Events

Stars set to shine at 11th Nedbank sani2c

· By Press Office · 21 comments

Much of South Africa’s top mountain biking talent rolled into Himeville on Wednesday ahead Thursday’s start of the Race event of the 2015 Nedbank sani2c while their more leisurely Adventure and Trail counterparts enjoyed their first and second stage outings respectively.

ccs-62657-0-59807400-1431538057.jpg

RECM women’s team stars Cherise Stander (right) and Ariane Kleinhans (left) relax in the Southern Drakensberg before their bid for the 2015 Nedbank sani2c women’s title. // Photo credit: Dave Macleod/ Gameplan Media.

The ominously in-form RECM teams were quietly confident as they wrapped up their final preparations, sizing up the prospect of podiums in both the men’s and women’s races – if not better.

For Erik Kleinhans 2015 affords him the opportunity to erase the nightmare on 2014 when he and team mate Nico Bell saw their hopes of clinching the prized title evaporate in a high speed crash late on the second stage that left Kleinhans with sever shoulder injury.

“Last year we came so close before the accident put a damper on everything,” said Kleinhans. “This is a major title and one that we really want to win.

“This is such a difficult race to race because the younger cross country guys make it harder for us in the beginning on the single track. But we love that level of competition.”

ccs-62657-0-53381400-1431538054.jpg

Negotiating some of the single track was Daryl Irvin of Team Worm and Wormette during Wednesday’s second stage of the Trail of the 2015 Nedbank sani2c. // Photo credit: Kelvin Trautman/ Gameplan Media.

He added that most of the elite riders were in between peaks after the Cape Epic and the upcoming SA Marathon Championships, which would add a new dimension to the elite race.

The RECM men’s team will find themselves drawn into a title tussle that looks certain to include the duo of Kevin Evans and Max Knox (Biogen-Volcan), one or both of whom has been on the race podium every year bar one since the race’s inception.

Kleinhans believes Biogen-Volcan chances hinge on Evans’ stamina, particularly after his recent announcement of his impending retirement from competitive racing, and was also certain that Blend’s Darren Lill and Waylon Woolcock would be influential, as would the USN Kargo Pro MTB pairing of Alan Hatherly and Brendan Davids, Contego Pro MTB’s Luke Evans and Adriaan Louw as well as EAI Wheeler’s Johann Rabie and Swiss powerhouse Konny Looser.

ccs-62657-0-51394300-1431538047.jpg

Former Proteas fast bowler Makhaya Ntini (Super Group) gives Wednesday’s first stage of the Adventure of the 2015 Nedbank sani2c his vote of approval. // Photo credit: Kelvin Trautman/ Gameplan Media.

On the women’s front an intriguing tussle seems to be looming between the RECM duo of Ariane Kleinhans and Cherise Stander, Specilaized South Africa’s last minute cross country entrants Bianca Haw and Candice Neethling as well as Sasol Racing’s Yolande de Villiers and Catherine Williamson.

Defending champ Jennie Stenerhag of Sweden has had to adjust her race plans at the last minute of regular Ascendis Health partner and South African Marathon Champ Robyn de Groot was forced out of the race due to post viral fatigue syndrome.

Stenerhag will now take to the line with Namibian Marathon, Road and Time Trial Champ Vera Adrian.

Meanwhile, Wednesday’s action saw 1500-plus Adventure riders set off from the race’s new start venue at Glencairn Farm at the base of Sani Pass, soaking up the near perfect conditions on their way down to the first overnight stop at Mackenzie Club near Ixopo.

The a star-studded field enjoyed the presence of countless former South African sporting greats such as former Proteas fast bowler Makhaya Ntini, 1995 Rugby World Cup winning flyhalf Joel Stransky and former South African canoe sprint sensation Andrew Blackburn.

Riding under the South African Rugby Legends Association (SARLA) banner, Stransky and partner Shaun Payne obliterated all but three of the Adventure field as they crossed the line in 3:14.01, paving the way for fellow former Springboks Stefan Terblanche, Butch James, Brent Russell and Trevor Halstead – amongst others.

SARLA Chairman Terblanche explained that his squad of rugby legends was looking forward to a good three days both on and off the bike.

“All the (SARLA) guys are here at sani2c for a great three days of cycling but it’s also just as much about us all having a braai, some beers and lots of fun together as well!” explained the 37-capped Springbok and former Cell C Sharks captain. “Hopefully Joel (Stransky) and Shaun (Payne) can go quite nicely though and then they can look to give it a full go on Friday.”

“There isn’t too much rivalry amongst the guys but once you get out there onto the trails then that natural competitiveness definitely does kick in and you don’t like seeing any of the (SARLA) guys in front of you!” added 2007 Rugby World Cup winner Butch James.

ccs-62657-0-22983200-1431538051.jpg

The going got tough for some of the pairs but having someone there to help was what it was all about during Wednesday’s second stage of the Trail of the 2015 Nedbank sani2c. // Photo credit: Darren Goddard/ Gameplan Media.

While a little off Stransky and Payne’s blistering pace, Super Group’s Ntini crossed the finish line in front of a vocal and welcoming crowd with the former fast bowler receiving their welcome and enjoying the moment with the same energy and broad smile he was known for throughout his time in green and gold.

“I loved every second of that first stage and I cannot wait for tomorrow!” he beamed afterwards.

“Thank goodness for all the hill training I’ve been doing with my son back in East London; it definitely paid off today.

“I’m still not 100% comfortable on the single track through the trees but I’m getting there and I still really enjoyed it all!” he laughed.

Ntini was also thrilled to rub shoulders with his fellow former national heroes out on the trails. “It is great to see others who had done well in other sports previously now coming together again through cycling!”

“There isn’t too much rivalry between the different sportsmen out there on the course, everyone is just motivating each other along the way.”

Meanwhile Wednesday saw the Nedbank sani2c Trail participants tackle the event’s legendary King stage from Mackenzie Club to Jolivet Farm near Umzinto, including the world renowned descent into the spectacular Umkomaas Valley

It was a weary start for a number of the Trail riders who were nursing a few bumps and bruises following a hectic opening day of the 2015 Nedbank sani2c and were slightly apprehensive when heading out on their 98km journey to Jolivet Farm.

Along with the breath-taking descent into the Umkomaas Valley, the second day included a tough section of climbing out of the valley that tested a number of the riders as they looked to conserve enough energy for the final assault towards the finish line.

The mercury continued to rise throughout the day and a number of riders commented on how tough a stage of racing it was but were happy to get to Jolivet Farm’s new-look race village ahead of their final 84km stage down to Scottburgh.

Thursday promises to be a day crammed with polarizing action as the event’s racing snakes take to the trails for the first time during Race’s opening stage while at the same time the Trail’s participants look to round out their three day journey at Scottburgh Main Beach. The Adventure’s competitors will also be in action as they make their way down from Mackenzie Club to Jolivet Farm. More information can be found at www.sani2c.co.za.

Related posts

Comments

Marius

May 14, 2015, 6:10 AM

Cherise Stander is going to have to dig deep keeping up with Ariane Kleinhans, glad I'm not in her shoes.

flyluis

May 14, 2015, 7:12 AM

Exactly my thoughts Marius... I think she's gonna k@k... 

CogitoErgoSum

May 14, 2015, 7:15 AM

How about some respect to a deserving LADY?!?!

She finished two or three minutes behind Ariane at the Clarens event. It will be an amazing experience for Cherise to be out with Ariane.

Monark

May 14, 2015, 7:16 AM

Dude they are not disrespecting her at all.it's a comment. Chill

Marius

May 14, 2015, 7:30 AM

They are just not in the same league imho.

CogitoErgoSum

May 14, 2015, 7:38 AM

They are just not in the same league imho.

That is a given that they are not in the same league. Few SA men will be able to keep up with Ariane. But, the opportunity to ride with someone of that ability would be amazing.

My issue is with someone stating "she is going to k@k" on a public forum. Completely tasteless

leaboy

May 14, 2015, 9:08 AM

Stander & Kleinhans finish in the top 20 for Stage 1!
Winning ladies of course :):)

KarlvN

May 14, 2015, 9:44 AM

How does one Not Like This! a comment...

flyluis

May 14, 2015, 9:50 AM

She finished two or three minutes behind Ariane at the Clarens event. It will be an amazing experience for Cherise to be out with Ariane.

Geez! And it's not even Friday!

Jaco-fiets

May 14, 2015, 9:56 AM

Cherise is in great form and there will be no competion. No secret that Ariane is going to make her suffer. In other word she is going to k@k off a bit. WWhere is the disrespect in that?

Sauzer k@kked in some of the stages to hang with Kulhavy

Patchelicious

May 14, 2015, 10:00 AM

Holy moly. Sensitive much?

Ariane is stronger than Cherise, simple.

Same thing for Max and Kevin.

Bman

May 14, 2015, 10:05 AM

Holy moly. Sensitive much?

Ariane is stronger than Cherise, simple.

Same thing for Max and Kevin.

haha no doubt.

Just at Karkloof last weekend Max put 15min into Kevin on the 60km classic.

Kevin must be k@@@king off :drool:  :ph34r:

Bman

May 14, 2015, 10:06 AM

Stander & Kleinhans finish in the top 20 for Stage 1!

Winning ladies of course :):)

Where does one see the results of day 1?

Erroli8a8

May 14, 2015, 10:08 AM

Ariane Kleinhans would not be riding with Cherise Stander if she did not think that she was good enough.

Top 20 for day one proves the talent. I think that Cherise Stander is pushing hard and learning lots, watch her grow from here.

leaboy

May 14, 2015, 10:10 AM

i follow their twitter account for results.

@_sani2c

sure it'll be up on the site soon: http://www.sani2c.co.za/

Patchelicious

May 14, 2015, 10:10 AM

They just posted on Twitter:

Current MensTeams:

1st: Lill/Woolcock

2nd: Rabie/Looser

3rd: Erik and Nico

4th: Ex doper and Tuck

5th: Max and Kevin

Ladies:

1st: Ariane and Cherise

2nd: De Villiers and Williamson

3rd Adrian and Stenerhag

4th: Haw and Neethling

5th: Sanders and Ralph

Patchelicious

May 14, 2015, 10:13 AM

Ariane Kleinhans would not be riding with Cherise Stander if she did not think that she was good enough.

Top 20 for day one proves the talent. I think that Cherise Stander is pushing hard and learning lots, watch her grow from here.

Nobody said she is "not good enough" jeez people can read things in weird ways.

It was said that Ariane is the stronger rider, simple, and if she decided to push hard, Cherise would need to dig deep. No need to read more into it.

CogitoErgoSum

May 14, 2015, 10:26 AM

Nobody said she is "not good enough" jeez people can read things in weird ways.

It was said that Ariane is the stronger rider, simple, and if she decided to push hard, Cherise would need to dig deep. No need to read more into it.

Apologies then if I dared to offend one of thehub mafia... [emoji22] He should have chosen his words better
Odinson

May 14, 2015, 11:11 AM

Cherise has really worked on her form and is currently in great shape. Her result at Clarens is quite telling.

Also keep in mind that Cherise actually comes from a road/TT rider background and that has always been her main focus. For her to run with one of the strongest lady XCM riders currently is impressive. 

Their top 20 result is bloody good and much respect to them! 

leaboy

May 15, 2015, 9:04 AM

Cherise on todays Stage 2 win. kudos to her

https://twitter.com/_sani2c/status/599137645088874496/video/1

Plentipotential

May 15, 2015, 9:13 AM

If they carry on like this the results will only reflect that Cherise Stander and Ariane Kleinhans won the 2015 Sani2C. I have yet to see an explanation given on the bottom of a results page! Hats off to her, maybe a new chapter for a great young home grown talent.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment