Events

Swedish national champ joins South African MTB setup

· By Press Office · 4 comments

South Africa’s first ever UCI trade team, Kargo Pro MTB have taken another major step towards achieving their goal of developing a world class outfit capable of competing with the globe’s best after welcoming world number nine cross country star Emil Lindgren to their team ahead of the 2015 season.

The multiple Swedish national champion is looking forward to adding an African chapter to the story that is his illustrious mountain biking career and, on top of furthering his personal career, the 28 year-old hopes to help take the team even closer to their goal.

“It’s time for a new chapter in my professional career. I’m mega motivated to continue developing and having fun on my bike and I can’t wait to get it all rolling with Kargo Pro MTB shortly,” Lindgren says.

“I have known about the Kargo team for a couple of years now as they have had riders out there and a very good looking bike; something that always caught my eye!” he adds.

ccs-2-0-01184100-1417170627.jpg

Kargo Pro MTB team have taken things to the next level by welcoming Swedish world number nine Emil Lindgren to their team for 2015.

mtbcrosscountry.com/Gameplan Media

Having seen the door close on his previous setup, Lindgren is looking forward to being involved in the South African based team after discovering a synergy between his goals and the team’s.

“After being on Giant bikes for the last five years, it came to an end as they pulled back the support of a World Cup team

“While I was looking at my options Kargo Pro MTB team were one of the first to approach me with an offer and I got a really exciting feeling from our discussions and I’m looking forward to 2015!” he adds.

Kargo team manager Shaun Peschl is thrilled with the news that Lindgren is set to don Kargo’s colours and will mount his new Momsen VIPA machine – already en route to Sweden – shortly.

“We are delighted to welcome Emil to our Kargo setup!” says Peschl.

“Emil’s CV clearly demonstrates his world class riding abilities and we consider ourselves extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to work with him throughout the 2015 season and, hopefully, beyond.”

Kargo Pro MTB seeks to provide a support structure and create an environment that will see its riders fulfill their true potential and Peschl believes Rourke Croeser and Travis Walker’s recent progression into a European factory setup further confirms the team is on the right track.

The Kargo chief also looks forward to Lindgren’s presence aiding in the team climbing even further up the ladder to international success.

“When we launched the Kargo Pro MTB team we set ourselves a goal of becoming a UCI elite trade team and we took the first step in our journey towards achieving that in January this year when we became a UCI trade team,” explains Peschl.

“The fact that we are preparing local riders for international factory outfits while attracting world class international stars of the pedigree of Emil’s to our team just goes to show that we have now taken the next step in our journey.”

The team’s ‘Proudly South African’ motto and ambition to see a local operation achieve global success still rings true, despite having changed their map to success in a manner not dissimilar to that of South African road cycling team MTN Qhubeka powered by Samsung.

“We’re still very much a local team with strong South African roots. Homegrown brands such as Kargo and Momsen still lead the way in backing what we’re doing while our focus remains on developing local talent.

“We realized though that we needed to bring someone in who could help mentor and be an example for our youngsters to learn from and aspire to while also providing the necessary experience and expertise that will help us achieve our dream.

“We look forward to Emil fulfilling this role for us while we look to aid in the development of his individual career as well,” explains Peschl.

Team title sponsors Kargo National are thrilled with the news and believe the international star’s presence both in the team’s setup and at the sharp end of international clashes will aid significantly in strengthening the belief in and awareness of Kargo Pro MTB’s efforts.

“On behalf of Kargo National, Greg Blackwell and I would like to extend a warm welcome to Emil Lindgren to the Kargo Pro MTB Team!” says Leigh Oliveira of Kargo National.

“Emil will certainly be an asset to our team and we are confident he will be successful in Kargo colours. The talent and skill that Emil brings is priceless and we are sure to learn from him.

“This is an exciting time for the team and we are looking forward to the new season,” she adds.

Victor Momsen of Momsen Bikes attributes part of his brand’s local success to the leading South African bicycle manufacturer’s association with the Kargo Pro MTB setup and Lindgren’s joining is set to play an important role in the broadening of the brand’s horizons internationally.

“Working with top elite riders throughout product development has always been part of our brand’s success and the opportunity to work with one of the world’s top ten riders is an exciting opportunity for us,” says Momsen.

More info is available at www.peschlracing.com

Comments

rock

Nov 28, 2014, 12:14 PM

Wow, didn't see that coming.

Impressive for Kargo.

JannemanB

Nov 28, 2014, 7:31 PM

Great Guys, nothing beats experience, wonderful for the Momsen brand !!

Enjoy the 2015 season, looks to be EXCITING times.

Mousea

Nov 29, 2014, 6:12 AM

Intresting

If we cant beat them Buy them ;)

All the best Team Kargo for 2015

Iwan Kemp

Nov 29, 2014, 9:09 AM

Great move by Kargo and a great boost for local cycling. Kargo has done well, but he will inspire and motivate them to greater heights and it will give cycling in SA an added boost.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment