Events

Reminder of the UCI Rule 1.2.019 – Forbidden Races

· By Press Office · 33 comments

Cycling South Africa would like to remind all licenced cyclists that the UCI rule 1.2.019 pertaining to Forbidden Races is to be adhered to as part of the UCI Rules for the General Organisation of Cycling as a Sport (please click here for the UCI rules http://www.cyclingsa.com/s/20150216_1-GEN-20150101-E_English.pdf ).

Any licenced rider participating in an unsanctioned event faces a ban or a fine from the UCI. This applies to Mountain Bike and Road events.

Please note that the UCI rule 1.2.019 pertaining to Forbidden Races only applies to full racing licence holders and not to those cyclists that hold a general Cycling South Africa membership. The full racing licence is for cyclists from the age of 17-years-old who wish to be eligible for provincial and national selection and respective colours award.

This UCI rule prohibits licence holders from participating in any event that has not been included on the national, continental or the UCI’s world calendar or in an event that has not been recognised by the National Federation, the continental confederation or the UCI.

As an affiliate of the UCI, Cycling South Africa is obliged to conform to their rules and regulations.

Any cycling event that is not listed on Cycling South Africa’s calendar is considered as non-sanctioned and licensed riders participating in such events will be in violation of rule the UCI rule 1.2.019 pertaining to Forbidden races.

All licensed and professional riders must make note of this as well as with the penalties referred to in rule 1.2.021.

Forbidden races

1.2.019 No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

Depending on the circumstances, a national federation and the UCI may grant special exceptions for particular races or events run in its own country.

Particular races or events may consist of:

• Events organised occasionally only and which do not belong to the organised sports movement;
  • Events whose format is not covered by the UCI regulations.

Any national federation intending to grant a special exception must submit its reasoned request to the UCI administration in the beginning of the season and at least two months before the respective event. The decision of the UCI in this respect is final and shall not be subject to appeal.

1.2.020 Licence holders may not participate in activities organised by a national federation that has been suspended, save in application of article 18.2 of the UCI constitution.

1.2.021 Breaches of articles 1.2.019 or 1.2.020 shall render the licence holder liable to one month’s suspension and a fine of CHF 50 to 100.

Comments

Spotter

May 20, 2015, 9:56 AM

bull**** rules!!

jcza

May 20, 2015, 10:11 AM

Why the reminder? Just name the race rather. 

Zatek

May 20, 2015, 10:38 AM

Sorry wrong thread

2 X 2

May 20, 2015, 10:41 AM

Why the reminder? Just name the race rather. 

i also wonder about this one

HappyMartin

May 20, 2015, 10:41 AM

agreed. Other teams help each other in many ways and now it is a problem. Think the UCI is sending the wrong message.

There is no problem if the peloton wait for the yellow jersey if there is a problem.

This is wishful thinking but the peloton must stop and wait for Porte to cross the finish line until the time penalty has passed and then cross the finish line.

This rule pertains to not being allowed to ride non sanctioned races. Nothing to do with what is happening in Italy

Pure Savage

May 20, 2015, 10:47 AM

Would cycling South Africa like to list these events? Is this the Hub or CSA notification board?

RocknRolla

May 20, 2015, 10:50 AM

yaaaaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!

but for the hub record I too want to know what race they are talking about.

Didnt they try this with the big ride in the cape once?

and when the EWS just kicked off the same thing made one or two minor headlines....

rattlesnake

May 20, 2015, 10:51 AM

Agreed - just name the races.

Anyways this rule is idiotic to say the least.

SwissVan

May 20, 2015, 10:51 AM

Soo... what popular unsanctioned race in sunny SA is taking place in the near future?

SwissVan

May 20, 2015, 10:53 AM

Agreed - just name the races.

Anyways this rule is idiotic to say the least.

CTA rule # 1

1. Never be specific.

V12man

May 20, 2015, 10:53 AM

Where are the constitutional scholars? seems kind of wrong to me....

Pure Savage

May 20, 2015, 10:54 AM

Maybe the next article should be: "Reminder to the UCI/CSA from the general public: No one cares. We going to do what we want anyway."

RocknRolla

May 20, 2015, 10:54 AM

'spose it's the same as when I drop my kids off at their gran and tune them: "Moenie *** maak nie!"

I know they gonna do it, but I will not be there to catch them....

the nerd

May 20, 2015, 10:55 AM

Magalies Monster?

Spinnekop

May 20, 2015, 11:01 AM

Kremetart?

rattlesnake

May 20, 2015, 11:03 AM

This rule smacks of self interest and political interference... clearly CSA want a piece of everything.

Shebeen

May 20, 2015, 11:05 AM

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-ignore-the-uci.png

maybe they just firing the first warning shots for 2016 Argus/Cape cycle tour.

Shebeen

May 20, 2015, 11:06 AM

if it's singlespeed champs they're referring to then we need to get some pipebombs together

RocknRolla

May 20, 2015, 11:13 AM

I can guarantee it's not SS champs.

There is no racing happening at that event...well I was certainly not capable of "RACING"

The real event happens at the bar anyways....

2 X 2

May 20, 2015, 11:15 AM

Monster and Kremetart both on the calendar.  i heard that CSA told the Kremetart organizers to move the event back from the planned 13 June to the 6th of June

Wil6

May 20, 2015, 11:20 AM

Is the Cape Town Cycle Tour not a non sanctioned event?

davem

May 20, 2015, 11:27 AM

So curiosity got the better of me and I downloaded the document and read what seemed like the relevant sections.

The specific rule "No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI."

Licence holder means a racing licence and what the UCI call a 'Cycling for All' licence. So everyone who is a member of CSA.

Event is not defined that I could see. They have a whole section on Races and the registration thereof but they only talk about races that have been approved or have applied to be approved. A race is only a race if included on a national or international calendar.

In terms of the specific words in that document, a CSA member could be sanctioned (in their opninion/intent) for participating in a charity fund raising event (possibly even if it was in a different sport.).

IMO, the document is ambiguous and very poorly written. A decent lawyer would pull that to pieces quite easily. (I am not a lawyer but do read a lot of legal docs).

arendoog

May 20, 2015, 12:19 PM

Has to be the Kremetart .Roadies are always squabbling about such stuff

HappyMartin

May 20, 2015, 12:20 PM

Has to be the Kremetart .Roadies are always squabbling about such stuff

You mean like the meltdown that occurred when the Epic riders thought they might not be able to do the Argus?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment