Events

Safety top priority in Cradle Gateway-2-Gateway trail extension

· By Press Office · 5 comments

In late 2017, the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site Management Authority awarded a contract to build a 14km mountain bike trail within the road reserve of the D374 and D101 to the N3 Gateway Tourism Association, in partnership with Terra Firma Trail Solutions and CESBE (Pty) Ltd.

The trail build is well under-way, with the majority of the mini-excavator machine work complete. However, large portions of the trail will be hand-crafted during January and February. “We’re pleased with how the trail build is progressing, and it has been encouraging to receive support from the public through emails. However, the trail is not officially open and we are experiencing incidences of keen people riding on sections of incomplete trail” said Matthew Drew of the N3 Gateway Tourism Association.

ccs-62657-0-55963400-1515875064.jpg

“Understandably, enthusiasm levels are high, but we would like to take this opportunity to ask all mountain bikers to please remain off the new sections of trail until the full 14km build is complete and the trail has been opened. This request is for health and safety reasons, not only for the safety of riders but also for the safety of the trail building team. This trail runs through a road reserve, and as such the building activity is compliant with relevant laws and health and safety regulations” added Drew.

Safety precautions include bright yellow trail closure signs, barricades and barrier tape. If riders come across any of these measures, they are requested to please adhere to rules and regulations, and to share the safety information with their friends and others in the riding community. “We’ve tried to make it as easy as possible for riders to know where the trail is closed, as any accident or incident could cause delays to the project, which is something we’re actively trying to avoid” said Glenn Harrison, senior trail builder on the project.

If the public have any queries regarding the trail or the build project, please feel free to contact Matthew Drew of the N3 Gateway Tourism Association using the below details:

matthewd@n3gateway.com / +27 (0)82 325 3514

Comments

Chris NewbyFraser

Jan 14, 2018, 4:09 PM

Oops! Sorry. I used some sections on this past weekend on a G-bike. My apologies.

It does look like it is going to be lekker. Thanks to the council for this generous gift to cyclists

coppi

Jan 15, 2018, 9:40 AM

Great stuff cannot wait..............

DieSwartGevaar

Jan 15, 2018, 10:03 AM

What section will this be? I believe the trail currently starts from Kloofzicht and goes clockwise to the Circle just above Valverde (Intersection of Beyers Nayde and the R540)?

agilwolf

Jan 15, 2018, 11:30 AM

What section will this be? I believe the trail currently starts from Kloofzicht and goes clockwise to the Circle just above Valverde (Intersection of Beyers Nayde and the R540)?

If I understand correctly, and from what I have seen riding there a week or so ago, the route will now be extended from the top circle above Toadbury all the way around back to Kloofzicht

Chris NewbyFraser

Jan 15, 2018, 3:05 PM

Correct

Add a comment

You must log in to comment