Events

Roberts continues good run of form with Howick MTB Classic win

· By Matt · 0 comments

The hugely talented Luke Roberts continued his incredible run of form when he narrowly edged out top ultra-marathon rider Andrew Hill to claim a deserved victory in Sunday’s Lizzard Howick MTB Classic, presented by Sappi.

2012Roberts.jpg

Despite a promising start from Patrick Belton, he and Mark Malherbe took the scenic route in the latter stages of the race which opened the door for Carl Calverley to storm home and claim the final step on the podium. Calverley placing third ensured his status as overall men’s winner in the ROAG Series ahead of Klaas Meintjes.

The ladies race saw Natalie Bergstrom extend her lead at the top of the women’s ROAG Series standings when she raced to victory ahead of Julia Colvin and Nedene Cahill.

2012Bergstrom.jpg

“I had a really good ride. I had just the one wipe out where I hit a rock and went right over the top of the bars with the bike crashing down on top of me but fortunately I was able to get back up straight away and get going again.”

“I’m really chuffed to still be leading the ROAG Series. The cash incentive is really awesome and it’s given me the opportunity to take part in a couple of different types of races that I possibly wouldn’t have done otherwise which has been great.”

The next race in the ROAG Series is the Safire Baynesfield MTB Classic taking place at the Baynesfield Estate on June 17.

The ROAG Series in KZN consists of ten of the largest MTB ROAG administered events that take place throughout 2012. The R20 000 prize money (for both men and women) will be awarded to the winners at the end of the year, along with smaller prizes being awarded to the winners of each category. Dedicated series riders who participate in all 10 events will receive a ROAG Series memento. For more info on the series visit www.roag.co.za

The South Coast is gearing up for what promises to be a mountain biking and trail run favourite – The Sardine MTB Classic.

This year hosted at an entirely new venue, the race kicks off on the beach at the Port Edward Holiday Resort on June, 10 (this Sunday).

Cyclists, who can participate in the 45km Classic; 25km Intermediate; 10km Fun or the Night Ride (June, 9) should expect an exciting new track through windbreaks, over dam walls and between macadamia nut, banana and coffee plantations – including breathtaking views of the Umtamvuna River Gorge.

Trail runners will not be forgotten about with a 10km riverside trail run on the cards.

Entertainment has also stepped up a notch with a pre-party on Saturday (June, 9). Big sound, lights and lasers will keep adults entertained as well as an extensive kids programme, including a jumping castle and games, will keep the little ones occupied.

Prizes to the value of R10 000 will be up for grabs for the riders with many give-aways and vouchers available for lucky supporters on the day.

The race is a fully administrated ROAG (Race Organisers Admin Group) event so pre-entries (both online and manual) can be made at www.roag.co.za or on the day.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment