Events

Riders to test themselves in two-stage Paarl race

· By Press Office · 18 comments

Mountain bikers will have a rare opportunity to compete in a two-day stage race when the Sanlam MTB Invitational is held at Rhebokskloof Wine Estate near Paarl on November 19 and 20.

Previously a one-day event, route director Darren Herbst said he and ASG Events chief executive Wynand de Villiers had felt there was a gap in the market for a race of this nature over a weekend.

ccs-62657-0-02542200-1478520982.jpgRiders can look forward to some exciting new sections when the Sanlam MTB Invitational two-stage race takes place near Paarl on November 19 and 20. Photo: Supplied

“I think there’s a demand for two-day stage races, as opposed to the traditional three-day or even longer ones.

“With the stunning terrain around the mountain and what we have to offer, Wynand and I felt this was the perfect event to do it. So we have taken the chance to see how it goes.”

Herbst said race organisers were seldom completely satisfied with their product but admitted he was excited about the mix of trails for this year’s Sanlam MTB Invitational.

He and his team have been hard at work for the past three months creating some new sections around Paarl Mountain, as well as improving existing tracks.

Herbst said most of these were incorporated in the first stage over 60km, while the second day of 40km would be largely similar to last year as it “worked well”.

The first stage circumvents the entire mountain anti-clockwise from Rhebokskloof, with the notable addition of some trails on the Suid-Agter Paarl side, which connects Rhebokskloof with Spice Route Estate without having to summit the mountain.

“As a route director, nothing is ever perfect,” said Herbst.

“After every race you sit down to analyse things and you feel you could have done this or that better. Then you add the riders’ comments and try to keep improving the route.”

Herbst said to his knowledge nobody had ever created a trail around Paarl Mountain. According to him, the route consisted of single and jeep track as well as contour roads.

“My thinking was that, especially on the southern side of Paarl, the views traversing the mountain are so spectacular you almost don’t want too much single-track where you have to concentrate on the route and miss out on the scenery.”

He added that day one went through a vast variety of terrain as the farms encompassed more than just vineyards.

“There is great diversity such as olive orchards, cattle farms, lucerne fields and nuts,” said Herbst.

“The land has been owned by generations of farmers and it is their pride and joy.

“They have looked after their properties so well and the type of terrain you are going through is absolutely spectacular. We are excited about that.”

He said they had created some new sections from Rhebokskloof to the Spice Route and had re-sculpted the second stage route to make for faster-flowing single-track.

“There are one or two stings in the tail like a few gorges to go through and some tough climbs, but if the guys take it in their stride they will enjoy it.”

From a Sanlam and ASG point of view, Herbst said they had listened to what the riders had said and adapted some of last year’s sections of what will now be stage two.

“So many people want to ride that single-track but have been too nervous because there are some tricky sections.

“To accommodate everyone, we have widened the single-track and made some amendments which makes it much more flowing and a better experience.”

He added that they had reduced the amount of climbing on this stage to balance the route out as “there are some big climbs”.

They had negotiated, he said, with 52 landowners to set up the route, which had presented its own issues.

“There were challenges because if just even one landowner doesn’t buy in to your idea, it is back to the drawing board.

“But Paarl is a spectacular place and everyone works together. The majority of landowners are very excited about it and gave us great support.”

Herbst said they were still finalising the waterpoints but added they would probably have four on the first day and three on the second.

Comments

GLuvsMtb

Nov 7, 2016, 12:42 PM

At R2500 a rider expect to get only the big corporates entering the event. Yes the swag looks nice, but I'm sure most of us have a nice pair of sunnies and a decent jacket somewhere.

Oufy MTB (Roadie)

Nov 7, 2016, 1:00 PM

Origin of trails is like more than half the price and last year I did it for the first time and wish I had more time to eat. I don't have the time for 3 day events nor the funds. So affordable 2 day stage races are very welcomed.so come on knock that price down

Rider3000

Nov 7, 2016, 1:10 PM

2.5 ??? Yoh !   aiikonna... 

Skubarra

Nov 7, 2016, 1:15 PM

so come on knock that price down

Entries already closed...

I am very curious as to how well this will work. They are obviously not trying to attract the masses, more a corporate CEO type event. ASG also do the Winelands Encounter (and a few others up north) which is a similarly "priced & specced" event so I gather they have a clear strategy in mind.

Did the event 2 years ago and Day 2 again this year on invitation. Was  a well organised & enjoyable day out last time I did it. Would I pay 2,5K for 2 days, no, but then I'm also not the target market.

Oufy MTB (Roadie)

Nov 7, 2016, 8:13 PM

my elbow is broken so I'm out for the rest of the year but do hope there are more affordable 2 day stage races in the future. I really think there can be more.Affordable

ChunkyMonkey

Nov 8, 2016, 3:26 AM

Origin rules!!!

????????

Hairy

Nov 8, 2016, 3:35 AM

wow guy's. ......so the message in the marketing blurb is very strong 're dumbing down the route selection and then dumbing down the st where they will be going through because "many of the rider's " from last year found the st too tough. .....now what about those locals who ride those trails throughout the year!

Comments re price, if the race has an asg tag you can expect to pay lots more for the entry

stefmeister

Nov 8, 2016, 6:40 AM

wow guy's. ......so the message in the marketing blurb is very strong 're dumbing down the route selection and then dumbing down the st where they will be going through because "many of the rider's " from last year found the st too tough. .....now what about those locals who ride those trails throughout the year!

Comments re price, if the race has an asg tag you can expect to pay lots more for the entry

Yeah, problem is people think mountain biking is riding on farms through vineyards.

“There is great diversity such as olive orchards, cattle farms, lucerne fields and nuts,” said Herbst.

Wtf, is that even a selling point? :eek:  :wacko:  :huh:

Thor Buttox

Nov 8, 2016, 6:48 AM

I thought the headline was a new directive from SAIDS. #peesticks

GLuvsMtb

Nov 8, 2016, 6:54 AM

Entries already closed...

I am very curious as to how well this will work. They are obviously not trying to attract the masses, more a corporate CEO type event. ASG also do the Winelands Encounter (and a few others up north) which is a similarly "priced & specced" event so I gather they have a clear strategy in mind.

Did the event 2 years ago and Day 2 again this year on invitation. Was  a well organised & enjoyable day out last time I did it. Would I pay 2,5K for 2 days, no, but then I'm also not the target market.

I fully agree with this sentiment, and its not at all a bad ploy to focus your event on the Corporate types out there, and to keep it small, which I think keeping it small is more a function of price than doing so by design. It is also a useful tool for ASG to "add value" by supplying merchandise from their range of cycling apparel.

If my broker / banker / employer / dad is paying, I'd probably ride it as well, but for R5 000 for 2 people, I can think of way more ways to have fun, on and off the bike, for a weekend (when its my own money).

kingalton

Nov 8, 2016, 7:37 AM

I am riding the event, will let you guys know how it goes..

GLuvsMtb

Nov 8, 2016, 8:05 AM

Did you pay yourself or were you invited?

soconnor

Nov 8, 2016, 8:43 AM

I was "invited" to ride but they still wanted me to pay my own entry fees so I politely declined.

kingalton

Nov 8, 2016, 12:56 PM

Did you pay yourself or were you invited?

paid ourselves

GLuvsMtb

Nov 8, 2016, 12:58 PM

paid ourselves

Looking forward to your feedback then. I'm really interested to see if higher end 'boutique' events are sustainable (outside of the ACE of course).
kingalton

Nov 8, 2016, 1:19 PM

Looking forward to your feedback then. I'm really interested to see if higher end 'boutique' events are sustainable (outside of the ACE of course).

cool, will let you know..

Look586

Nov 21, 2016, 5:18 PM

I had the opportunity to take part in the Sanlam MTB race over the past weekend & would like to give the following race review:

The first question will always be, was it good value? I can truly say that i have done all of the big stage races (with the exception of the Epic) & this one rates right up there. Awesome hospitality  & great vibe make for a truly memorable experience. Considering that the goody-bag was packed with goodies, worth probably the same as the entry, gave it an even bigger value for money "tag"! A lot better than most stage races.

The route was absolutely awesome. If I recall correctly the race had access to more than 50 farms around the mountain & getting buy-in from all the land owners plus trail building, accumulates to 100's of hours of meetings & hard work.

The 2nd stage, on the Sunday, ended as a family affair with kids running around on the beautiful Rhebokskloof wine estate & everyone enjoying the incredible hospitality. Usually post race the organisers struggle to keep the people at the venue for the prize giving. This was not the case at the Sanlam MTB race. Hundreds of people stayed well after the prize giving enjoying great food, Rhebokskloof wine & even some well deserved CBC beer.

The only thing I can say is WOW, what an event!!!!

To the race organisers, sponsors & race venue I can only give a big  :clap:  :thumbup: !!!! What an event!!! A true gem & one to mark in the calendar in 2017!!!!!

Look586

Nov 22, 2016, 5:00 PM

Hi Kingalton, interested to get your feedback on the event?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment