Events

Second success for Dalton at SA Road Champs

· By Press Office · 52 comments

Cooler, but still very warm Western Cape temperatures greeted the Elite, U23 and Junior Women at the start of their Road Races for the 2017 South African National Road Championships in Wellington on Saturday 11 February. Team Demacon’s Heidi Dalton rode away to take both the Elite as well as U23 Women’s titles after claiming the U23 Time Trial win on Thursday.

ccs-62657-0-32846200-1486908324.jpgHeidi Dalton raced across the finish line to take the Elite Women’s and U23 Road Race victory at the 2017 SA Road Championships in Wellington on Saturday 11 February. Photo: Stuart Pickering/Cycling Direct.

The 127,8km course, which consisted of ten laps around the Lady Loch circuit through farmlands and vineyards, offered something new on each lap.

The first break attempt came from Sanet Coetsee, 19km into the race, but was quickly swallowed by the bunch. Michelle Benson then made an attack at 28km, in but was soon also caught.

The real fighting began 49km into the race, where Demacon’s Elmarie de Wet kept her breakaway (often over two minutes ahead) for close to 40km.

The next 15km displayed aggressive riding and attacks from Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio and An-Li Kachelhoffer, and soon, there was a lead bunch of eight riders, which included Dalton, Yzette Oelofse, Juanita Venter, Chane Jonker and Samantha Sanders.

More attacks by Moolman-Pasio and Kachelhoffer were seen, but soon both riders were back in the bunch.

ccs-62657-0-88388000-1486908331.jpgThe Elite Women’s and U23 Road Race took place in the stunning setting of Wellington at the 2017 SA Road Championships on Saturday 11 February. Photo: Stuart Pickering/Cycling Direct

At the start of the last lap, Dalton broke off the leading group to ride solo and open up a gap. Her time gaps began to grow from 37 seconds, to 47 seconds, and before long, close to two minutes ahead, and rode to victory over the line in a time of three hours, 43 minutes and 37.572 seconds.

On her victory, Dalton said: “Today was absolutely awesome, I mean, I’m still under 23 so the main goal was to get the under 23 jersey, but to get both of them is just absolutely incredible. I’m really, really over the moon. I gave it everything I had and I’m really enjoying this moment.”

Dalton spoke of teammate Elmarie de Wet who worked hard for the team as well. “She went up the road for a couple of laps and we sat on and relaxed little bit while she gave it her all” said Dalton.

ccs-62657-0-91755000-1486908316.jpgElmari de Wet worked out in front for 40km in the Elite Women’s and U23 Road Race at the 2017 SA Road Championships in Wellington on Saturday 11 February. Photo: Stuart Pickering/Cycling Direct.

“My other teammate Carla (Oberholzer) covered a lot of moves out there as well. My team manager, Dave, has been absolutely incredible and been with me forever, so it was really just a team effort today and I’m super chuffed to be the SA Champ,” she added.

Second position in the Elite Women’s race went to An-Li Kachelhoffer (Bestmed ASG), with Time Trial Champion Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (Cervelo Bigla) crossing the line in third.

Michelle Benson won the silver medal in the U23 Women’s Road Race. “Today was hot, and very hard,” she said. Benson added that after she had seen Dalton had a chance of the win, she tried her best to stick as hard as could in order to get the second spot on the podium.

Video highlights:

In the U19 Women’s race, Ashley Parsons, who had arrived from Egypt just one day prior to her race, claimed the gold medal, with Tiffany Keep coming in behind in second place, and Elne Owen in third.

ccs-62657-0-11653400-1486908303.jpgAshleigh Parsons took the U19 Women’s win at the 2017 SA Road Championships in Wellington on Saturday 11 February. Photo: Stuart Pickering/Cycling DIrect.

When asked about how she pulled it all off, Parsons said: “I had yesterday afternoon to gather my things. I think for me it was important to keep myself together mentally – especially knowing that I had to fly for 12 hours and then race the next day.”

Parsons spoke about her recent participation in the World Cycling Centre training camp in Egypt and said: “Personally I think it was one of the best decisions that I’ve ever made. It was a big jump for me to miss school, but I gained a lot of experience and the training was very hard. It obviously helped a lot because, here we are today.”

Second placed Tiffany Keep, who grabbed the Time Trial gold said she was very nervous coming into the race. “Some of the girls in the race today didn’t race in the Time Trial so I didn’t know where they were in terms of form. It started off at a great pace and there were a few attempts at breakaways and attacks. Nobody managed to get away because of the headwind.

“I tried so hard to pull away when it came to two kilometres to go, but we all were in sprint mode by then. I ended up coming next to Ashley Parsons, and ended up finishing about a wheel length behind her. I’m happy for her, though – she raced so well in the end. All the other girls did really out there today.”

ccs-62657-0-66768600-1486908309.jpgThe Elite Women’s podium (from left to right) Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (third) Heidi Dalton (first) and An-Li Kachelhoffer (third) at the 2017 SA Road Championships in Wellington on Saturday 11 February. Photo: Stuart Pickering/Cycling Direct.

ccs-62657-0-63656400-1486908340.jpgThe U23 Women’s Road Race Podium (from left to right) Bianca Haw (third) Heidi Dalton (first) and Michelle Benson (third) at the 2017 SA Road Championships in Wellington on Saturday 11 February. Photo: Stuart Pickering/Cycling Direct.

Follow the racing action live by live timing on the Mobii APP (http://www.mobii.com/app) available on Android and iOS devices in the relevant APP stores. Search for “Mobii Race Results”.

Click here to view your finish line photo and results on Mobii: http://mobii.com/sarc2017/

For more information about the SA National Road Champs and full race results, click here: https://www.cyclingsa.com/2017-sa-road-champs/

SUMMARY OF RESULTS FROM SA NATIONAL ROAD CHAMPS – DAY 6 – 11 February 2017

ROAD RACE (Elite, U23, U19 Women)

Elite Women

Heidi Dalton 3:43:37.572
An-Li Kachelhoffer 3:57:15.726
Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio 3:57:16.419
Juanita Venter 3:57:22.826 5
Charlene Du Preez 3:57:23.222

U23 Women

Heidi Dalton 3:43:37.572
Michelle Benson 3:48:03.119
Bianca Haw 3:50:00.607
Chante Van Der Merwe 3:52:36.493
Hazel Magill 3:58:16.622

U19 Women

Ashley Parsons 2:34:17.985
Tiffany Keep 2:34:18.018
Elne Owen 2:34:18.150
Carla Steyn 2:34:18.249
Thana Groenewald 2:34:19.338

Comments

xcd

Feb 12, 2017, 2:15 PM

Great result for Heidi !

Beating 2 international riders

I see Reinardt won the men.

'Dale

Feb 12, 2017, 2:54 PM

That's a very special achievement

City Cycling Athletic Club

Feb 12, 2017, 3:25 PM

Great result for Heidi !

Beating 2 international riders

I see Reinardt won the men.

yes , de Bod the u23's and Oosthuizen the juniors

Jaco-fiets

Feb 12, 2017, 3:35 PM

I saw somewhere that Moolman mentioned something about great confusion on the day. Wonder what that was about

Patchelicious

Feb 12, 2017, 3:39 PM

I saw somewhere that Moolman mentioned something about great confusion on the day. Wonder what that was about

Just a moan.

Same thing that happened when Meintjies won 2 years ago. After which the rules were very clear.

Feb 12, 2017, 4:58 PM

elite and u23's - one race - if an u23 wins then they are elite and u23 champ. the issue was: they didn't know the rules - they thought Dalton would be crowned u23 champ only so they didnt chase thinking they still racing for elite gold.the rules are quiet clear they just need to read and understand them.

Frosty

Feb 12, 2017, 5:24 PM

This U23/Elite story is not unique to SA, it's happened (in 2014) at the Irish national champs, as well as the other "home" nations, and even Aus (first 3 were U23 and the 4th person an Elite).

The link to the Impey/Meintjes story on this forum ins 2014 explains it quite well... https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/road/sa-road-cycling/cycling-sa-clarifies-ruling-regarding-u23-and-elite-road-championship-jerseys-r1210

... but I prefer the Irish explanation: I know it is confusing but it is done that way to ensure that the first rider over the line is the Irish National Road Race Champion.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/confused-about-the-awarding-of-the-u23-and-elite-titles-at-the-champs-this-explains-it/

Sharkie 2

Feb 12, 2017, 5:35 PM

Just a moan.

Same thing that happened when Meintjies won 2 years ago. After which the rules were very clear.

The rules that were told to the riders and the team managers were not the same as what panned out. They were told that the U/23 and elites would be starting together but it would be two separate race results. So when Elmari who was an U/23 rider broke away the team managers confirmed with the comms that she would be classified as u/23 and the elite title is still open....and the comms apparently confirmed this. They were asked the same question when Heidi broke and confirmed that it is two separate results, but true to SA Cycling they did not take note of the UCI rule on this which overules the CSA rules

Heidi deserves the win she took it to them with one lap to go

Mudsimus

Feb 12, 2017, 6:09 PM

They are two seasoned pros, not knowing the rules is just a silly excuse. Heidi was by far the best rider on the day and deserves the jersey.

'Dale

Feb 12, 2017, 6:22 PM

CSA

So often in the middle of chaos

????

Patchelicious

Feb 12, 2017, 6:40 PM

Well take Heidi out of the equation, Ashley would still not have won, An-Li would have. Heidi being u23 had no bearing on Ashley not winning.....hence, a moan.

Feb 12, 2017, 7:55 PM

apparently the officials were still debating the issue after the race. typical. the issue should have been cleared up at the team manager's meeting before the race.

Sharkie 2

Feb 12, 2017, 8:12 PM

apparently the officials were still debating the issue after the race. typical. the issue should have been cleared up at the team manager's meeting before the race.

By all accounts it was...another good example...at track SA's last year CSA's rules stated no overshoes on the pursuit...UCI permits it...thus overruled.

Mistakes are being made far to often by comms and they have no consistency.

Riders tend not to make a fuss about things because they know it might just bite them in the long run...

andydude

Feb 12, 2017, 8:17 PM

So if 35+ wins the race he wins both 35+ and 30+?

Sorry, but I don't understand the rule and I don't understand why different cats race together?

HdB

Feb 12, 2017, 9:04 PM

Sorry, but I don't understand the rule and I don't understand why different cats race together?

Probably just a numbers thing - look at the size of the bunch in the pics of the article, and that is Elite AND U23 ladies. As far as I can see from the results, only sixteen Elite ladies started, and twelve U23 ladies.

'Dale

Feb 13, 2017, 4:13 AM

Wtf ????

EmptyB

Feb 13, 2017, 6:43 AM

This is just laughable!!

Congrats Heidi...

Patchelicious

Feb 13, 2017, 6:48 AM

No, yesterday the 35-39 dude, crossed the line first and the 30-34 dude second. Each won their own Category. Must say watching the guys come into the sprint there was more looking around trying to figure out which rider was were than concentrating on sprinting flat out. This mixing categories is a bit of a mess.

Two guys celebrating a win in the same picture:

https://instagram.com/p/BQaxdSglpQa/

Gen

Feb 13, 2017, 6:52 AM

No, yesterday the 35-39 dude, crossed the line first and the 30-34 dude second. Each won their own Category. Must say watching the guys come into the sprint there was more looking around trying to figure out which rider was were than concentrating on sprinting flat out. This mixing categories is a bit of a mess.

Aren't those 2 age groups are rather competitive with a lot of entries, wouldn't it be better to have 2 races for those categories?
Donovan Le Cok

Feb 13, 2017, 6:52 AM

Patch, the looking around was us trying to find space, I can promise you that.

I didn't even get to give a proper kick as the finish lane was so narrow with the barriers, it totally negated the sprint.

Frosty

Feb 13, 2017, 7:07 AM

Don't confuse Vets racing with Juniors, U23 and Elite - Vets don't qualify for UCI ranking points so it's treated slightly differently.

With it being a lap circuit (12Km), you can't have too many groups on the road at the same time, otherwise the comms will be working overtime to neutralise the bunch each time a fast group/break passes. It's not fair on the riders either.

With more groups, it means more start times - Vets 30-49 raced at 07:00 and 07:05 and finished before the Elite/U23 and Juniors took to the circuit at 11:00. Imagine they split these Vets into 5 year age groups, the Elites would be starting at 14:00 and finishing close to 18:00.

Probably just a numbers thing - look at the size of the bunch in the pics of the article, and that is Elite AND U23 ladies. As far as I can see from the results, only sixteen Elite ladies started, and twelve U23 ladies.

As HbB above below categories are joined together based on numbers. 

For the Elite/U23, if the categories are separated, South Africa won't get UCI points, which means less numbers at World Champs and also at the Olympics (currently not a qualifying year). 

Please note that I am not defending them in any way - I've had my fair share of run-ins with consistency.

Spinnekop

Feb 13, 2017, 7:16 AM

30 / 35 / 40 / 50 is not really a "thing".

It is only the NATIONAL title that counts.

That is why FIRST OVER THE LINE matters and not really your age.

So in the "cats" (age wise) it is not really a problem as it is just for "fun" and ego. 

You have to have ONE race where ONE winner emerge as the National Champ.

If you are at Elite level and part of a team, you have to know the rules unfortunately. 

Heidi did a gutsy ride. 

Frosty

Feb 13, 2017, 7:16 AM

I didn't even get to give a proper kick as the finish lane was so narrow with the barriers, it totally negated the sprint.

I'm trying to find the document, but IIRC the minimum width is 8m.

Will edit this once I find the document, if wrong.

Patchelicious

Feb 13, 2017, 8:05 AM

I was more referring to the guys in the podium positions.

Yes, agree the space thing was a issue a bit further back.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment