Events

Team FedGroup-Itec throws Evans a lifeline

· By Matt · 147 comments

After finding himself without a pro contract for 2013, following the recent, sudden closure of his team due a doping infringement, multiple South African mountain bike-racing champion, Kevin Evans, has been thrown a lifeline by former rival team, FedGroup-Itec.

Evans has been signed to the growing professional mountain bike racing team for a period of two years (2013-2014). He joins fellow Elite male riders, Brandon Stewart and Neil MacDonald, Under-23 male, Brad Stroberg and Elite female, Bridgette Stewart.

“It’s amazing how the people involved in the FedGroup-Itec team have been so supportive and have given me this opportunity. Also to SCOTT bicycles for their continued support. I am truly grateful and look forward to a being brand ambassador to the best of my ability,” said Evans.

evans.jpg

Kevin Evans, seen here in action during the 2012 Sani2c stage race, has signed a two-year contract with FedGroup-Itec.

Photo credit: Full Stop Communications.

“We were quick to offer Kevin a ride on our team, largely because he’s such a great ambassador, not just for his sponsors but also for the sport of mountain biking. His addition to our team allows us to grow the team to a new level and really tackle the serious racing side of the sport at the highest level with more consistency and confidence,” said Stewart, who also owns the team. “With myself, Kevin and Neil, we’ll have a wide range options in our quest for all the major race podiums in South Africa and even abroad.”

“We have yet to finalise our Cape Epic plans, but Brandon and I have started every single edition of the race and obviously, being the 10th anniversary, it’s a big year for the race and for us each personally in 2013. I’ll be on the start line for sure and riding my heart out as usual. It’s a race I’d love to win still, but I do have my eye on a Marathon World Champs medal too; and with the 2014 Marathon World’s in South Africa, that will be a big focus for me,” said Evans.

For Scott Field, Executive Member of FedGroup, the signing of Evans is another opportunity for growth:

“Life throws you a curve ball every now and then and it’s those that turn the situation around that really show true character. We can identify with Kevin’s curve- ball situation and didn’t hesitate to offer him a contract. In fact, we actually started this team by throwing Brandon (Stewart) a similar lifeline in 2011. It turned out to be sound decision that’s reaped great results.

“Kevin’s got a superb racing pedigree and is a family man, two qualities we can identify with as a business. Signing him up for a two-year period will help give the team stability from which I’m sure the results will be impressive. This is simply also an extension of FedGroup’s involvement in mountain biking in South Africa,” said Field.

FedGroup is the title sponsor of the annual FedGroup Berg & Bush, a series of three popular mountain bike stage races in the KwaZulu-Natal province.

“We’re in this sport for the long haul and signing Kevin up is a pivotal move in our quest to move forward with the intention to grow this team. As sponsors, we have some experience now in what it takes to run a team successfully, so we’re not just being blindly optimistic, we are passionate about mountain biking and see this as a sound investment in the team’s future,” said Gavin Meyer, Managing Director of Itec Connect.

Over an 11-year professional racing career, the popular Evans has been a four-time national marathon champion, one-time Elite men’s cross-country national champion, one-time national Elite men’s road individual time trial champion, multiple ABSA Cape Epic stage winner and overall podium finisher and Marathon World Cup round winner. He has also won virtually every major marathon and short stage race in South Africa.

The team will be riding SCOTT bicycles as a result of the equipment and financial backing the brand is offering to the team in support of Evans, who has helped the Swiss-based brand raise its profile in the growing endurance racing category over the past two years.

Comments

nickc

Nov 27, 2012, 11:30 AM

I thought Brandon Stewart already had a team and partner.

I must have been wrong. Good to see KE has a team, good luck for the Epic !!

slabs

Nov 27, 2012, 11:36 AM

This from the Fedgroup team website.

Pro MTB Team |

Welcome to the homepage of team FedGroup-Itec Connect. Three professional and dynamic riders complete the current team outfit, with an exciting new addition coming soon! Brandon Stewart, , Bridgette Stewart and Brad Stroberg compete in all major stage races in South Africa. These races include the MTN marathon series as well as selected international marathons.

rouxtjie

Nov 27, 2012, 11:37 AM

ok so he is joining Fedgroup-Itec...so is that the final nail for 360Life? Must be surely

Cycho

Nov 27, 2012, 11:38 AM

Ha ha... and Brandon / Fedgroup were trying to hype up the suspense... until old Mclean spilt the beans!!!!!!

rouxtjie

Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 AM

Ha ha... and Brandon / Fedgroup were trying to hype up the suspense... until old Mclean spilt the beans!!!!!!

Yip saw that on twitter....doh!

jcza

Nov 27, 2012, 11:40 AM

I thought Neil Mcdonald joined Fedgroup?

rouxtjie

Nov 27, 2012, 11:42 AM

I thought Neil Mcdonald was joined Fedgroup?

+1...#confused, maybe both of them are. I am wondering what will happen to James Reid

nickc

Nov 27, 2012, 11:43 AM

I thought Neil Mcdonald was joined Fedgroup?

Thats what I was thinking - maybe they decided KE is a better bet.

jcza

Nov 27, 2012, 11:44 AM

+1...#confused, maybe both of them are. I am wondering what will happen to James Reid

Stewart & Mcdonald raced together for the 1st time at Berg & Bush and announced it.

Luus to join RE:CM.

Haven't heard anything about Reid.

rouxtjie

Nov 27, 2012, 11:45 AM

Stewart & Mcdonald raced together for the 1st time at Berg & Bush and announced it.

Luus to join RE:CM.

Haven't heard anything about Reid.

Seems like I will be watching Supercycling tonight...I normally watch teletubies with my 16 months old girl in that slot. whistling.gif

G-Unit

Nov 27, 2012, 11:47 AM

Seems like I will be watching Supercycling tonight...I normally watch teletubies with my 16 months old girl in that slot. whistling.gif

I personally find the Teletubbies more thought provoking...

Grebel

Nov 27, 2012, 11:58 AM

I personally find the Teletubbies more thought provoking...

Don't knock the 'Tubbies bru... That Po rides a mean scooter...... and it's red!

scooby15

Nov 27, 2012, 12:07 PM

Team is not strong enough to challenge for Epic, so KE climbing onto Momsen bikes for the epic????

jcza

Nov 27, 2012, 12:16 PM

Team is not strong enough to challenge for Epic, so KE climbing onto Momsen bikes for the epic????

Can't see Evans or Stewart or Mcdonald in any combination winning the Epic.

rouxtjie

Nov 27, 2012, 12:19 PM

I concur doctor, maybe maybe maybe Platt and his new tjom.

scooby15

Nov 27, 2012, 12:22 PM

or even a stage, and on hardtails if they stay on momsen, but seeing the oldcootbikers tweet they might be on scott

jcza

Nov 27, 2012, 12:25 PM

I concur doctor, maybe maybe maybe Platt and his new tjom.

Urs Huber. All the top guys from Europe will be there. Also keep a eye out for the Swiss bros Flukinger (spelling!)

EDIT: Flueckiger

Brian Fantana

Nov 27, 2012, 12:29 PM

Brandon and Kevin have been epic team mates before, but Brandon also moered Kevin off his bike at Barbeton the one year. This is going to be interesting.

rouxtjie

Nov 27, 2012, 12:33 PM

Brandon and Kevin have been epic team mates before, but Brandon also moered Kevin off his bike at Barbeton the one year. This is going to be interesting.

Yeeessss, remember that. Vergeet en vergewe it seems

Stretch

Nov 27, 2012, 12:42 PM

well i never.....not a likely match in my opinion....but lets see

G-Unit

Nov 27, 2012, 12:45 PM

Haha!! I remember that - it was classic watching Kevin not trying to drop the F-bomb during the post race interview. Although, in retrospect, getting switched by Brandon wasn't nearly as bad as what Doper George just did to him.

Shebeen

Nov 27, 2012, 12:55 PM

long time ago, if I can remember correctly Brandon chased a lot of rear wheel in that partnership

http://www.cape-epic.com/acelive08/results2007.php

They came 7th, one behind Sickmueller and Birkenfeld

Even shan Wilson was top 10 in those days

javadude

Nov 27, 2012, 12:59 PM

But they'll be on USN, so surely they could.

jcza

Nov 27, 2012, 1:06 PM

I'm confused

Neil MacDonald@neiltchmil

Super happy to be part of the @FedGroup @FedGroupITEC family for the 2013 & 2014 Mountain Bike season.

EDIT: granted it doesn't take much to confuse me

Add a comment

You must log in to comment