Events

Stenerhag and Suss consolidate Absa Cape Epic lead

· By Press Office · 15 comments

Jennie Stenerhag and Esther Suss (Meerendal CBC) claimed another stage victory at the 2017 Absa Cape Epic, crossing the line of the shortened Stage 2 in a time of 3:05.51.

ccs-58780-0-23995300-1490104596.jpgEsther Suss and Jennie Stenerhag of team Meerendal CBC on their way to winning Stage 2 of the 2017 Absa Cape Epic Mountain Bike stage race from Hermanus High School in Hermanus to Elandskloof in Greyton, South Africa. Photo by Greg Beadle/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

Their nearest rivals for the Hansgrohe Women’s category, Robyn de Groot and Sabine Spitz (Ascendis Health) were right behind them in second, but Meerendal CBC’s overall lead sits at a comfortable eight minutes and 58 seconds.

Third on the day went to defending champion Ariane Lüthi and her new partner Adelheid Morath (Spur), who finished just over five minutes after the first two teams. Barring a major mishap for the leaders or the intervention of a minor miracle for Spur, it would appear that a new women’s champion will be crowned in 2017.

On a day that was shortened from 102km to 62km due to the extreme heat of the previous day and the potential for more hot weather and humid conditions on Stage 2, it was always going to be tough for De Groot and Spitz to cut into the lead of Stenerhag and Suss; and so it proved.

ccs-58780-0-91929900-1490104717.jpgSabine Spitz (L) and Robyn de Groot ® on their way to second place during Stage 2 of the 2017 Absa Cape Epic. Photo by Sam Clark/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

The four riders spent the entire stage riding together, with neither team being able to make a break. De Groot, though, was in high spirits and finished the stage all smiles. “It was a good ride; in fact it was very nice to ride together with Jennie and Esther,” she said. “Sabine and I were comfortable. We wanted a risk-free day, so we just took it easy. On a day like this there is not much you can do, so we kept it nice and tight and just enjoyed the ride.”

Stenerhag, who’s 2016 Absa Cape Epic, where she partnered De Groot, ended prematurely due to ill-health, is enjoying her moment in the orange leaders jersey. “I am very happy with the way the week is going,” she said. “It’s great to be in the lead, and Esther and I are having a great time. I must admit, though, that today was quite strange.”

Like the men’s race, the shorter distance didn’t mean an easier ride for those chasing titles. “Shorter often equals harder,” said Stenerhag. “The pace was really up from the minute we started. But we didn’t mind. As we’ve done every day, Esther and I just took it kilometre by kilometre; our only real strategy is to see how each day unfolds. Today Robyn and Sabine were really strong, so our plan was just to stay with them and let them do all the work. In the days to come, the pressure is really on them to make a move.”

ccs-58780-0-10419800-1490104830.jpgAriane Luthi & Adelheid Morath of Super work their way along the route during Stage 2 of the 2017 Absa Cape Epic. Photo by Sam Clark/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

Suss is also enjoying her time in orange again. “It’s been a long time since I’ve been on the podium at the Absa Cape Epic, so to be able to ride like this with Jennie and be in the lead is fantastic,” she said. “I am very happy with my form and just enjoying the experience of being in front again!”

Related posts

Comments

Rick Sanchez

Mar 21, 2017, 3:46 PM

It's rather disappointing to see that Luthi and Morath are struggling. Nothing against Adelheid, but it just goes to show that experience and an equally strong (or stronger) partner is required to win here. That being said, Araine hasn't been on form since 2015, I feel. Where I always felt she was untouchable, she seems to be struggling to keep up with the rest.

Jaco-fiets

Mar 21, 2017, 3:53 PM

It's rather disappointing to see that Luthi and Morath are struggling. Nothing against Adelheid, but it just goes to show that experience and an equally strong (or stronger) partner is required to win here. That being said, Araine hasn't been on form since 2015, I feel. Where I always felt she was untouchable, she seems to be struggling to keep up with the rest.

Don't for 1 moment think that their position is due to Morath being a weak rider. She is miles stronger than Arianne. The ladies are just much stronger than Arianne that's all. Personally I think she is a bit burnt out. She is a wonderful person with amazing work ethics but the training, stress and personal issues unfortunately took its toll. This is my opinion

@grootlem

Mar 21, 2017, 4:31 PM

And Stenerhag is on another level than before. She was really focused and peaking at the right time. But its only stage 2, expect a fightback from Ascendis 

BaGearA

Mar 21, 2017, 4:41 PM

And Stenerhag is on another level than before. She was really focused and peaking at the right time. But its only stage 2, expect a fightback from Ascendis 

What he said about Stenerhag

Vetseun

Mar 21, 2017, 4:59 PM

Don't for 1 moment think that their position is due to Morath being a weak rider. She is miles stronger than Arianne. The ladies are just much stronger than Arianne that's all. Personally I think she is a bit burnt out. She is a wonderful person with amazing work ethics but the training, stress and personal issues unfortunately took its toll. This is my opinion

Plus 1
Gen

Mar 21, 2017, 5:12 PM

Ja so far almost all of the footage I have seen of the pair it seemed that Arianne was struggling
Vetseun

Mar 21, 2017, 5:15 PM

Ja so far almost all of the footage I have seen of the pair it seemed that Arianne was struggling

If you look at her pre Epic results, you could almost predict it. She just isnt herself. I feel really sorry for her. She seems to be very frustrated as well.
Gen

Mar 21, 2017, 5:15 PM

Stenerhag was very strong last year too.. but remember she developed that heart condition during the race last year, and ended up in hospital and had surgery to correct it, can't remember exactly what it was or if she always had it and it just surfaced during the race.
Gen

Mar 21, 2017, 5:24 PM

If you look at her pre Epic results, you could almost predict it. She just isnt herself. I feel really sorry for her. She seems to be very frustrated as well.

It happens hey.
rpedro

Mar 21, 2017, 6:29 PM

Jys biased :-D

Jaco-fiets

Mar 21, 2017, 6:44 PM

Both Stenerhag and De Groot is on a completely different level than before! It is great to see that Candice has climbed many steps as well. Hell, check how strong Mariska is now. Really makes me happy to see how these ladies improve. I think we have some of the best marathon ladies in the world now.

scotty

Mar 22, 2017, 5:40 AM

I think overall the women's standard and quality has increased this year. When I look at Theresa Ralph who in the past was runner up and podium she's out of top 10 in all the stages thus far. 

gg930

Mar 22, 2017, 6:47 AM

Absolutely agree with Jaco, Ariane is a strong rider, but every rider has their day. Jennie is on top form lately and has been for a while, as for Robyn, she is always consistent. Ariane might need to take a good break to fully recuperate, she has had a lot going on lately and has been mentally strong for a long time now.

Rick Sanchez

Mar 22, 2017, 10:03 AM

I wasn't insinuating that Ariane was stronger than Adelheid, just that I am sad to see them struggling and that Ariane just isn't on form.

Must be very disappointing to win 5 years in a row and then just drop off like she has

nonky

Mar 22, 2017, 10:28 AM

Also, don't underestimate what happens when the aura of invincibility fades - just ask Tiger Woods.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment