Events

SCOTT Sports Africa bids farewell to African MTB Team

· By Press Office · 21 comments

SCOTT Sports Africa announced on Thursday that it would not be extending its title sponsorship of the African MTB Team, officially known as SCOTT LCB Factory Racing, beyond 2016.

What started as a support structure by SCOTT back in 2012 for Philip Buys, who got a late call up to compete at the 2012 Olympics in London, grew into one of South Africa’s most successful mountain bike racing teams during the four-year partnership.

ccs-62657-0-73717500-1476362614.jpgAfter four years, SCOTT Sports Africa will bid farewell to the African MTB Team, which has become one of the most successful mountain bike racing teams in South Africa. Photo credit: Nick Muzik

In 2013 SCOTT added the ABSA Cape Epic to its key-event list and brought in Matthys Beukes to partner with Buys. The team performed above expectations and won the African Team title.

From then on the SCOTT team added more riders – Gert Heyns in 2014 and Arno du Toit in 2015 – and went on a mission to succeed in cross-country racing, marathon racing and stage racing.

Another two Cape Epic African team titles – and overall stage wins – followed, as did numerous cross-country, marathon and stage race podium finishes. In 2015, LCB (Lead Crystal Batteries) invested in the team as a co-sponsor, offering increased budget and infrastructure and making it possible to employ Ruan Lochner as the full-time team manager/technical support.

“It’s been a very exciting four years. Having been involved with this team from the very beginning and helping it grow into one of the most organised, marketable teams in South Africa is one thing, but offering support to help nurture talented South African racers has been hugely rewarding,” said Phillip Erasmus, marketing manager at SCOTT Sports Africa.

“We feel that after four years we have achieved what we set out to as the title sponsor of African MTB Team. As with any business, we need to look for new areas of potential growth and will still be heavily committed to South African mountain biking going forward.

“I am confident that which ever company takes over as title sponsor of African MTB Team will get significant value from a team of talented young men that have high morals and much potential. I wish the team everything of the best for the future and look forward to their last couple of months with SCOTT,” added Erasmus.

To contact the African MTB Team, email Ruan Lochner on ruan@africanmtbteam.com

Related posts

Comments

Meezo

Oct 13, 2016, 12:55 PM

:wacko: :mellow:

Sitting slip

Oct 13, 2016, 3:55 PM

insert momsen here....

Patchelicious

Oct 13, 2016, 3:58 PM

insert momsen here....

What bike would they race?
'Dale

Oct 13, 2016, 4:04 PM

Must have something to do with that vertical shock..... somehow

Patchelicious

Oct 13, 2016, 4:28 PM

Must have something to do with that vertical shock..... somehow

Agreed, they know that results will decline now that Scott has adopted that old tech!

428 others

Oct 13, 2016, 5:46 PM

I was wondering when they'll be on the new bike...

Suidwes Boytjie

Oct 13, 2016, 6:00 PM

These are top class riders and it will be sad to see them without a bike sponsor... 

Sitting slip

Oct 13, 2016, 7:50 PM

What bike would they race?
the true African mtb the vipa...
Buell

Oct 14, 2016, 5:12 AM

Not a good one. In my opinion it's coming down to pressure that the bike companies/wholesalers in South Africa are starting to feel on bike sales, and they are having to start cutting costs. The sport is really becoming expensive and is currently going in the direction of the "Elite Few" that can afford the prices and this is causing new bike sales to slow down, so companies have to cut back on the spending at the moment till the wheels starting turning again.

That's just my opinion

Skinnyone

Oct 14, 2016, 8:30 AM

I agree with Buell, times are tough for every one - here is an opportunity for the pro's to ride a mid-top end bike instead of always wanting to ride the very top end high priced model - that the stores are battling to sell...

IMHO the guys could do just as well on an XT/XO spec bike as a full on XTR/XX1 Eagle group...its a mindset thing more than anything...

The bike sponsors could benefit in that they are not making a R150k + (at their cost) bike a used "ex-demo" bike that if they get R50k for they are lucky...one way to cut down the costs?

Oh wait - the pro's couldn't possibly be seen dead on a lower spec bike...

Odinson

Oct 14, 2016, 8:34 AM

insert momsen here....

Why kick them when they're down?

pellieg

Oct 14, 2016, 10:06 AM

Why kick them when they're down?

insert momsen here....

maybe pyga

Patchelicious

Oct 14, 2016, 10:18 AM

the true African mtb the vipa...

http://i.imgur.com/VCt4qvf.png

Vipa doesnt have a vertically mounted shock, which we all know is superior!

nonky

Oct 14, 2016, 10:19 AM

Not good news for pro-mtbiking in SA.

RECM gone and now Scott LCB too.

Suppose they'll all be "Spur people" soon.

NelAndre

Oct 14, 2016, 10:25 AM

<_< :o :wacko: :huh:

Oufy MTB (Roadie)

Oct 14, 2016, 10:32 AM

Or could it just be that SA MTB pros are not really taking glory at the Cape Epic, WC XCO events and other international stuff? I know our DH dude is right up there.

Patchelicious

Oct 14, 2016, 10:34 AM

Or could it just be that SA MTB pros are not really taking glory at the Cape Epic, WC XCO events and other international stuff? I know our DH dude is right up there.

Shhhhh, nobody wants to hear the truth when it hurst!

Gen

Oct 14, 2016, 10:41 AM

I was just about to say that Scott only need to have Nino Schurter as brand ambassador.
Patchelicious

Oct 14, 2016, 10:43 AM

I was just about to say that Scott only need to have Nino Schurter as brand ambassador.

The amount of golfers who buy bikes because of Nino and tatoo #scott2luvit on themselves is astounding.

Gen

Oct 14, 2016, 10:44 AM

The amount of golfers who buy bikes because of Nino and tatoo #scott2luvit on themselves is astounding.

Yip..sorry to say no one is buying a Scott because the local pros are riding them.

But maybe the Buys and co are getting some local fan support because they ride a Scott that they bought because Nino rides it.[emoji12]

Shebeen

Nov 10, 2016, 9:05 PM

Scott sa = probike? If that's the case then it's really the end of about a 12+ year sponsorship of the sport from the old Raleigh team till now

Add a comment

You must log in to comment