Events

SA Madison Champs set to thrill with Interprov and GP Round No.3

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 4 comments

Cycling South Africa’s Track Cycling Commission will be hosting the SA Madison Championships in Bellville in the Western Cape over the same weekend that the third round of the Interprovincial Series, also known as the SA Cup series, and Grand Prix (GP) will be held, on Friday 18 and Saturday 19 October 2013

ccs-41808-0-51253100-1381134859.jpgImage credit: Owen Lloyd

The National Madison Championship event, which was postponed earlier in the year, will be run as a points’ race over a distance of 50km, and it will be held at the Bellville Velodrome on Saturday 19 October. A Madison sees two riders participate in a relay race contested by means of intermediary sprints. While one team member races, the other slows down to take a rest. Points are earned in the sprints.

World Champion silver medallist and strong contender Nolan Hoffman (Team Abantu) will not be competing in the SA Madison Championships as he will be in Amsterdam for the 6-Day track event as final preparation for the start of his international racing campaign on 21 October.

“Unfortunately I won’t be attending round three as my international commitments overlap,” said Hoffman. “The SA Cup Series has been a success and I think that it is allowing more opportunities for SA based riders to race on the track. Hopefully it will grow in both profile and standard. I’m glad that I was part of the first two rounds as it gives the younger and inexperienced riders the chance to gauge themselves against me, who compete regularly on the international stage.”

As part of the Cycling SA Track Commission’s Talent Identification (TID) programme, a request has been made to Team Abantu team principal Dean Edwards, to engage young Paarl Rider Bronwin Adams as a partner for Kellan Gouveris in the Madison.

“We are excited about Bronwin’s progress under the guidance of his coach Elrick Kulsen during 2013,” said Cycling SA Track Commission Director Roger Bouton. “Furthermore, we have huge confidence in young squad riders like Bronwin, whom is in Matric at present and is focusing more on his books since returning from the Junior Worlds in August.

“Bronwin has been part of our TID programme for the past two years, whilst Kellan, whom departs the following day for the UK and his first World Cup appearance in Manchester, has been part of our programme since 2010,” advised Bouton.

Team Nuwater’s Evan Carstens and Theuns van der Bank will be looking forward to the challenge in the Madison.

The action gets underway on Friday evening with the third round of the Interprovincial Series (SA Cup). Men and women will be competing in the 1500, Devil, Scratch (8 laps), Keirin, Team Pursuit, Points (7.5km and 10km), Scratch (5km), team Sprint and Madison events.

On Saturday, the SA Madison Championships will kick off proceedings at 09:00 followed by the GP at 10:15, promising exciting racing throughout the day. The Elite, Juniors, under-16s, Vet Men, Women, under-14s and Para-cyclists will compete in the Sprint, 1500, 500m TT, 500m Scratch, Devil, Points, Pursuit, Keirin and 3km Scratch events.

Spectators are welcome to attend this third leg of track cycling’s SA Cup series at the Bellville Velodrome in Bellville, near Cape Town, and entrance is free. Come and show your support for South Africa’s track cyclists in this high speed cycling discipline.

Click here and scroll down to the download section for the entry forms and programmes for the third round of the SA Cup Series. For more information, call Johan Smith on 082 467 3673.

Comments

90 Inch

Oct 7, 2013, 8:58 AM

1267176_606209746096654_1855501763_o.jpg

1264805_606208946096734_551736232_o.jpg

1268102_606210106096618_1971813694_o.jpg

HeartCoppi

Oct 18, 2013, 4:15 PM

Definitely there tomorrow.

So awesome!

udxcob

Oct 18, 2013, 4:59 PM

Cant make it tonight

What time tomorrow?

Thornman

Oct 22, 2013, 1:37 PM

Was some great racing. A pitty that there were so few teams racing the madi.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment