Events

Richard Murray shows readiness for Rio triathlon despite drama

· By Press Office · 4 comments

Richard Murray showed with his first triathlon race back after he broke his collarbone in April that he will be ready for the Olympic Games come August in Rio.

ccs-2-0-25511100-1468836558.jpgRichard Murray racing against Mario Mola at WTS Hamburg ​on Saturday. Credit: ITU, Janos Schmidt

Once again the WTS Hamburg proved to be a less than happy race for Murray. Like last year he got a time penalty. This time the 10 seconds cost him, Mario Mola and the spectators a chance at an out and out foot race to the finish-line between the two best sprinters on the world triathlon stage. Murray had no idea about the penalty and when he realised he stopped for the 10 seconds and asked the official for an explanation but none was given. The always emotional and passionate Murray showed his anger and frustration with the situation and in the end his second place was taken away and he was disqualified for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Murray’s penalty was because he by accident put his wetsuit in the wrong box at the transition point after the swim.

“I was so angry because I did not know what the penalty was for at that stage. Not knowing why I had a penalty was very frustrating and having to miss out on a footrace with Mario was so disappointing,” said Murray. “I lost my cool as I ran towards the finish, but it was in the heat of the moment. I do realise that getting this angry will have repercussions, but I think it would be nice if the reason for the penalty were communicated to the athletes. Only fair I think. It was not nice seeing another athlete standing on the podium in my second place. I should have controlled the situation better.”

Before all this drama the race was going kind of perfect for Murray. He had a great swim, controlled bike-leg and then he and Mola took the race away from everyone else by running like only they can. Their times over the 5km run leg were 14 minutes and 17 seconds.

ccs-2-0-40871200-1468836433.jpgPhoto: Craig Kolesky/Red Bull Content Pool

“I am really happy with how my body felt and how everything came together on the day. The swimming is almost there and I felt amazing during the race.”

Murray only had two races – the World Duathlon Championships and Saturday’s race – before Rio after he crashed in Australia in April. He was included in Team South Africa for Rio last Thursday and showed on Saturday in Hamburg that the crash did not ruin his medal chances.

Supporters of South Africa and Murray are encouraged to share their messages of support for the triathlete by using the hashtag #IRIDEWITHRICH in the lead up to, during and after the Summer Games. Within the next weeks Murray will chose some of his favourites in time to put them on his helmet to keep him motivated and energized throughout the race. To see all the messages sent to Murray, head to: www.redbull.co.za/IRIDEWITHRICH

Comments

Gerhardc

Jul 18, 2016, 11:15 AM

Personally I feel that he shouldn't become and act like a Prima Donna!!

Race organisers and admin staff do not have the time during a race to explain to athletes the reasons for their penalties....plain and simple remedy is NOT to put your wetsuit in the wrong and in ANOTHER athletes box!!!

When you are called for a 10 second penalty......believe me...there is a valid reason!! 

Hopefully he's learned something from this prior to RIO.  I wish him the best!

Shebeen

Jul 18, 2016, 12:07 PM

Triathlon and all their special rules. . . . 

didn't see the hissy fit, but when you're gearing up for a sprint finish and this happens, what's best for the sport?

FCH

Jul 23, 2016, 8:20 AM

Agree with Gerhard, if the penalty was wrong and that cost you the race; then throw your toys. But he was wrong, plain and simple, told to serve his penalty and then thought it charming to show up-yours to the organizers at the finish.

Leave that nonsense to those overpaid hissy fitters, called footballers.

It was poor form, plain and simple. The same rules apply to all participants, there is nothing "special" about you just because you are racing at the front.

Wheelsuck

Jul 25, 2016, 7:48 AM

When you are on the rivet and racing for podium to be called by the technical official for a penalty, they should give him a reason. If you look at the footage he clearly asks them "why" a couple of times. I think the red mist from Richard and the lack communication from the technical officials lead to this. He apologized and let's hope he gets it all right in Rio.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment