Events

Riders descend on Onrus at FNB W2W MTB Adventure

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Stage of the FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Adventure was met with high spirits on Sunday, 28 October 2017 with mountain bikers preparing to say goodbye to the winelands as they head out on a magnificent 71km journey from Oak Valley Wine Estate to the Onrus Caravan Park.

ccs-58780-0-85373800-1509280287.jpgMountain bikers in action during Stage Three of the FNB Wines2Whales MTB Adventure. Photo Credit: Tobias Ginsberg

Team Sukkel Sukkel’s Francois Theron and Fritz Pienaar obliterated the field completing Stage Three in 03 hours 03 minutes 27 seconds, securing their second stage victory for the weekend. They also claimed the overall victory for all three days in an impressive combined time of 09 hours 56 minutes 59 seconds over 210km. “Our legs came together today,” says Theron. “It was a great finish after three days of racing. We didn’t really train, but the trails made up for it. The FNB W2W MTB Adventure was a lot of fun.”

“Francois’ legs were around the whole weekend. Mine only came today,” laughs Pienaar. “Stage Three is the real play day for me. The single track is great. It’s the perfect end to the weekend. The FNB W2W MTB Adventure was amazing.”

Team Dream Real Digital’s Waldo Zevenster and Carl Toua secured the second spot on the podium after three days of racing, with Team Stoneys’ Vernon Visser and Tim Ellerbeck coming in third.

Team Like Mother Like Daughter’s Lolita Van Aardt and Simone Rhoda Van Aardt secured victory in the women’s race completing three days of racing in a combined time of 12 hours 20 minutes 43 seconds. “I’m not in the greatest shape this year,” laughs Lolita. “Simone killed me. She’s super strong. Wines2Whales is a great event for families. There are fathers riding with sons, while brothers and sisters also team up. It is great for the whole family. The stages aren’t too long. I would suggest that you train though. It really does make the event more enjoyable.”

Team Oakley Group Girls’ Janine Muller and Mari du Toit secured the second spot on the podium, with Team Wines2Whales’ Erica Green and Reinette Geldenhuis finishing third.

Team Rotsvas’ Anton and Adrienne Moolman claimed victory in the mixed team category completing all three stages in a deserving combined time of 10 hours 40 minutes 12 seconds. “Today was nice and fast,” says Adrienne. “We took advantage of the technical sections. Wines2Whales is really nice. It’s good riding and the chill zones are great.”

“This is definitely one of the best events in the country,” says Anton. “I’ll recommend it to all riders.”

Theresa Ralph and Hamish Knowles of Team Galileo Risk claimed the second spot on the podium after three days of racing, while Team Boys & Bikes’ Petrus and Yzette Oelofse finished third.

“Mountain Biking is a growing sport in South Africa with an increasingly diverse appeal and we are delighted to provide this incredible platform. We would like to congratulate the winners of the Adventure stage and all the participants who came out this year,” said Mike Vacy-Lyle, CEO FNB Business.

RESULTS Stage Three – FNB W2W MTB Adventure.xlsx

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment