Events

Stoltz and Van Huyssteen set sights on another TOTALSPORTS XTERRA SA Title

· By Matt · 0 comments

Reigning men’s and women’s Champions Conrad Stoltz and Carla Van Huyssteen will face a battle of note on Sunday, 24 February 2013 when they return to the Elgin Grabouw Country Club (Western Cape) to state their claim on yet another victory at the much anticipated TOTALSPORTS XTERRA South African Championship presented by REHIDRAT® SPORT.

Conrad Stoltz in action at the 2012 TOTALSPORTS XTERRA South African Championship presented by REHIDRAT® SPORT. Photo Credit ~ www.oakpics.com

According to Stoltz, TOTALSPORTS XTERRA Grabouw is by far his favourite local XTERRA. “Grabouw possesses sentimental value as that is where we had our first South African XTERRA in 2004, but of course I love Grabouw the most because of the hard core route. The mountain bike discipline is one of the few in the world that has a good amount of real connoisseurs’ single track. I believe that the growth of the sport of XTERRA in South Africa can be attributed to the winning recipe of a great course, great venue, flawless organisation and the extensive TV and media coverage that it receives. Dan Hugo will predictably be my toughest competitor on the day, but I’m really excited about the “up-and-coming” athletes who have made big improvements this past season. Stuart Marais, Bradley Weiss, Theo Blignaut and Tyronne White will make for spectacular racing. Richard Murray, our 2012 Triathlon Olympian will make a cameo appearance. It will be interesting to see how he does in the dirt. Taking part in XTERRA is the dream lifestyle. You get to train for three sporting disciplines in the beautiful outdoors, you get to race your buddies on Grabouw’s epic trails and afterwards we drink beer and hang out with friends,” says Stoltz.

“I’m not sure who will be my toughest competition on the day,” says Van Huyssteen. “The women’s competition is really heating up. I try not to focus on who else is racing to prevent myself from getting nervous, but I am sure the Gauteng girls will bring their “A” Game. Competitors can expect to work really hard the first half of the bike course as you climb out of the valley. You will however be rewarded with amazing views and single track as you head back down. The run has some steep climbs, but is also quick at the end so be sure to keep some in the legs to be able to go fast over the “beach” section”.

Carla Van Huyssteen in action at the 2012 TOTALSPORTS XTERRA South African Championship presented by REHIDRAT® SPORT. Photo Credit ~ www.oakpics.com

Van Huyssteen will face tough competition in the form of Carina Wasle (Austria) and Shonny Vanlandingham (Durango, Colorado). Vanlandingham is in her fifth season of racing XTERRA where she has collected 15 championship victories including the 2010 XTERRA World Title. Prior to joining the XTERRA Vanlandingham was the most successful women’s mountain biker in U.S. history with 15 NORBA National victories and was a seven-time member of the U.S. national team.

EVENT INFORMATION:

The TOTALSPORTS XTERRA Grabouw will once again be split over two days with the TOTALSPORTS XTERRA Lite taking place on Saturday, 23 February 2013 followed by the TOTALSPORTS XTERRA Full on Sunday, 24 February 2013.

EXCITING NEWS : This year our XTERRA Warriors in the making will be seen in action on Friday, 22 February 2013 at the TOTALSPORTS XTERRA Kids race.

Friday, 22 February 2013: TOTALSPORTS XTERRA KIDS

Venue: Grabouw Country Club (Western Cape)

Start: 15:30

For more information on the TOTALSPORTS XTERRA KIDS presented by REHIDRAT® SPORT email caro@fluidlines.co.za

Saturday, 23 February 2013: TOTALSPORTS XTERRA Lite presented by REHIDRAT® SPORT

Format: 400m swim, 12km mountain bike and 5km trail run

Start: 09:00

Sunday, 24 February 2013: TOTALSPORTS XTERRA Full presented by REHIDRAT® SPORT

Format: 1.5km swim, 27km mountain bike and 11km trail run

Start: 08:30

Follow us on Twitter: @xterrasa

Follow us on Facebook: Stillwater Sport & Entertainment

For more information on the TOTALSPORTS XTERRA Grabouw presented by REHIDRAT® SPORT please contact Stillwater Sport & Entertainment on 086 138 3591, email entries@stillwatersports.com or visit www.stillwatersports.com.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment