Events

Prize purse announced for FNB Wines2Whales MTB race

· By Press Office · 10 comments

Riders preparing to take on the FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Race the weekend of 07 – 09 November 2014 will be pleased to hear that the prize purse for the 2014 event has increased to R350 000.00.

ccs-62657-0-27919200-1412668478.jpg

“We are privileged to once again be in a position to implement a substantial prize purse increase,” says Michael Meyer, Director FNB W2W MTB Events. “We are very excited to have FNB as the title sponsor of the FNB W2W MTB events for the second year running. This partnership has enabled us to implement a number of exciting changes including once again increasing our prize purse for the FNB W2W MTB Race. This is a huge feat for an event that is now only in its 6th year”.

In addition to the Prize Purse increase for the FNB W2W MTB Race, an additional R30 000.00 has been allocated to the

ISUZU King and Queen of the Mountain that will be at an undisclosed location on Day 2 of each event: Adventure, Ride and Race. The first men’s and women’s team to cross this point will win R5000.00.

Although the prize money only applies to the FNB W2W MTB Race, riders taking part in the FNB W2W MTB Adventure and Ride can look forward to winning awesome lucky draw prizes compliments of our sponsors.

Full prize money breakdown attached.

2014 FNB W2W MTB RACE Prize Purse Breakdown Prize Purse.pdf

Event Information:

Starting in the Winelands of Somerset West, riders cross through (and over) 13 wineries, 26 private farms, six mountains, historic roads and mountain passes, nature conservation areas (including the Kogelberg Biosphere) before finishing within sight of the famous whales of Hermanus!

FNB Wines2Whales MTB Adventure: 31 October 2014 until 02 November 2014

FNB Wines2Whales MTB Ride: 03 November 2014 until 05 November 2014

FNB Wines2Whales MTB Race: 07 November 2014 until 09 November until 2014

Stage One

Start: Lourensford Wine Estate (Somerset West)

Finish: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)

Stage Two

Start: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)

Finish: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)

Stage Three

Start: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)

Finish: Onrus Caravan Park (just outside Hermanus)

Like our Facebook page: Wines2Whales

Follow us on Twitter: @w2wmtb

About FNB Wines2Whales:

FNB Business and FNB Private Clients have made a joint commitment to sponsor the annual Wines2Whales Mountain Bike Events.

FNB’s ongoing strategy is to support local and community events that show the potential to grow. This sponsorship affirms our dedication to providing an experience that is beyond expectation, through a sport that continues to grow in popularity as one of the key activities in the South African sporting calendar.

The annual FNB Wines2Whales Mountain Bike Events are aligned to our belief that adventure is the heart of innovation and this is one of many platforms on which we seek to make a lasting connection with new and existing clients.

Related posts

Comments

Meezo

Oct 7, 2014, 8:24 AM

no enduro prize money?

TALUS

Oct 7, 2014, 2:54 PM

I am sure 90% of the field couldn't care less about the prize money. Explain to me again why it is important.

Big JD

Oct 7, 2014, 3:53 PM

I am sure 90% of the field couldn't care less about the prize money. Explain to me again why it is important.

Make that 98%

AuctionLamb

Oct 8, 2014, 7:15 AM

most of the "pro's" live of handouts...if there is R1000 up for grabs at a race they all there! Even if it costs them a R1000 to get there...

lesego.2

Oct 21, 2014, 2:25 PM

Ride for the love of mtb!

arendoog

Oct 21, 2014, 2:29 PM

most of the "pro's" live of handouts...if there is R1000 up for grabs at a race they all there! Even if it costs them a R1000 to get there...

EPO is costly !

GLuvsMtb

Oct 21, 2014, 2:36 PM

It IS important. if we want young talent to take up the sport and represent SA on the world stage we need events with proper prize money.

Having the riders from Europe here to compete for the prize money also elevates the event status and makes for good, interesting racing.

We won't see these guys on the Adventure, which is a bit of a shame, as I found on races like Pioneer that they are often just regular guys that like a beer or 2 after a stage.

JohanMalan

Oct 21, 2014, 3:02 PM

Prize money should be proportional to the amount of participants in each category, surely the most fair way. The Elite/pro riders could perhaps have a different scale of remuneration.

Shebeen

Oct 21, 2014, 3:26 PM

just out of interest, I had a look at the prize purse split.

It is totally gender neutral, equal money for male/female. 

It treats the mixed cat as an afterthought.

Teams finished(2013)/prizemoney allocated(2014)

Male: 509/R170k

Female: 16/R170k

Mixed: 60/R10k

This is not an exact science, but I don't have the 2013 split(sure it's on the web somewhere, total was R305k). 

I wonder why more mixed teams don't split into women pairings, because there's prizemoney going begging there. (there's R15k up for grabs in the masters women section, 0 entrants in last years results!)

Firozfx

Oct 21, 2014, 3:36 PM

Pssst. Might get some okes posing as girls. [emoji133]

Add a comment

You must log in to comment