Events

Seyffert reveals new partnership at TransCape

· By Press Office · 15 comments

After a lengthy association with Hanco Kachelhoffer, mountain biking professional Pieter Seyffert will reveal a new partnership when he and Travis Walker tackle the seven-day TransCape mountain bike race from Sunday.

ccs-62657-0-87537400-1485956907.jpgMountain biking pro Pieter Seyffert (front) will team up with Travis Walker to ride for Ellsworth-ASG in the seven-day TransCape mountain bike race from Sunday. Photo: Warren Elsom

In his first appearance at the TransCape, the 30-year-old said he was looking forward to teaming up with Walker under the Ellsworth-ASG banner for the 690km journey between Knysna and Franschhoek in the Western Cape.

Seyffert said he and Walker – who recently returned to South Africa after racing in Italy – had both been looking for team-mates after his long-time partner Hanco Kachelhoffer retired following their victory in the Sanlam MTB Invitational in November last year.

“This is a new combination and we have never raced together,” said Seyffert, who hails from Helderkruin on the West Rand.

“In fact, I don’t think I have even raced against him.

“Travis is from a cross country background and I come from a road cycling background, so it will be interesting to see how we pair up. The TransCape will provide a good guideline for us.”

Seyffert said he had spent the last two years focusing on improving his technical skills and added he was confident he had made a successful transition to mountain biking.

Although he will be new to the TransCape, which is presented by ASG Events, Seyffert said he was familiar with the terrain, having ridden in most of the areas the route will cover.

“There is a real buzz and sense of expectancy in the mountain biking community around TransCape.

“Because of the exceptional organisation and the special trails many riders expect the event to surpass the current offerings on the mountain bike stage race scene in South Africa.

“So, of course, I can’t wait to experience it.”

He added that their goal was to “definitely go for the overall win”, but that they would take things one day at a time.

“As with any stage race your equipment has to be reliable and if you don’t get a puncture and don’t break anything, you have had a good tour,” he said.

“We will try to play it fairly safe early on and assess the opposition in the first couple of stages to see if we can find any weaknesses. Then you can try to put them under some sort of pressure, for example on climbs or descents.

“We will not look too far ahead. We will finish day one before we look at day two.”

Seyffert said he and Walker – a 25-year-old from Hilton in KwaZulu-Natal – had done a lot of base training and were in good condition.

“We have also done some intervals, although those sessions have not been too intense at this stage.”

Looking back on last year, Seyffert said one of the highlights was winning the Magalies Monster in Rustenburg in May.

He also fondly recalled his last few rides with Kachelhoffer.

“It was great to finish off in a few races with Hanco, who is a good friend of mine. Our very last race was the Sanlam MTB Invitational near Paarl, which we won, so that was very special.”

Visit www.transcapemtb.co.za for more information.

Stage by stage:

Stage 1 – Knysna to Wilderness (80km)
Stage 2 – George to Van Wyksdorp (135km)
Stage 3 – Van Wyksdorp to Riversdal (81km)
Stage 4 – Riversdal to Swellendam (103km)
Stage 5 – Swellendam to Greyton (112km)
Stage 6 – Greyton to Villiersdorp (68km)
Stage 7 – Villiersdorp to Franschhoek (78km)

Comments

andydude

Feb 1, 2017, 2:32 PM

Ooh

Meezo

Feb 1, 2017, 2:33 PM

Ohh ohh

TheJ

Feb 1, 2017, 4:23 PM

Ek bly maar stil.

tubed

Feb 2, 2017, 5:25 PM

Ok, I'll say it.

Ex doping offender gets profiled for this event, partners with a chap who is as yet innocent, but previously ridden with dubious partners.

At the same time last year's winner of this same event who is very very quick to call out other event organisers for allowing convicted dopers into events is suddenly silent, hopefully not because he is defending champ and a statement would put him at odds with the event organisers.

Its all very complicated.

I'm all for second chances myself, as far as being allowed to ride is concerned, but the profiling of ex dopers doesn't sit too well, as Epic found out.

Bloukrans

Feb 2, 2017, 6:03 PM

Who is the ex doper

Vetseun

Feb 2, 2017, 7:09 PM

Who is the ex doper

PS
intern

Feb 2, 2017, 7:20 PM

LOL everything that's wrong with cycling, right here. 'Ex' dopers still just as fast without the juice, welcomed back to the fold, and the hero for an event. LEKKER EKSE.

And on an international scale, Lance and George and those okes still pull the crowds and people wear Hincapie clothing and he sponsors a dev team. LOL LOL and more frikken LOL and we all wonder how come the doping merry go round never stops, just keeps on spinning round and round, and everyone turns a blind eye to the garish great big smorgasbord of prancing horses and glitzy glitter right there in front of us and pretends it doesn't exist.

'Man is infinite in his capacity for self-deception' ja kiff okes.

TheJ

Feb 2, 2017, 7:25 PM

Feeling for TW... I think. Now partnered with PS (caught for juice) and big mate of RC (If I'm correct?) who happened to travel to a world cup with syringes and is now sanctioned (?)

rock

Feb 3, 2017, 7:31 AM

Bikehub should email back the guy that sent the news story and just say, sorry we're not promoting this on our site.

Or  simply edit the article and insert "convicted doper" where necessary.

Patchelicious

Feb 3, 2017, 7:42 AM

You know what the BikeHub can also do? Is not only voice their opinions about this from behind their screens on the forum.

If you truly care about a clean sport you won't only make "clever" comments when a news story is written on the BikeHub. But rather do something in person, go make comments under your real name on Facebook or Twitter, or talk to the "dopers" in person. There is a difference between people who want to make a difference and people like SkankHunt.

As much as I dislike cheaters, cowards top the cake.

Pure Savage

Feb 3, 2017, 7:50 AM

You know what the BikeHub can also do? Is not only voice their opinions about this from behind their screens on the forum.

If you truly care about a clean sport you won't only make "clever" comments when a news story is written on the BikeHub. But rather do something in person, go make comments under your real name on Facebook or Twitter, or talk to the "dopers" in person. There is a difference between people who want to make a difference and people like SkankHunt.

Agreed. The reason sponsors still sponsors ex dopers and not young talent is because news sites and events feature ex dopers, not young guns. 

J Wakefield

Feb 3, 2017, 12:20 PM

Ok, I'll say it.

Ex doping offender gets profiled for this event, partners with a chap who is as yet innocent, but previously ridden with dubious partners.

At the same time last year's winner of this same event who is very very quick to call out other event organisers for allowing convicted dopers into events is suddenly silent, hopefully not because he is defending champ and a statement would put him at odds with the event organisers.

Its all very complicated.

I'm all for second chances myself, as far as being allowed to ride is concerned, but the profiling of ex dopers doesn't sit too well, as Epic found out.

The previous winner is only loud behind a keyboard it seems. He has had face to face confrontations with ex banned riders (for whatever reason) and said nothing, only to later say thanks for the great racing during the event they partook in together.

andydude

Feb 3, 2017, 12:31 PM

Sheesh patches.. it's friday [emoji1]

What I can do is try to make sure I am a ok human being and in terms of sport/cycling, try to ride clean.

But I kind of get your drift.

tubed

Feb 4, 2017, 4:07 PM

The previous winner is only loud behind a keyboard it seems. He has had face to face confrontations with ex banned riders (for whatever reason) and said nothing, only to later say thanks for the great racing during the event they partook in together.

Jip, just thought I'd point out the irony/ hypocrisy.

Its hard to be consistently principled when you rely on free entries and 'sponsorship'.

Like I say - I'm all for second chances to just be able to ride - after all that's what 99.9% of just want to do.

Patchelicious

Feb 4, 2017, 4:45 PM

Are you guys referring to the ex cricketer that transformed into a 50 year old race winning MTB machine who beats Pros half his age?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment