Events

PPA urges government to allow cycling under strict lock down conditions

Supplied by PPA.

· By Press Office · 262 comments

The Pedal Power Association, South Africa’s leading cycling organisation supports Government’s call to South Africans to adhere to strict regulations as we head for a level 4 lockdown phase, effective 01 May 2020.

ccs-62657-0-67720800-1587723924.jpg

“President Ramaphosa pointed out that exercise under strict public health conditions will be allowed and it is for that reason, we have submitted a proposal to the President to allow cycling under strict lockdown conditions,” explains Rens Rezelman, chairman of the PPA.

“For cyclists, these current times are exceptionally frustrating and like the rest of the population, there are many who are extremely worried and justifiably so, about how their jobs and personal income are going to be affected by COVID-19. Despite our personal and varying opinions on the matter, South Africa has to abide by strict lock-down measures and will have to do so for quite some time in the future. The majority of the cycling community has heeded this call to be compliant and for that, they need to be commended,” Rezelman said.

“Based on international practice of regulating cycling in a COVID-19 environment (Australia; New Zealand; and the United Kingdom as points of reference), the PPA believes that limited and regulated cycling activity in these trying times has numerous benefits that outweigh the possible risks associated with the activity. Like most activities in this time, the PPA recognises that the discipline to adhere to these rules are often self-regulated and expect that the cycling community would behave as a microcosm of the larger South African community in this regard,” said Rezelman.

Rezelman believes that the majority of cyclists will comply with the following suggestions made by the PPA :

1. Daily exercise is proven to reduce stress and boost your immune system. After weeks of lockdown (and under stressful economic conditions) many South Africans would benefit from being able to cycle. Your medical experts would be able to verify this statement.
  2. We propose that cyclists may not cycle in groups of more than 2 people (and both cyclists need to reside at the same dwelling);
  3. Cyclists may not cycle for more than 2 hours;
  4. Cyclists may not cycle further than 20km from their place of residence; and
  5. Cyclists may only cycle once a day if doing so recreationally.

According to Rezelman all other safety aspects which is advocated through its safe cycling campaign, such as the wearing of helmets; rear lights; visibility, not riding solo for crime related reasons, adhering to the rules of road as well as social distancing which has now become the norm, would obviously apply as the PPA wants to be part of the solution not the problem.

From a commuter perspective, the PPA believes that by using a bicycle as a mode of transport as opposed to crowded public transport options, the spread of COVID-19 can further be reduced. “The PPA would like to encourage those who have bicycles to use them instead of public transport in this time. We would also like to ask those who have old bicycles to donate them to people who could really use them to be economically mobile in these times,” Rezelman said.

“Cycling is a healthy past-time and it’s proven beyond doubt that regular exercise helps improve the immune system and that’s all we really have right now to combat this virus. We all need to stand together to get through the damage that this virus is causing in the World and in South Africa,” Rezelman explained.

According to Rezelman, South Africans need to accept the realities of the current situation, abide by the rules which are in place to save their lives and live in the hope that this COVID-19 virus too, will pass.

Related posts

Comments

Spinnekop

Apr 24, 2020, 10:40 AM

So he sommer decided what is good and what not for everyone.

Go do some good and stop trying to control people.    

Shame man.

montyzuma

Apr 24, 2020, 10:46 AM

Pretty arbitrary recommendations

Rudii

Apr 24, 2020, 11:02 AM

Even though I'm dying to get on the bike, I'm not sure if this is the rate idea at Level 4.

MORNE

Apr 24, 2020, 11:12 AM

just....dumb. I'm embarrassed for them. 

It reeks of entitlement and i'm not sure it is the best idea putting info like this out there.

Crap like this contributes to the reasons why non-cyclists 'vigorously dislike' cyclist.

Furbz

Apr 24, 2020, 11:23 AM

oh no. PPA strike again!

Jakkals.

Apr 24, 2020, 11:30 AM

wt....f. its about 4 weeks late, this will just make riding in stage 4 a mess.

ChrisF

Apr 24, 2020, 11:39 AM

Some interesting, if not agressive, feedback .....

Would like to hear how others would have worded their representation .... bearing in mind some will try to oppose this, and that the proposal needs to stand up to scrutiny.  Such scrutiny WILL focus on the potential risks of spreading the virus !  "limited range" and "limited exposure" was always going to be part of the process.

HdB

Apr 24, 2020, 11:53 AM

The PPA suggestions seem fairly similar to rules in place elsewhere, such as the UK. I could work with these, though to be honest I'll probably stay on Zwift/Rouvy for a bit longer, to be extra sure my wife is safe.

Quagga

Apr 24, 2020, 12:10 PM

Arg tog. Could they not just let the Gov come with some proposal? Now PPA want to suggest rules?

What difference would 1 or 2 or 3 hours riding make ?

Is the virus only going for people riding longer than 2 hours? Eish PPA.

City Cycling Athletic Club

Apr 24, 2020, 12:27 PM

from what i understand CSA & ASA have been working from day 1 of the lockdown through SASCOC to the Minister of Sport requesting relaxing the restrictions for their members nationally. so far no relaxing iow stay at home. lets see what the sports minister comes up with for the 1st May

DieselnDust

Apr 24, 2020, 12:28 PM

The Pedal Power Association, South Africa’s leading cycling organisation supports Government’s call to South Africans to adhere to strict regulations as we head for a level 4 lockdown phase, effective 01 May 2020.

Click here to view the article

LOL and the gov is going to allow exercise without these conditions. Ask for 2hrs they give you 1.

Idiots.

Its not restricted in other countries like Australia and NZ or the UK as long as social distancing is respected.

Jakkals.

Apr 24, 2020, 12:30 PM

Some interesting, if not agressive, feedback .....

Would like to hear how others would have worded their representation .... bearing in mind some will try to oppose this, and that the proposal needs to stand up to scrutiny.  Such scrutiny WILL focus on the potential risks of spreading the virus !  "limited range" and "limited exposure" was always going to be part of the process.

The list indicate where riding would make sense if it was a hard lockdown.

Duane_Bosch

Apr 24, 2020, 12:39 PM

Arg tog. Could they not just let the Gov come with some proposal? Now PPA want to suggest rules?

The government.

Is this the same government that's been robbing us blind and destroying every single thing they come into contact with? That government? 

Thanks but I'd rather have the PPA put forward suggestions.

Icycling

Apr 24, 2020, 12:48 PM

Only comment - I wish it could be 30km (point 4) - that's about 2 hours out and back (also get me to Cape Point and back 58km from my house). Point 3 I am sure many people would prefer 3 hours - I hardly ever ride more than 2 hours. Finally should PPA make suggestion or just leave it as exercise suggested by the president, let it be - and see if the President come up with restriction? That's a question!

Seems I posted the PPA article under "Coronavirus and training outdoors"at the same time Press office post it in this new thread! Are they watching me?

Prince Albert Cycles

Apr 24, 2020, 12:53 PM

LOL and the gov is going to allow exercise without these conditions. Ask for 2hrs they give you 1.

Idiots.

Its not restricted in other countries like Australia and NZ or the UK as long as social distancing is respected.

UK is one hour and Aus is " in your neighborhood "
BaGearA

Apr 24, 2020, 12:58 PM

Okay but will it extend to everyone like surffers runners ect 

I know it's been brought up before but it's so obvious that this can't be exclusive to cyclists 

FondTF2

Apr 24, 2020, 12:58 PM

As long as they allow courier services to resume so that I can receive my much needed IDT

Fat Boab

Apr 24, 2020, 1:10 PM

Are PPA SA's leading cycling organisation? Genuine question. And if so, by what measure?

DieselnDust

Apr 24, 2020, 1:11 PM

As long as they allow courier services to resume so that I can receive my much needed IDT

ecommerce and courier services seem to be allowed.

Okay but will it extend to everyone like surffers runners ect 

I know it's been brought up before but it's so obvious that this can't be exclusive to cyclists 

PPA is a cycling organisation......

Surfing has to happen from a beach and those are closed.

MORNE

point is...they came with these arguably overzealous/greedy suggestions....the only thing that will happen is the Cele's will come out and say "screw those privileged bicycle straddling bastards...NO riding of bicycles. NON...ZERO...and while we are at it, ban bicycles forever.... Because hospital beds and crashing and reasons related to the fact that the poor dont have bicycles...so nobody rides one"

Like they did with the whole dog walking thing....just because it was mentioned and made a thing...it got totally shut down.

'Sometimes it is better to keep quiet or say sorry than to ask permission'  - comes to mind...

I wont be surprised if cycling actually now gets specifically mentioned/called out  as not being allowed  because the PPA's suggestions made it abundantly clear that people will abuse exercise privileges.

IMO there is a better chance now that it will be 'outlawed' until a certain lockdown level because it might be on their radar now.

DieselnDust

Are PPA SA's leading cycling organisation? Genuine question. And if so, by what measure?

Number of paid up members vs cash in the bank....

eddy

Apr 24, 2020, 1:16 PM

ecommerce and courier services seem to be allowed.

The Government docs say only in stage 3  :cursing:

Skubarra

Apr 24, 2020, 1:16 PM

Can you name any others?

stefmeister

Apr 24, 2020, 1:18 PM

point is...they came with these arguably overzealous/greedy suggestions....the only thing that will happen is the Cele's will come out and say "screw those privileged bicycle straddling bastards...NO riding of bicycles. NON...ZERO...and while we are at it, ban bicycles forever.... Because hospital beds and crashing and reasons related to the fact that the poor dont have bicycles...so nobody rides one"

Like they did with the whole dog walking thing....just because it was mentioned and made a thing...it got totally shut down.

'Sometimes it is better to keep quiet or say sorry than to ask permission'  - comes to mind...

I wont be surprised if cycling actually now gets specifically mentioned/called out  as not being allowed  because the PPA's suggestions made it abundantly clear that people will abuse exercise privileges.

IMO there is a better chance now that it will be 'outlawed' until a certain lockdown level because it might be on their radar now.

Yeah, but think about those poor orthopedists without income now, they need collar bones and ACLs to fix.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment