Events

Richard Murray prepared for Rio with 38 days to go

· By Press Office · 1 comment

With just more than a month to go before the world’s best athletes and teams head to Rio de Janeiro for 2016 Olympic Games excitement is building for what is the biggest and most talked about sporting event in the world.

It’s estimated that over 10,500 athletes are expected to compete in over 306 events during the 16 days of the Games. South African Richard Murray will be amongst that number when he competes in the Men’s Triathlon on 18 August.

ccs-62657-0-18345700-1467185930.jpgPhoto: Mark Dadswell/Red Bull Content Pool.

Murray (27) is not only rated as one of the top triathletes in the world, but is also one of South Africa’s best hopes for a medal come the Rio Games. Murray won his first senior World Championships title recently when he was crowned World Duathlon champion precisely two months after breaking his collarbone in a crash during the WTS Gold Coast in Australia.

The crash disrupted Murray’s preparation for Rio, but that hasn’t stopped the hardworking South African to keep his hopes high. He will race his first triathlon race on 16 July in Germany at the WTS Hamburg. That will be his first full triathlon race since the crash and also his only before Rio.

“To win my first senior World title mere months after the huge crash was such a confidence booster and it has given me even more motivation to work hard with the eye on Rio,” said Murray.

Supporters of South Africa and Murray are encouraged to share their messages of support for the triathlete by using the hashtag #IRIDEWITHRICH in the lead up to, during and after the Summer Games. Within the next month Murray will chose some of his favourites in time to put them on his helmet to keep him motivated and energized throughout the race.

To see all the messages sent to Murray, head to: www.redbull.co.za/IRIDEWITHRICH

Comments

_David_

Jul 14, 2016, 10:02 AM

I see Javier Gomez is out of the Rio 2016 Olympics.

http://www.tri247.com/article_15132.html

Add a comment

You must log in to comment