Eliminator is a short course heat racing format of mountain biking whereby riders race four at a time across a track (roughly 800m) being tested on their speed, power and bike handling skills. The top two finishers advance to the next round whilst the bottom two finishers are eliminated from the event. Basically it is everything you need for a cross country or marathon race condensed into a minute and a half leg burning sprint.
The course although relatively flat was on grass which provided a lot of resistance and many of the riders commenting that they were happy it wasn’t any longer. The route also incorporated a pump track which had the riders flying out of the berm! Racing throughout the day was incredibly fast paced as riders bumped handle bars trying to position themselves for the inside line on the tight corners. There was plenty for the spectators to cheer about and the occasional spill as riders weren’t willing to give an inch in their attempt to finish top two in every heat to advance to the final.
A standout moment from the day was in the under 16 boys semi finals where Thamsanqu Makhanya from the Go Durban Cycle Academy went wide around a corner hitting the taping which got entangle in between his cassette and wheel yet continued to fight on despite clearly being slowed down and yet managing to hold onto second place to advance to the final where he won. It was once again the “elder” age division which stole the show where moms and dads raced - it must have been egos at stake as dads found extra pace to streak ahead of the moms!
As with every event, it would not be possible without the support of sponsors and the Eliminator Series is grateful to have great brands supporting us in every province: Red Bull, Giant Bicycles, Skullcandy, OGIO, Fox Racing, Race Pace Sportswear and Yesman Branding.
The Eliminator Series is moving inland to Gauteng with the first event taking place this Sunday 25 June at Northern Farm and then Wolwespruit MTB Trails on Sunday 2 July. Entries are open until Friday 23 June 2017 at 12pm.
Enter now: www.onemovement.co.za/eliminator
1. Madison Bateson - Curro Mount Richmore
2. Kirsten Du Plessis - Reddam House Umhlanga
3. Jazlyn Moolman - St Benedict
u/12 Girls: Kayla Sanford - Gelofte Skool
1. Chloe Bateson - Curro Mount Richmore
2. Ainsli De Beer - Westville Girls High School
3. Carla-Jane Marais - Athol Heights
1. Cameron Calitz - Hillcrest Primary
2. Logan Stander - Curro Hillcrest Christian Academy
3. Matthew Horter - Curro Hillcrest Christian Academy
1. Marcel Moore - Home School
2. Darren Bold - Merchiston Prep
3. Franco Clayton - Toti Primary
1. Nicholas De Bruin - Creston College
2. Daniel Van Der Watt - Maritzburg College
3. Jonty Watts - Kloof Senior
1. Thamsanqu Makhanya - Go Durban Cycle Academy
2. Johandre Marx - Maritzburg College
3. Matthew Opperman - Ashton College
1. Andrew Edwards
2. Thomas Cheatle - Maritzburg College
3. Cayde Muldoon - Go Durban Cycle Academy
1. Channing Smith
2. Duane Stander
3. Josh Nelson
Moms & Dads
They called it a draw...
Jason Du Plessis