Events

Take on the tallest peaks of the Sultanate of Oman at Trans Hajar mountain bike stage race

· By Press Office · 22 comments

Don’t miss the Trans Hajar, an awesome new mountain bike stage race set in the highest mountain range of the Sultanate of Oman. In its fifth year but with a completely new 400 kilometre course over five days, the Trans Hajar Mountain Bike Race, driven by Oman Cycling Association, takes in epic scenery, challenging climbs, descents and customised single-track making this a must do event for pros and amateurs alike.

ccs-62657-0-41668900-1418112548.jpg

Photo credit: Lloyd Images/Trans Hajar – 2014 Trans Hajar race.

From 30 January to 3 February 2015 an international field of competitors will push themselves to the limit on and around Jebel Shams, Arabia’s highest peak at 3,028 metres. The course takes riders into stunning virgin territory through canyons, wadis, river-crossings and of course, the occasional village untouched by time, providing an inside view of a uniquely beautiful country.

At the Trans Hajar, riders compete as individuals rather than in pairs. Quad bikes, off-road buggies and 4×4 support cars will patrol the routes equipped with satellite phones, toolboxes, first aid kits and some basic spares to lend a hand.

ccs-62657-0-57034600-1418112552.jpg

Last year’s edition saw a record field of 91 riders from 17 different countries, including some of the sport’s most successful champions such as South Africa’s Timo Cooper who is a pro rider for Rocky Mountain and Hannele Steyn a past winner of the Cape Epic – the ultimate mountain biking challenge.

British Motorcycle legend and world record holder, Guy Martin, was one of the 91 in 2014. Crossing the finishing line, he said: “I really enjoyed it. Give it a couple of weeks to sink in and it’ll be the best thing ever!”

ccs-62657-0-30202400-1418112568.jpg

Oman is a must visit for globetrotting cycling enthusiasts seeking adventure, culture and an untouched environment. The Trans Hajar is an ideal winter training destination. The country prides itself on its authenticity, traditions and welcoming approach to visitors and is home to some of the best biking trails in the world.

ccs-62657-0-45259400-1418112571.jpg

Photo credit: Trans Hajar – Al Hajar Mountains, Oman.

Early Bird Discount

Don’t miss the chance to take on this awesome challenge!

Be one of the first 60 riders to enter and receive a 1000dhs discount off the full rate (270 USD, 212 EUR, 167 GBP, 104 OMR) when you use the following discount code: sr5433566v.

ccs-62657-0-43548900-1418112586.jpg

Watch what happened during the 2014 Trans Hajar Race:

For this and much more, visit The Trans Hajar website.

ccs-62657-0-34726000-1418112590.jpg

Comments

Slowbee

Dec 9, 2014, 6:38 PM

how much are plane tickets to this place ?

Slowbee

Dec 9, 2014, 6:43 PM

oh boo. One race village with transport to the start and then ride more or less circles to get back to race village.

Zatopek

Dec 9, 2014, 9:19 PM

Oman is the one Arabian Peninsula country that really pull me. I would be very tempted. A bit expensive.

Anyone that was at the event last year that can comment on:

• Can a slow backmarker 'fit in'? 
  • Safety?
  • Potential for MTB touring there?
Izak

Dec 10, 2014, 5:21 AM

how much are plane tickets to this place ?

Tickets are actually not that expensive especially around that time. You can pay anything from R7000 to as low as R4000 all depends on which airline as well as when you want to go. My brother stays in Muscat and I would have been in for this, but we've got our moms 80th here that weekend ;).  

Maybe 2016...  Those mountains are hectic, trust me I have walked them.

Kranswurm

Dec 10, 2014, 5:28 AM

Pretty much boring riding although the scenery is awesome

Saw the Kenya stage race on SCycling last night.That is the one to do.Best I have seen

RABUBI

Dec 10, 2014, 6:35 AM

Just added this to the bucket list

Zatopek

Dec 10, 2014, 7:11 AM

Saw the Kenya stage race on SCycling last night.That is the one to do.Best I have seen

Kranswurm, did you ride in that area? Would I be able to tour offroad/singletrack with safety?

Errie

Dec 10, 2014, 2:31 PM

..Looks good, but warm out there!

Kranswurm

Dec 10, 2014, 2:41 PM

Kranswurm, did you ride in that area? Would I be able to tour offroad/singletrack with safety?

Where?Kenya?yes...totally safe I know David Kinjah and he is adamant its safe in Kenya

I have not done it myself but I am seriously considering that tour

Zatopek

Dec 10, 2014, 10:40 PM

Thanks

Izak

Dec 11, 2014, 5:20 AM

Dunno if I agree with you.  If we label this as boring we can just as well say K2C etc. are all boring.  I think they all have their place.

Kranswurm

Dec 11, 2014, 5:27 AM

Dunno if I agree with you.  If we label this as boring we can just as well say K2C etc. are all boring.  I think they all have their place.

They do but to me K2C is a race where there is little time to enjoy scenery etc.

Personally I have no desire to do K2C,TB,Crater Cruise etc.Berg and Bush,Swazi,Tour de Tuli,Vic Falls etc are far more appealing

Hell and back is a drag

But now that Kenyan stage race looks awesome

Izak

Dec 11, 2014, 5:29 AM

They do but to me K2C is a race where there is little time to enjoy scenery etc.

Personally I have no desire to do K2C,TB,Crater Cruise etc.Berg and Bush,Swazi,Tour de Tuli,Vic Falls etc are far more appealing

Hell and back is a drag

But now that Kenyan stage race looks awesome

Please send me some more details ... izakmerwe@gmail.com

Yeah I agree Tour de Tuli is one I would lovvve to do or that one in Madagascar!!

Kranswurm

Dec 11, 2014, 5:37 AM

Please send me some more details ... izakmerwe@gmail.com

Yeah I agree Tour de Tuli is one I would lovvve to do or that one in Madagascar!!

http://laikipiaxc.com/about.html

Couple of my friends did the Madagascar event this year.Loved it.

It is run by Fiona Coward of Sabie fame

Edition 507

Dec 11, 2014, 4:44 PM

Taliban will kidnap you like they did Korkie

madmarc

Dec 11, 2014, 5:04 PM

Taliban will kidnap you like they did Korkie

My thoughts ekzakery !!!! However he was kidnapped in Yemen which is next door. Trip advisor says that Oman is safer than London and a good tourist destination.

Needles to say, any westener traveling to the middle east has got to have rocks in their head.

Jocklaw

Dec 11, 2014, 5:22 PM

Won't attract too many people showing dirt road riding. Should highlight what single track there is. Anyhow, no way I am going anywhere near the Middle East!!

Edition 507

Dec 11, 2014, 5:32 PM

My thoughts ekzakery !!!! However he was kidnapped in Yemen which is next door. Trip advisor says that Oman is safer than London and a good tourist destination.

Needles to say, any westener traveling to the middle east has got to have rocks in their head.

This is the perfect lure to increase al-Qaeda Westerner hostage stock seeing as they did lose two this week.

Titusrider

Dec 14, 2014, 6:44 PM

2 Words Al-Qaeda!!!!! enough said

Bianchisti

Dec 16, 2014, 6:53 AM

Lots of ignorant comments on here. I would feel safer sleeping in a tent in the Omani outback than I would sleeping in a house in the middle of Joburg with no burglar proofing.

I've done both by the way.

gkp

Dec 16, 2014, 7:22 AM

Just to put it into perspective - the place the race is based in, is around 2 500km from where Korkie was kidnapped. So, about as safe as you are in Jhb from murderous rebels based in the DRC!

VeloRacer

Dec 16, 2014, 2:37 PM

Wow! A lot of ignorant comments regarding safety in Oman. Let me remind u that Korkie was killed by the American special forces.

You guys sound like American tourists who cancelled their holidays to South Africa "coz they have Ebola".

Add a comment

You must log in to comment