Events

Sharks flyer to satisfy Sappi Howick trail hunger

· By Press Office · 0 comments

A third appearance in four years at the Sappi Howick MTB Classic is one former Sharks centre turned passionate mountain biker Jeremy Thomson is relishing when the 2015 edition of the KZN Midlands clash takes place on Sunday 7 June.

Known to most as a raw and unplugged mountain biking experience, Thomson appreciates the simplicity of the route and the true mountain biking test that the event offers participants.

“I am absolutely going to be there!” confirmed the former rugby ace enthusiastically. “The Sappi Howick MTB Classic is one that you can’t miss out on!”

ccs-62657-0-20705000-1432630977.jpgPrime HPI’s Jeremy Thomson is relishing a return to the magical trails of the Howick region when he takes on Sunday 7 June’s Sappi Howick MTB Classic. // Photo credit: Jetline Action Photo/ Gameplan Media.

“I’ve taken part in this event a lot over the years and I love the trials up there.

“There’s a great mix of terrain that helps to keep the course fresh and the organisers always change it up a bit each year as well,” he adds.

2015’s participants are set to enjoy a near-new cycling experience as the 40km event’s route receives a complete make-over.

Many of the region’s renowned trails will however still be included – many in a the reverse direction to what they have been ridden in over the past three years – including spectacular stretches on single track through the vast Sappi plantations in the area.

“Some of the single track in Howick is right up there with my favourites of all time and I cannot wait to ride them again!” explains Thomson.

Having achieved a ninth at last year’s event to go with his tenth in 2012, Thomson has proven time and again that he has what it takes to mix it up with some of the province’s regular top achievers at the annual Howick showdown.

Another top 10 finish in 2015 will undoubtedly be lingering in the back of Thomson’s mind, despite the Prime HPI rider still recovering from some time out of the saddle.

“I am busy coming back from a bit of a break after a tough start to the year,” says Thomson.

“I rode the Cape Epic with Mathew Barrow in March and recently I have been enjoying three weeks away from the bike so I will come into the Howick event a little bit underdone but I will be out there to give it my best shot, as I always do!”

The 2015 Sappi Howick MTB Race takes place from Howick High School on Sunday 7 June with participants able to choose from the 10km Family Ride, 19km Sappi Intermediate Ride and the 40km Sappi Howick Classic. Entries can be submitted online via www.roag.co.za by 3 June and more information can be found at www.howickmountainbiking.co.za.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment