Events

Sporting heroes ready for mountain biking bliss at Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Taking place on Saturday, 03 and Sunday, 04 December 2016, the 4th annual Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails has attracted the attention of a number of sporting celebrities both local and from abroad.

ccs-58780-0-50201800-1480325159.jpgSA Rally Driver, Ashley Haigh-Smith in action during the 2016 FNB W2W MTB Race. Photo Credit: Jetline Action Photo

Newlyweds, Christoph and Andrea Sauser will make their Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails debut in December. “We’ve only heard positive things about the event,” says Christoph. “Stellenbosch has been my second home for many years. I am really excited to race on the trails. It’s very important to have an event that encourages riders to enjoy the route and scenery. All the trails are connected. This is a big plus for great flow and enjoying special views and trails.”

According to Andrea the sport of mountain biking is very important in their relationship. “It’s probably how we have the most fun together,” says Andrea. “Back home in Switzerland we often plan rides where we can meet somewhere at the top of a mountain and take the downhills together or even do a full ride together, when Susi feels like riding at my pace. I can’t wait to explore more trails, meet people and feel the cheerful atmosphere of the event.”

Reigning FNB W2W MTB Women’s Team Champions, Robyn De Groot and Jennie Stenerhag are eagerly awaiting the start of the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails. “My goal will be to have fun, test and fine tune my 2017 equipment and enjoy an event from a new perspective other than racing,” says De Groot. “The Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails is a nice, relaxed event. It has a great social atmosphere with fantastic mountain biking.”

According to Stenerhag, being able to relax at an event is a welcomed change. “Sometimes it is very important to forget about racing, relax and be reminded of why we ride our bikes,” says Stenerhag. “There is always something new at the Origin Of Trails. Although I am looking forward to seeing the new trails, the single track that I am aware of is also really awesome. My goal is to have fun and talk to as many riders as possible, while enjoying two really nice training rides.”

The Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails has also caught the attention of SA Rally Driver, Ashley Haigh-Smith. “There are definite similarities in the technical side of rally racing and mountain biking,” says Haigh-Smith. “I enjoy mountain biking because it takes me to new, refreshing places. Being the last event of the year, everybody seems to be more relaxed. There is a lot of banter between riders, while enjoying a solid time on the bike. As a mountain bike destination, Stellenbosch is fantastic. Jonkershoek is very special. The incredible amount of work that they put into keeping the trails perfect all year round is unreal.”

Win with MTO at the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails: MTO will be running an exciting “selfie” competition during Stage One of the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails. To stand a chance to win a one year pass into Jonkershoek or any of MTO’s trails, entrants need to take a selfie at the top of the MTO Monster Climb and share it to the MTO Facebook page. The five riders with the most creative photographs will win the prize.

Lucky Draw: One lucky entrant will go home with a Specialized Turbo Levo Hardtail 29er. The lucky draw will take place after Stage Two during Prize Giving. The winner needs to be present to claim his/her prize.

For more information or to enter the Pennypinchers Origin Of Trails please contact Stillwater Sports on 082 991 0045, email entries@stillwatersports.com or visit www.stillwatersports.com.

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment