’ll love the new road event that we’re working on… The event will take place early in May, in a very scenic upcountry location. As is the case with the CDC, it will be a team-format event, with up to twelve riders per team. More information to follow soon…

When they say up country, I hope they are talking, Cape Town's version of up country, as I do not think the WC is flooded for events in May!!

Regardless, sounds like an event up our alley!

Hopefully any suggestions posted here are read by PPA :P

attachicon.gifPic.JPG

As per usual, a little self promotion slapped in there for good measure, and people love pictures

Yup, also caught my attention immediately.  I always thought a team event of about 100+ k's will be darn popular in a month where road events are sparse, well, non existent really.  But, I'll take the 180km any day.  Get the location right and we'll have a winner on our hands.  Sweet PPA!

Malpiet

Feb 2, 2016, 12:46 PM

I'm thinking somewhere along the garden route maybe?

Ghost Rider X

Feb 2, 2016, 12:56 PM

Thats near Ceres right?

Clarens

Pure Savage

Feb 2, 2016, 12:56 PM

The Friday? So after the race to the top of the Paarl Monument Hill? I was planning on getting very drunk after the finish, but a babalas race around Chappies on Saturday, "first one to puke wins" sounds like a hoot! If so, I'll make sure I stick to Pink Lips, it comes up easier than normal tequila.

See, this kind of in depth training and forethought is why you chinas from up North one step ahead, boet. :P

Rouxenator

Feb 2, 2016, 1:22 PM

I don't mind teams, but making it open to solo riders would get more entries. I for one would love to take part.

Pure Savage

Feb 2, 2016, 1:25 PM

I don't mind teams, but making it open to solo riders would get more entries. I for one would love to take part.

If you look at the DC which had 220 teams and about 70 on the waiting list, its safe to say they do not need to worry about selling out entries. The team rides are a lekker viab. 

Tubehunter

Feb 2, 2016, 1:29 PM

Every other race is a solo effort. More than enough of those! These team rides make for some serious fun training in the lead up to the event and on the day itself!

City Cycling Athletic Club

Feb 2, 2016, 4:33 PM

Clarens

i think you'r right - ppa goin to spend your money in the free state

DJR

Feb 2, 2016, 5:09 PM

The country can definitely do with another team event like the DC, even if they have to do it in the Free State! :whistling: Or Gauteng! If the upcountry guys don't jump at it in their hordes, then the PPA can bring it down to the Cape, we'll know what to do with it!. :thumbup:

Veebee

Feb 2, 2016, 5:56 PM

i think you'r right - ppa goin to spend your money in the free state

if Clarens then its definitely something I would like to do...

Ghost Rider X

Feb 2, 2016, 6:12 PM

Is this n mtb or road event?

Rouxenator

Feb 2, 2016, 6:34 PM

Is this n mtb or road event?

Probably road. Exclusive to teams...

Add a comment

You must log in to comment