Events

Safety of cyclists in jeopardy in SA

· By Press Office · 15 comments

South African cycling heavyweights have come out in force against the state of cycling safety in South Africa. Cyclists across the spectrum are increasingly under attack from road users and criminals. From the well-publicised recent muggings and bike-jackings caught on a GoPro camera in the Cape, to the much-maligned 1.5m cyclist leeway battle with vehicles on SA’s infamous roads, something needs to be done.

ccs-62657-0-81773500-1408974444.jpgMalcolm Fox was bikejacked at gunpoint during a ride in Somerset West on Saturday, 31 May 2014. Unbeknownst to the thieves the events were all captured on his GoPro and the footage used as evidence against them.

According to Arrive Alive, the death list reads: Pedestrians, Passengers, Drivers, and Cyclists – in that order. Although cycling fatalities statistics lag by a long way, in a country with a shocking road safety record, the reference point is a dubious one.

Furthermore, according to the South African Insurance Crime Bureau, crime syndicates are targeting cyclists that operate with surprising sophistication. Stolen or hijacked bicycles are dismantled, packed into 44 gallon drums, and moved across the border into neighbouring countries.

Tracker’s Ride Free team spoke to cyclists from around the country to get a sense of how this community feels about the situation and the results were not surprising.

SA cycling legend and leading supplier to the industry, Chris Willemse, points out that, as the economic situation in SA worsens, crime increases and criminals see cyclists as ‘soft targets’. “It’s almost impossible for a cyclist to defend himself against a criminal or a group of them,” he says.

As Morne Myburgh, an amateur enthusiast from Gauteng puts it, “We are simply not safe anymore.”

Stephen Saunders, an ex-pro road cyclist and experienced mountain biker with a couple of Cape Epic’s under his belt, echoes the sentiment, calling road cyclists “sitting ducks”. “I try to never ride the same route twice,” he says. Surely, when cyclists have to start thinking like military personnel, there is something very wrong?

One solution is to create safe cycling spaces, an area with kilometres of natural terrain, a choice of trails and which has 24-hour security with medics on standby. While this is difficult to set up for the road user, off-road environments can be earmarked and converted into safe zones. Two Gauteng parks, the Modderfontein and Avianto Ride Free Bike Parks, currently operate in this way and are completely safe and accessible for all levels of cycling enthusiasts.

The company behind the safe cycling parks is Tracker. Chief Marketing Officer, Bronwynn Tippett, explains that the company is committed to enabling driving and cycling freedom. “The very essence of cycling is to embrace freedom of movement, but when movement is limited because it’s unsafe, that right soon erodes. Whether it’s cyclists or drivers, Tracker firmly believes in those freedoms and is committed to initiatives which embody those values.”

Willemse backs the call for the creation of safe cycling zones and Tracker’s role in the process. “A bike park allows cyclists to actually be safe rather than to just feel safe. That’s an important distinction as perceptions are not necessarily reality. I know of riders who thought they were safe on the road only to return one day without their mobile phone and bruised-up after being mugged on their bike.”

In a society that is as passionate about the outdoors as South Africans are, initiatives that protect our right to freedom of movement are critical. Similarly, nobody should be deprived of the right to cycle due to rampant crime or security concerns. Young cyclists need to be able to learn about the sport in a safe environment – and what better environment than a secure bike park with various levels of trails, bike safety clinics and even a bike wash facility?

“We view safe cycling zones, through the creation of world-class, safe and fun Ride Free bike parks as a sustainable solution to the challenges all cyclists face on SA’s roads,” says Tippett. “As Tracker mobilises to expand these facilities across the country we hope, too, that we can bring back the freedom to ride in safety.”

Comments

jpsteyn

Aug 25, 2014, 6:34 PM

I agree 100%. its not fun to feel the need to be armed with pepper spray and tazers just to gou out for a ride.

bike parks is an awesome idea and I support it. but we as cyclists also need to adapt to the changes in our community. Rather gou out as a group and always keep your eyes open for possible ambush locations. and if you see someone that looks a bit suspect go far around that person/s.

With that being said, I hope bike parks becomes a reality bit until then our safety is our own responsibility. So we all must be extra careful.

Lord Catapult

Aug 25, 2014, 7:52 PM

Two safe parks really. So Rietvlei Farms and Thaba Trails just don't exist or aren't they safe because they have signed on with tracker.

I ride there and I feel just as safe as I feel at Modderfontein and Avianto.

Disher

Aug 25, 2014, 8:13 PM

be vigilant folk....

ryanbritchford

Aug 25, 2014, 8:30 PM

I smell advertising:$

Pieterg

Aug 26, 2014, 4:06 AM

Tracker maybe

RocknRolla

Aug 26, 2014, 4:14 AM

I thought this article is going to inform us on how cycling heavyweights are engaging parlaiment to do something about the rampant crime is this ineptocracy...

Uni

Aug 26, 2014, 4:21 AM

engaging parlaiment to do something about the rampant crime is this ineptocracy...

Parliament - ??? It's not gonna happen, it will require private companies like tracker to step up and do it - much like outsurance and their pointsmen.

For joburg roadies, there's a glimmer of hope with Parks Tau, but until then I think it needs to be a case of watch your back and watch out for your fellow cyclist.

Seeker911

Aug 26, 2014, 5:21 AM

Whether it goes to parliament or not it will never happen. The cANCer created an environment of chaos and lawlessness in the build up to to 1994 in order to achieve its goals. It will take another 200 years to reverse the thinking of the people. In the meantime many cyclists, runners and pedestrians are going to die tragic deaths and you and I may very well be amongst them.

The only way to turn this around quickly will be to have be some serious law ENFORCEMENT and I mean radical law enforcement. What we need is a police state much akin to what happens in many US states. Dont F__K with the law or you will end up in jail. The problem with this is this will also not happen because the biggest perpetrators and law breakers are the cANCer MP's, the blue brigade inter alia and they dont wont radical law enforcement because this will halt the current state of affairs where self enrichment, thievery etc etc are at the top of the agenda.

Sorry to sound so morbid so early in the morning but I very much believe the above the be correct.

Groadie

Aug 26, 2014, 6:31 AM

A tongue in cheek look at the future of safe cycling rides: http://smoothknobblies.blogspot.com/2014/07/not-too-far-away.html

Fabian46

Aug 26, 2014, 6:53 AM

Whether it goes to parliament or not it will never happen. The cANCer created an environment of chaos and lawlessness in the build up to to 1994 in order to achieve its goals. It will take another 200 years to reverse the thinking of the people. In the meantime many cyclists, runners and pedestrians are going to die tragic deaths and you and I may very well be amongst them.

The only way to turn this around quickly will be to have be some serious law ENFORCEMENT and I mean radical law enforcement. What we need is a police state much akin to what happens in many US states. Dont F__K with the law or you will end up in jail. The problem with this is this will also not happen because the biggest perpetrators and law breakers are the cANCer MP's, the blue brigade inter alia and they dont wont radical law enforcement because this will halt the current state of affairs where self enrichment, thievery etc etc are at the top of the agenda.

Sorry to sound so morbid so early in the morning but I very much believe the above the be correct.

Not morbid....just bitter.

Put a smile on your dial sunshine...

kosmonooit

Aug 26, 2014, 6:57 AM

Police State? No thanks, been there, done that. It sucks.

And sometimes the law(s) suck as well. Like not being able to ride a bike on the pavement.

Bateleur1

Aug 26, 2014, 7:15 AM

I thought this article is going to inform us on how cycling heavyweights are engaging parlaiment to do something about the rampant crime is this ineptocracy...

They are too busy dealing with the JuJu Circus. Addressing real issues in SA is not their primary concern :ph34r:

ROSSSWI

Aug 26, 2014, 5:29 PM

I often fantasize about stealing certain peoples bikes, but only because I want to ride them:) not because I need the money to get drunk and/or high.

I'm afraid its heading the same way as many other aspects of our lives in SA... private healthcare, private estates,private schools etc....(not saying these don't exist in other countries, but they're not virtually necessities) we won't be able to leave our homes with out being under the safety net of private entities. There's lots of money to be made off us. Why doesn't a big business buy a massive piece of land and create a private state, they can call it Lesotho-tho.

Ok I'm just ranting, its a good idea this bike park thing, I'm lucky enough to live next to a really great one. It also protects the natural environment as well i.e. prevents local government from selling(out) green field sites to industry.

Here's the alternative solution.

http://www.twistedsun.net/files/page3_blog_entry256_2.jpg

Dirkitech

Sep 5, 2014, 9:51 AM

Two safe parks really. So Rietvlei Farms and Thaba Trails just don't exist or aren't they safe because they have signed on with tracker.

I ride there and I feel just as safe as I feel at Modderfontein and Avianto.

Rietvlei and Thaba TRY to be safe. I'd say they are roughly 90% reliable, because it has occured before when I cycled at Rietvlei relatively late (sun was near setting time) and I encountered 2 squatters walking ON the single track, a few hundred meters before the first bridge. I've also noticed broken palisades on the section shortly after the first bridge where you go out of the bush and climb diagonally towards the houses on the fence perimeter.

Otherwise, lovely place Rietvlei and Thaba. unfortunately, modderfontein and pwc are simply too far to afford the drive and entry on a student budget, so more parks would definitely be a great addition!

DieVlieg

Sep 5, 2014, 10:13 AM

I moved from Cape Town before the new cycle route they said they built. Has anyone made use of the route and how safe is it. Is it something widely used? If government makes small advances to provide services like this I hope the appreciation is being showed by people using it. If it is a none existing route or very badly managed route we must complain. Anyone who can give feedback on this cycle route.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment