Events

Strong performance by Murray in Miami Triathlon

· By Matt · 0 comments

Richard Murray finished second at Sunday’s Nautica South Beach Triathlon in Miami behind American Ben Collins.

Murray completed the 1.5km-swim, 40km-bike and 10km-run in 1 hour, 48 minutes and 20 seconds. Collins’ winning time was 1:46.54.

Murray got out of the water 40 seconds behind the leaders. “My swim wasn’t great. The windy conditions and choppy water made it very hard,” said Murray.

Photo: Rich Cruse

Not knowing what to expect from the non-drafting bike section Murray started with a vengeance. “It was one of the hardest bike legs I have done since Auckland WTS at the end of last year. There was absolutely no recovery time on the bike. I pushed hard and was soon in second place behind Collins. He was a machine on the bike.” Collins’ posted a 51.45 bike split; it was some three minutes faster than anyone else on the day.

Murray started the run with Joseph Maloy and Hunter Kemper. “I put the hammer down for the first 5km of the run and surprisingly the legs were feeling good despite the hard bike leg at an average of 45km/h.”

This was the first non-drafting race over Olympic distances for Murray. “It really was an interesting experience.”

The race in Miami was Murray’s fourth race of the season and the second time he has placed second after starting the year with two victories.

“I’m happy with my race today, but I know that I can swim better, and I will swim better in the months to come. This year progression is very important and it will be my main focus in the next two weeks leading up to my first race in the World Series.”

The second event in the World Series is on Saturday 20 April in San Diego. “There will be some big names at the start line. It is definitely going to be good to be part of it and great for spectators to watch and follow I think.”

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment