Events

Sarah Scrimgeour Chats About Being New to Cycling and Riding Eroica South Africa

· By Bike Hub Features · 0 comments

Eroica South Africa has become a firm fixture on the cycling calendar for some. For 2022 we have moved the event to slightly later in the year, now hosting it over an entire weekend in May, so our die-hard collectors are able to dust off their prized rides once again. But every year there are a host of new riders – a few inherit their vintage steeds, while others stumble onto a vintage frame while browsing around Woodstock Cycleworks. Our local event started off in 2015 with only 90 riders, but the Italian import has grown comfortably into its own skin here. Having visited the flagship event in Italy in October 2018, and seeing the thousands of bicycle enthusiasts swarm the tiny town of Gaiole really inspired us to dream big with Eroica South Africa. And we know that the quaint little karoo town of Montagu is ready to host thousands too. For 2022 Eroica is growing, and we have an absolute blast planned for all of you … a new venue, a food market, new routes, and even a film screening! And of course, all the good stuff from previous years. 

But don’t take it from us. Leading up to our event we check in with some Eroica family. From our regular riders; to bike collectors and builders; as well as our newest family members, the flock of NOVA gravel racers; we wanted to know: What makes Eroica South Africa different and, well… what makes it worth the ride!

STAN3605.jpg

Donnet Dumas from Eroica South Africa had lunch with Sarah Scrimgeour who rode her first Eroica back in 2018 as a new cyclist. They talk about how Sarah’s experience of the event has evolved.  

DONNET: Hi Scrim! OK, let’s get to it. Why did you enter your first Eroica? 

SARAH: Actually, I didn’t mean to. I just happened to bring my bike along for a weekend away with my partner Craig and his friend Clayton. They had ridden Eroica the year before. But then on the day, I asked to enter at the last minute, to the horror of Stan, and ended up riding the 45km route. It was a completely spontaneous decision. 

DONNET: Oh, so what was your riding experience before that?

SARAH: I had just started riding really. I had no experience riding on gravel. It was pretty nerve-racking. So Eroica was a challenge as a new cyclist. But what made it easier was the social aspect of it. It doesn’t feel like a competitive race. You don’t feel like you’re falling behind. You’re not being looked at strangely if you can’t ride well. There’s something about riding at an organised event that gets your adrenaline up, and that coupled with the friendly atmosphere and good vibe really helps you conquer that new challenge. Well… it’s either that or the brandy shot and egg roll I had for breakfast!   

DONNET: Brandy for breakfast sounds wild. 

SARAH: It’s just your typical karoo start to the day.

STAN2955.jpg

STAN3014.jpg

STAN3117.jpg

DONNET: So the breakfast got you hooked! You came back to ride the following year, right? Did you ride the same bike?

SARAH: Yes, the first two years I rode my vintage Hansom bike. You know, steel frame, skinny road tyres, drop handlebars. I got mine from Nils, at Woodstock Cycleworks. The second year I felt a lot more confident. I also swapped out the cassette for a few more lighter gears. Just to help me up some of the hills. That second year was SO hot! I think it reached over 40 degrees. The rest stop at the dam was such a relief.

DONNET: That was part of the reason why we moved the event to later in the year for 2022. March is just too hot in the karoo. But you came back anyway? 

SARAH: In 2021 I was keen to try out my new gravel bike, so I entered the NOVA. The feeling on the fatter tyres was so different. Not better or worse, it’s just a completely different challenge. I also wanted to push myself a little more on distance and speed and thought that I would best be able to do that on my gravel bike. Last year the NOVA format was also a little different because of Covid. The gravel bikes were riding the same routes as the vintage bikes, and the informal start in the morning meant you could set off whenever you wanted to.

DONNET: And how do you think that worked? 

SARAH: Of course there’s the hype and excitement that can build up around everyone setting off on a mass start in the morning. But I actually liked the freedom of being able to start when we wanted to last year. And it’s not like we missed out on anything at the rest stops. We started late, but still caught up with everyone at the main stop, the one that serves those amazing pomegranate and gin coolers. 

DONNET: Yes, the Groenland stop is incredible. John and Salma have made Eroica and all the riders always feel so welcomed on their farm. It’s the main hub for the Classic route. Everyone passes by there and has a good hangout. 

SARAH: Those gins, the trout sandwiches at TwoDam and the secret swim spot were the highlights for me last year. And considering all the challenges of Covid and putting on an event, I definitely think it was my favourite one so far.  

DONNET: So it’s pretty clear that the social aspect of the event is a big draw for you. 

SARAH: Well, yes. I get to be out on my bike all day in a beautiful area, riding incredible and sometimes difficult roads. But we’re eating amazing food and I’m in the company of my friends. It’s definitely some of the most fun I’ve had on my bike. Each year I do try to push for more of a challenging ride though. The first two years I rode 45km on different routes, and then last year I rode 65km. So, considering I’m now a seasoned professional I think I could go even further and faster!

STAN3145.jpg

STAN3354.jpg

STAN3583.jpg

DONNET: What would you say is missing from the event? 

SARAH: Things have changed each year I’ve ridden, and it’s nice to keep it fresh. We really enjoyed the sit-down dinners from the first years, but as the event grows I guess you guys have to make changes to fit that. I saw that you’re doing a food festival this year, and I think that’s a great alternative to a formal dinner. I think it’s important to have at least one official group thing happening where people can get together, off their bikes, and celebrate the Eroica spirit. You know, the charm that comes with everyone dressing up in old kit and moving around on their vintage bikes. It’s what makes Eroica stand out from other events.  

DONNET: So do you make the effort to dress the part? 

SARAH: Yes! But it’s a little bit difficult to source the era specific kit. I’ve mostly had to borrow jerseys from someone. I know that at some of the first events there were Eroica branded wool jerseys available, and I would love to get one of those. I think people would make more of an effort if the availability was there. 

DONNET: Thanks for the lunch. Have you got anything else you want to add? 

SARAH: Nope. Just that I’m looking forward to riding with you again, friend! 

DONNET: Me too.

STAN3400.jpg

STAN3408.jpg

STAN3322.jpg
STAN3660.jpg

STAN3631.jpg

STAN3632.jpg

Entries for Eroica South Africa are open until 8 April 2022. Visit our website eroica.cc for more information and to enter. 

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment