Events

Sauser & Looser claim second stage victory at FNB W2W MTB Race

· By Press Office · 4 comments

Christoph Sauser and Konny Looser of Team Meerendal-SONGO-Specialized/Wheeler set the course on fire completing Stage Two of the FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Race that started and finished at Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw) on Saturday, 09 November 2014 in a lightning fast time of 02 hours 35 minutes 18 seconds.

ccs-62657-0-56682300-1415454669.jpg

Christoph Sauser in action on the day. // Credit: Volume Photography.

Fondly referred to as the ‘Play Day’, Stage Two consisted of a 67km route that featured the best bridges and structures built for the sport of mountain biking including the much loved Paul Cluver Amphi Bike Park and the madly creative Peri-Kromco Play Park.

“The first part of the race was open gravel. No one seemed to want to create speed, so Rourke Croeser and I took control,” said Looser. “Having a good Stage One lead, the other team had to make up speed. I could see Travis was struggling, but Rourke was pushing hard. It was at King Of The Mountain that Sauser started to sprint, so I just followed. The stage was super fun with nice single trails. The nice thing about the stage not being so long is that you can go harder and try everything. Sauser has been my idol since I started riding at the age of ten. It’s a real honor for me to be riding Wines2Whales with him”. Rourke Croeser and Travis Walker of Team Kargo Pro Team came in second, while Hanco-Kachelhoffer and Chris Wolhunter of Team Altech Autopage Pro Cycling finished third.

ccs-62657-0-20903100-1415454664.jpg

Seen here (left to right): Catherine Williamson and Robyn De Groot in action on the day. // Credit: Cherie Vale / Newsport Media.

In the women’ field Robyn De Groot and Catherine Williamson of Team Biogen Toyota / Asrin Cycling were the team to beat crossing the finish line in an impressive time of 03 hours 42 seconds. “I’ve never ridden anything like this before,” said De Groot. “Stage Two featured the most amazing trails from start to finish. It was fast and smooth, absolute bliss for any mountain biker. I’ve only heard good things about the Wines2Whales. After two days of riding, the event is definitely living up to its reputation”. Jennie Stenerhag and Candice Neethling of Team Cape Brewing Company / Time freight Velolife came in second, while Theresa Ralph and Jeannie Dreyer of Team Tribe Suunto USN finished third.

ccs-62657-0-74334400-1415454674.jpg

Seen here (from left to right): Darren Lill and Ashleigh Moolman in action on the day. // Credit: Cherie Vale / Newsport Media.

Ashleigh Moolman and Darren Lill of Team Cannondale Blend powered by RED-E claimed their second victory in the mixed team category completing the stage in a well-deserved time of 03 hours 04 minutes 46 seconds. According to Moolman, her lack of experience showed on the single track. “I am just happy to have stayed up right. The stage is beautiful with flowing single track. It was a nice day and I managed to stay within myself. Wines2Whales is a wonderful event and I’d love to experience more”. Fienie and Kobus Barnard of Team Kromco1 came in second, while Mariske Strauss and Hannes Hanekom of Team Giant/Orange Monkey finished third.

Full results from Stage Two available here.

STAGE THREE: Sunday, 09 November 2014

According to Johan Kriegler, FNB W2W MTB Director, the two most challenging sections on the Stage Three route are the Houwhoek Switchback Single Tracks and the infamous Hamilton Russel climb, which is the last major climb of the FNB W2W MTB Events, just after the third water-point.

Start: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)

Finish: Onrus Caravan Park (just outside Hermanus)

Start Time: 07:00

Distance: 73km

Like our Facebook page: Wines2Whales

Follow us on Twitter: @w2wmtb

Related posts

Comments

SiriS

Nov 8, 2014, 4:19 PM

Crazy time! **** !

Shebeen

Nov 9, 2014, 1:11 PM

The guys who don't know the spelling of Loose/lose must really battle with his surname

DJR

Nov 9, 2014, 1:55 PM

The guys who don't know the spelling of Loose/lose must really battle with his surname

The'll sommer call him winner. ;)

lesego.2

Nov 9, 2014, 6:14 PM

Blistering time

Add a comment

You must log in to comment