Events

Slanghoek Triathlon a multi-sport dream come true

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 1 comment

Just under 900 multi-sport enthusiasts gathered at the picturesque Breeland Cellar on Sunday, 27 October 2013 to test their skill at the action packed Slanghoek Triathlon presented by Vital Health Foods. Participants could choose between a Junior Triathlon, a Short MTB Triathlon, a Long MTB Triathlon and a Road Bike Triathlon.

ccs-41808-0-15003400-1382947338.jpg

Image credit: Chris Hitchcock / PhotoSport

Bradley Weiss took top honours in the men’s category of the Slanghoek Road Triathlon that consisted of a 1.3km swim, followed by a 42km road bike and a 10km run. According to Weiss placing first at a local event is great motivation after a long season of racing in the U.S. “I got home from America two weeks ago. Being cut off from social media while there, it was great to see all the hype about the Slanghoek Triathlon. It’s exciting to see how the event and the sport of triathlon as a whole have grown in South Africa. Breeland Cellar is the ideal venue for the Slanghoek Triathlon. It is definitely one of the best venues in the Western Cape. It is central, the scenery is amazing and there is so much for the family to do here,” says Weiss who completed the event in an impressive time of 1 hours 57 minutes 20 seconds. Frederick Wagenvoorde came in second, while Tristan Kelly finished third.

With a deserving finishing time of 2 hours 15 minutes 7 seconds, Kelly Van Der Toorn was the participant to beat in the women’s category of the Slanghoek Road Triathlon. According to Van Der Toorn the weather conditions on the day were fantastic. “There was a really nice cool breeze blowing while on the road bike discipline. I really like the new course, while the venue is stunning. Winning today is such a nice end to the weekend,” says Van Der Toorn. Tracy Markham came in second, while Vivienne Williams finished third.

Theo Blignaut set a blistering pace in the men’s category of the Slanghoek Long Mountain Bike Triathlon completing the 1.3km swim, 24km mountain bike and 10km run in a lighting fast time of 1 hours 49 minutes 29 seconds. “I really enjoyed today’s race,” says Blignaut. “I felt good on the swim even though a shoulder injury has limited my swim training. The first half of the mountain bike was good, but then my legs just bombed. Going into the run I focused on keeping my lead. I had to take off my shoes half way in though because of blisters on my feet. This is such an awesome venue, Iqela-Events must definitely hold the Road Triathlon and Long Mountain Bike Triathlon over two days, because then I will do both”. Blignaut decided to bring back old school on the day by racing in a speedo and crop top. Matthew Daneel came in second, while Antoine Van Heerden finished third.

Robyn Williams claimed victory in the women’s category of the Slanghoek Long Mountain Bike Triathlon crossing the finish line after 2 hours 17 minutes 33 seconds. “My swim was fantastic,” says a jubilant Williams. “It was clean and relaxed. My transition to mountain bike was good. The first half of the mountain bike was not too technical, but the second half had some climbs and single track. The run was very hard, while the heat made it even tougher. At water point 1 I had to cool down and had myself a little picnic. This is a fantastic event. Running on a dam wall was really special. I am thrilled with the victory”. Linda Van Wyk came in second, while Tanya Rabie finished third.

JC Lotter claimed the top spot on the podium in the men’s category of the Slanghoek Short Mountain Bike Triathlon. Phil Hulse came in second, while Wilhelm Kuun finished third.

Michelle Prodehl was the lady to beat in the women’s category of the Slanghoek Short Mountain Bike Triathlon. Madelie Van Der Westhuizen came in second, while Famke Allan finished third.

In the Junior Men’s Slanghoek Mountain Bike Triathlon Josh Prins claimed the top spot on the podium. Rossouw Bekker came in second, while Zaldi Steenkamp finished third.

Follow us on Face Book: Iqela Events

Follow us on Twitter: @race_director

Comments

Red Zone

Oct 28, 2013, 11:45 AM

Was a fantastic day out, conditions were great, only a light breeze to cool us off a bit.

Amazing setting, good organisation, lovely course and plenty to keep my support crew occupied, jumping castles, food stalls, swimming pools etc.. Was my second go at this event and I will be back for more next year.

Only problem was some route markings on the run being confusing, at one point there were three options to chose from with three arrows pointing in three directions, after flogging my guts out on the bike this was a bit rough, but only lost a minute I guess.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment