Events

Specialized Bicycles eliminating counterfeit products

· By Press Office · 43 comments

Specialized Bicycle Components looks to improve rider safety and eliminate counterfeit products available for consumer purchase. As the Internet shopping realm continues to grow, so does the opportunity for low-cost, counterfeit products. Although the low-cost purchase opportunities may sound like a bargain up front, purchasing a product that isn’t tested to industry standards is not worth the risk.

“Our goal, regardless of the product, is to provide optimal bikes and equipment for riders around the world, with safety being our utmost concern,” said Slate Olson, Specialized CMO.

The team at Specialized began to notice counterfeit products circulating on eBay back in 2008. At this time the company looked to Andrew Love to form a Brand Protection Team and work to eliminate the fake products available to riders. Over the years, the Brand Protection Team has grown to 14 employees, positioned around the world and covering a vast number of languages. In 2015, this team conducted counterfeit seller takedowns on over 85 e-commerce platforms, averaging over 15 million USD of counterfeit products removed. Specialized has established relationships with eBay, Alibaba, Facebook, PayPal, and Visa to stop counterfeit cycling products and cripple the flow of illicit money,

The Brand Protection team at Specialized hopes to lead the bike industry in the fight against counterfeit products. As a reminder to riders around the world, when searching for a new bike, helmet, carbon frame, handlebars, or even cycling gloves, remember to buy directly from certified retailers to ensure you receive the authentic product.

“I’ve witnessed firsthand how real some of the counterfeit products can look, but how terribly they can fail basic safety tests,” said Andrew Love, Brand Protection Expert. “When you shop at your local Specialized retailer, you look people in the eye with integrity and are guaranteed authentic Specialized products.”

Quality testing of a number of counterfeit products has been done to better understand the hazards. The Specialized S-Works Prevail and Evade are leading cycling helmets, used in the Tour de France by multiple professional teams. We’ve seized a number of these counterfeit helmets. To the naked eye, they look the same as the production helmet. But when put to CPSC impact tests, the helmet fails and can be fatal to the person wearing it. A crash that a rider wearing an authentic Specialized helmet would walk away from could become a major head injury. The difference is that bad; counterfeit helmets are simply made with cheap foam and do not have the integrated roll cage which protects the rider’s head.

To further strengthen efforts to protect rider safety, the Brand Protection Team has coordinated with law enforcement and customs organisations throughout the world, leading to arrests in North and South America, Europe and Asia. Specialized will continue to pursue and eliminate counterfeit cycling products and work to keep riders safe.

Related posts

Comments

LOOK695

Mar 31, 2016, 7:22 AM

I salute them for what they are doing. Unfortunately there will always be a market for cheaper products and often disguised as the real deal which in turn is also fed by the high prices of the genuine product and unaffordability for many consumers

Eldron

Mar 31, 2016, 8:09 AM

I'm not sure "safety" is the main reason ANY company tries to remove fakes from the market. I'm thinking something more green and papery is the reason.

I'm all for Spesh removing ALL fakes from the market. Bringing in cheap carbon goodies is fine but stealing from a known brand by adding their logos is wrong wrong wrong.

Cyclewizz

Mar 31, 2016, 8:27 AM

I saw some time back that they had Shutdown some sites selling fake kit.

Must still cost a few Dollars to chase and shut these guys down.

Can't imagine China being to helpful.

TheJ

Mar 31, 2016, 9:24 AM

Nothing to do with safety, and getting pretty tired of big business trying to convince people of it. Even Chinese frames have to adhere to standards:

CEN Tests

EN14781 Standards

JAPAN JIS Standards

None of the Chinarellos I've owned, that my wife have owned, or my friends, or the carbon wheels, seatpost or bars, have ever failed or hinted at failing.

Its all about protecting the Randellas.

LOOK695

Mar 31, 2016, 9:27 AM

Nothing to do with safety, and getting pretty tired of big business trying to convince people of it. Even Chinese frames have to adhere to standards:

CEN Tests

EN14781 Standards

JAPAN JIS Standards

None of the Chinarellos I've owned, that my wife have owned, or my friends, or the carbon wheels, seatpost or bars, have ever failed or hinted at failing.

But for me there is still a question mark concerning the finished product, especially something like a carbon fork. That being said there are not really any reports about catastrophic failures
Cat2forLife

Mar 31, 2016, 9:42 AM

I have no issue with Chinese frames or wheels, but I don't think that's what they're talking about here. The issue they are tackling is sub- standard knock- offs, which are a safety hazard and perform nowhere near as good as the original product.

Also note that it's not only about the frames and wheels but things like helmets etc. But having said that, people who buy sub- standard, knock- off helmets and safety equipment are a special kind of stupid.

Eldron

Mar 31, 2016, 9:43 AM

But for me there is still a question mark concerning the finished product, especially something like a carbon fork. That being said there are not really any reports about catastrophic failures

Agreed. Having played with a LOT of real, fake and chinocheapies my impression is this:

1) The finish on "real" products is way better - is this an indication of attention to detail in my opinion? Hell yes.

2) Quality control (not necessarily actual quality) is better on "real" brands.

3) Lay up and choice of carbon is better on "real" brands.

Does this mean cheapies are bad and will fail? No but there is a greater chance they might fail.

It is a risk reward choice. If you're happy to ride a product that has a greater chance of failing then it's your choice. You sacrifice some piece of mind for some money.

How big that safety versus money margin is, is the real question. It could be miniscule - it could be great - there just isn't enough clarity and information to make that decision armed with all the facts.

NotSoBigBen

Mar 31, 2016, 9:48 AM

CEN Tests

EN14781 Standards

JAPAN JIS Standards

Yes I'm sure it is largely about the $$$$ but surely people can understand that the copying of designs and even worse then branding it with the original manufacturers name and logos is not on?

Let's not even get in to the selling it on as an original to some unsuspecting cyclist .... and yes it happens more often than everyone would like to think ????

Eldron

Mar 31, 2016, 9:50 AM

I have no issue with Chinese frames or wheels, but I don't think that's what they're talking about here. The issue they are tackling is sub- standard knock- offs, which are a safety hazard and perform nowhere near as good as the original product.

Also note that it's not only about the frames and wheels but things like helmets etc. But having said that, people who buy sub- standard, knock- off helmets and safety equipment are a special kind of stupid.

The problem is - is that there isn't really a difference between knock off fake and chinese cheapie. One has a branded logo on it and one doesn't.

Sub standard is sub standard with or without a logo.

Sure a brand name doesn't mean you'll keep your front teeth forever but it does mean there is a greater chance you will. Probably. Possibly.

And there in lies the rub - there are no consistent numbers, tests or organisations that compare "fake" to "real". Spesh do some but I's bet they only disclose the worst of the fake and best of the real.

LOOK695

Mar 31, 2016, 9:59 AM

The problem is - is that there isn't really a difference between knock off fake and chinese cheapie. One has a branded logo on it and one doesn't.

Sure a brand name doesn't mean you'll keep your front teeth forever but it does mean there is a greater chance you will. Probably. Possibly.

And there in lies the rub - there are no consistent numbers, tests or organisations that compare "fake" to "real". Spesh do some but I's bet they only disclose the worst of the fake and best of the real.

Been thinking the same re testing and comparing the products from a structural point of view and that would mean posing as a buyer and buy from hongfu/yishunbike etc and not from some obscure seller on alixpres. Huge financial expenditure......
Cat2forLife

Mar 31, 2016, 10:45 AM

Fair enough.

I do understand your point that pretty much all of the Chinese frames are knock- offs (as in there are no original designs) and I do not intend to ever ride a cheap Chinese frame.

I do however (and this could just be ignorance) believe that certain Chinese manufacturers design there own wheels and that some of them are to be trusted. Again I do not own or ride Chinese carbon wheels, but from what I have read the rims seem to be ok.

I think that the term "Chinese" might be used a bit too vaguely. There are reputable brands having their products manufactured in China. That being said, most proper stuff in being manufactured in Taiwan. I think what we as consumers need to stay away from and what Specialized and some other companies are fighting is the (ethically debatable and sometimes illegal) manufacture of open- mold frames. These are the frames being churned out of toy factories that have no quality control. One frame could be better than the original and the next could be a death trap.

That's my biggest issue with this "under the radar" Chinese stuff. There is no consistency. I know I would much rather ride a bike that has been made in a factory that the brand supports and carries a warranty and is guaranteed to not catastrophically fail, than ride something I got for cheap.

And let's be honest, those replicas NEVER perform as well as the originals, because as has been mentioned, the do not use the same carbon lay- ups, carbon densities, resin or any of that. They just slap some carbon into a mold and hope for the best.

TheJ

Mar 31, 2016, 11:28 AM

"Perform no-where near the same as the original product"

Pro riders are given bikes straight from the manufacturers, they get to ride the real thing. The rest of us, there is ABSOLUTELY no way for an amateur cyclist, if blindfolded, to tell the difference between a Spez Tarmac and a Chinese Tarmack is maybe 50g, the difference in the Toray carbon used. Joe Soap won't know the difference.

Bloukrans

Mar 31, 2016, 11:43 AM

Oh... thought Spez is a counterfeit product of Merida :ph34r:

eddy

Mar 31, 2016, 11:48 AM

The issue they are tackling is sub- standard knock- offs, which are a safety hazard and perform nowhere near as good as the original product.

Safety, build standards or performance do not come into it. It is simply protecting their brand and has nothing to do with the physical integrity of the product.

Building a stronger, better performing bike and slapping a Specialized sticker on it would meet the same reaction and correctly so.

Grey Hubs

Mar 31, 2016, 12:05 PM

What gets me is that Big name products instill fear that sub standard products will fail, yet when a branded frame breaks it's due to a manufacturing flaw...

Sometimes I believe the Chinese frames are over designed to avoid problems. So not ALWAYS an inferior product...perhaps not cutting edge weight, but still a value purchase.

But agree - don't buy counterfeit and then brand as original. 

TheJ

Mar 31, 2016, 12:10 PM

What gets me is that Big name products instill fear that sub standard products will fail, yet when a branded frame breaks it's due to a manufacturing flaw...

Sometimes I believe the Chinese frames are over designed to avoid problems. So not ALWAYS an inferior product...perhaps not cutting edge weight, but still a value purchase.

But agree - don't buy counterfeit and then brand as original. 

This.

Often the Chinese would use one "grade" carbon lower than the original product, ie Toray T700 vs T800 carbon, to get it to the same strength but it would then maybe be 50g or so heavier. Said it once and I'll say it again, Chinarellos for me from here on in. I won't buy a Speciarized from China, but "blanks", any day.

gummibear

Mar 31, 2016, 12:23 PM

They'll never get all the sellers :eek:  :eek:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-29er-mtb-carbon-frame-Special-27-5-carbon-mtb-frame-carbon-bicycle-frame-with-many/32633381576.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.127.Bc1EMk

http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1_RXXMXXXXXctXpXXq6xXFXXXk/227344914/HTB1_RXXMXXXXXctXpXXq6xXFXXXk.jpg?size=116377&height=640&width=960&hash=8e2b3836f65d4155c39e8f387ade9909

TheJ

Mar 31, 2016, 1:09 PM

They'll never get all the sellers :eek:  :eek:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-29er-mtb-carbon-frame-Special-27-5-carbon-mtb-frame-carbon-bicycle-frame-with-many/32633381576.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.127.Bc1EMk

http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1_RXXMXXXXXctXpXXq6xXFXXXk/227344914/HTB1_RXXMXXXXXctXpXXq6xXFXXXk.jpg?size=116377&height=640&width=960&hash=8e2b3836f65d4155c39e8f387ade9909

You can find anything you want really.

Specialized

http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/v0/519494511/Specialized-S-WORKS-TARMAC-SL3-FRAMESET-white-52-54-56cm-2011.jpg

Giant

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB14cSkJVXXXXbZXXXXq6xXFXXXe/2013-font-b-GIANT-b-font-TCR-Composite-font-b-Carbon-b-font-Frame-Set-700C.jpg

Pinarello

66f02be9c08ee786ed3f0c12c77d3a3f.jpg

MCipollini

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1XqCzIFXXXXcfXXXXq6xXFXXX0/Top-sale-carbon-road-bike-frame-Mcipollini-RB-1000-1k-weave-racing-bike-bicycle-frameset-size.jpg

De Rosa

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1lTPdHVXXXXbeXXXXq6xXFXXXN/New-product-De-rosa-carbon-frame-road-bicycle-de-rosa-888-superking-frames-carbon-road-bike.jpg

Ridley

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1_PNNJVXXXXcXXVXXq6xXFXXXP/221222745/HTB1_PNNJVXXXXcXXVXXq6xXFXXXP.jpg?size=107671&height=640&width=960&hash=05221d9cee62d5537e817ec370dc90c9

Look

http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1bnQVLVXXXXXDXpXXq6xXFXXXp/227344600/HTB1bnQVLVXXXXXDXpXXq6xXFXXXp.jpg?size=121015&height=675&width=900&hash=871485ac8a402f7a92a93e14258ea247

Time

http://g04.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1QCHwGFXXXXcIXpXXq6xXFXXXP/222124106/HTB1QCHwGFXXXXcIXpXXq6xXFXXXP.jpg?size=92302&height=666&width=1000&hash=bcdf7e87866fdf4edf7aac656e36a86f

Cervelo

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1N7UuLVXXXXa8XpXXq6xXFXXX2/220762092/HTB1N7UuLVXXXXa8XpXXq6xXFXXX2.jpg?size=67960&height=600&width=600&hash=ede50f70bd6ff0d41520155faac821f6

Even though I don't agree with branding these frames like the "real" thing, I can promise you any one of these would get you to the finish line of the Argus in exactly the same time as the "real" thing.

Cat2forLife

Mar 31, 2016, 1:15 PM

Safety, build standards or performance do not come into it. It is simply protecting their brand and has nothing to do with the physical integrity of the product.

Building a stronger, better performing bike and slapping a Specialized sticker on it would meet the same reaction and correctly so.

This is true, but I have read an article where Specialized purchased a fake frame from a seller on ebay and did their own tests. Now I am not naive as to think they weren't a little bias, but they did have valid proof concerning safety.

"Perform no-where near the same as the original product"

Pro riders are given bikes straight from the manufacturers, they get to ride the real thing. The rest of us, there is ABSOLUTELY no way for an amateur cyclist, if blindfolded, to tell the difference between a Spez Tarmac and a Chinese Tarmack is maybe 50g, the difference in the Toray carbon used. Joe Soap won't know the difference.

I beg to differ. I for one can definitely feel the difference between even an entry level and higher end carbon frame from the same manufacturer, nevermind a knock- off.

And I am by no means a pro. Ask any cyclist worth his salt and they WILL feel a difference.

EDIT: To support my statement, I work the bike industry and I am fortunate enough to be able to ride a wide variety of bikes. From top end stuff to run-of-the-mill everyday stuff. There is a difference. There is a reason you pay more.

TheJ

Mar 31, 2016, 1:24 PM

I beg to differ. I for one can definitely feel the difference between even an entry level and higher end carbon frame from the same manufacturer, nevermind a knock- off.

And I am by no means a pro. Ask any cyclist worth his salt and they WILL feel a difference.

Did the "expensive" and "cheap" framed bikes have exactly the same parts on? Same wheels, same stem and bars? Cheap wheels probably flex more than more expensive wheels, bars and stem the same. If not, then what you "felt" was probably nothing more than a bit of this...

http://www.bibalex.org/psc/Attachment/Attachment/Original//bigstock_Close-up_of_some_pills_with_o_20890136-300x254.jpg_2014032609035573559.jpg

Cat2forLife

Mar 31, 2016, 1:31 PM

Did the "expensive" and "cheap" framed bikes have exactly the same parts on? Same wheels, same stem and bars? Cheap wheels probably flex more than more expensive wheels, bars and stem the same. If not, then what you "felt" was probably nothing more than a bit of this...

http://www.bibalex.org/psc/Attachment/Attachment/Original//bigstock_Close-up_of_some_pills_with_o_20890136-300x254.jpg_2014032609035573559.jpg

Must be.

Well different strokes for different folks then.

You ride your Chinese bike and I'll carry on riding my genuine bike with the knowledge that I will be safe and probably faster than you.

gummibear

Mar 31, 2016, 1:33 PM

I can promise you any one of these would get you to the finish line of the Argus in exactly the same time as the "real" thing.

I can't agree with that.

I have seen numerous Chinese frames and wheels break causing injury to the riders and others.

I have seen tubbies break off the rim,brake area delaminate from the heat and tyre beads break off.

Most of the frames seem to snap by the head tube and down tube joint.

Matt

Mar 31, 2016, 1:36 PM

Even us down here on the pointy end of Africa have had contact from Andrew Love at Specialized regarding fakes listed in our Classifieds a good while back. They're on the ball and I applaud their proactive approach, but are certainly facing a huge challenge in squashing all suppliers and channels.

The issue of counterfeits (across all brands) and the muddy understanding some have of it continually surprises me. The simple fact is that counterfeit products (like some of the examples others have posted here) are illegal. Some may be better quality than others, but if it carries a brand name illegitimately it's not a question of ethics, morals or performance vs. the real thing... it's downright illegal.

Tony datoy

Mar 31, 2016, 1:40 PM

I can almost guarantee you a fair amount of bicycle frames are manufactured in China.

Giant is one and Silverback is another.

So are these so called fake frames really fake or are they surplus from the factory and sold on the grey market?

I would guess a lot of Specialized merchandise is the same. Made in China and distributed elsewhere. Overruns are ending up on the grey market.

T

Add a comment

You must log in to comment