Events

Sauser & Looser crowned FNB W2W MTB Race champions

· By Press Office · 5 comments

The third and final stage of the 2014 FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Race got underway at Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw) on Sunday, 09 November 2014. Setting a blistering pace, riders needed to complete a 74km route that included tricky Houwhoek Switchback Single Tracks and the infamous Hamilton Russel climb, before crossing the finish line at Onrus Caravan Park (just outside Hermanus) where eager family members and friends awaited.

ccs-62657-0-39232200-1415555975.jpg

Konny Looser and Christoph Sauser in action on the day. // Credit: Cherie Vale / Newsport Media.

Christoph Sauser and Konny Looser of Team Meerendal-SONGO-Specialized/Wheeler claimed two stage victories and the overall men’s champions’ title at the 2014 FNB W2W MTB Race completing the three day MTB stage race in a lightning fast time of 08 hours 36 minutes 29 seconds. “It’s great to win my first Wines2Whales Race,” said Sauser. “In the past I’ve entered as part of a corporate team, while last year I rode with Sipho Madolo. We managed a 5th place overall. Everything came together for Konny and me this year. Every race is different. I like the character of Wines2Whales. Three days of real trail riding, not to mention starting in the Winelands and ending by the sea. It’s very cool”. Rourke Croeser and Travis Walker of Kargo Pro Team came in second, while Johann Rabie and Gawie Combrinck of Team EAI Cycling finished third.

ccs-62657-0-55041900-1415555980.jpg

Robyn De Groot and Catherine Williamson in action during Stage Three. // Credit: Cherie Vale / Newsport Media.

Robyn De Groot and Catherine Williamson of Team Biogen Toyota / Asrin Cycling claimed the women’s team title completing the three days of racing in a combined time of 10 hours 08 minutes 03 seconds. “I suffered today,” said De Groot. “I literally just saw Catherine’s back. She was a great partner. I particularly enjoyed this race. It’s the finishing touches that make it stand out, like having wet towels on the finish line. Being the last race of the year, it’s really good to finish on a high”. Jennie Stenerhag and Candice Neethling of Team Cape Brewing Company / Time freight Velolife claimed the second spot on the podium, while Anriette Schoeman and Yolandi Du Toit of Team Africa Silks Garmin finished third.

ccs-62657-0-65388200-1415555968.jpg

Ashleigh Moolman and Darren Lill in action on the day. // Credit: Cherie Vale / Newsport Media.

Ashleigh Moolman and Darren Lill of Team Cannondale Blend powered by RED-E secured the overall mixed team champions’ title completing the three MTB stages in a combined time of 10 hours 13 minutes 44 seconds. According to Moolman, the stage was tough. “I was feeling my stage one crash today. Stage three’s route was nice, undulating with beautiful scenery. We are happy to maintain our lead. The Wines2Whales is an amazing event, from the organization to the food and the scenery. I really enjoyed my first stage race”. Mariske Strauss and Hannes Hanekom of Team Giant/Orange Monkey came in second, while Fienie and Kobus Barnard of Team Kromco1 finished third.

“The 2014 FNB Wines2Whales has been everything we hoped for. The overwhelming interest from cyclists around the country proves that this competition is becoming one of the most anticipated events on the cycling calendar. Among its many attributes, we believe that the routes and the camaraderie are some of the unique features which set the FNB Wines2Whales apart. We would like to congratulate all the participants and more importantly, the winners of the three stages,” Michael Vacy-Lyle, CEO FNB Business.

2014 FNB Wines2Whales Race final results available here.

Entries for the 2015 event will open on Saturday, 14 February 2015.

Related posts

Comments

B20

Nov 9, 2014, 6:22 PM

Seemed like the everyone enjoys themselves and its a race for the bucket list.

From what I saw the organisation was superb.

The celebs were friendly.

However, the SPUR burgers were tasteless and unappetising.

Ask Food Lovers to cater at the Finish rather.

lesego.2

Nov 10, 2014, 1:23 AM

Well done to sauser and looser

DCSA247

Nov 10, 2014, 5:22 AM

Great event and well worth the trip to Cape Town. You guys in CT are really spoiled with the views and trails. Yip, loose the Spur Burgers...serve a proper lunch like Berg & Bush.

Muscles

Nov 10, 2014, 6:02 AM

Yeah I agree..The Event was awesome and food was Great!!Excluding the Bike Wash.They do not use any Bike wash and Bikes are dirty the Next day.The organisers for this are Rude as well..Rather use Clint at Powersol!!They take pride in their Job

JFD

Nov 11, 2014, 7:55 AM

Jip, I have to agree, the Spur Burgers were terrible!  Only recommendation for the W2W organisers - We need a decent lunch :-)

I also found the organisers of the Bike Wash very rude

Add a comment

You must log in to comment