Events

Team MTN-Qhubeka delighted with La Vuelta a Espana return

· By Press Office · 9 comments

The Vuelta a Espana organisation committee announced the 5 wildcards for the 70th edition of the Vuelta a Espana earlier today. Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung were delighted to receive the vote of confidence from the race organisers once again, as they extended an invitation to our African team.

After our debut Grand Tour appearance at last year’s La Vuelta a Espana, it is fantastic that we will be able to return to the Spanish grand tour this year. The minute the announcement was made, the amazing memories from last years’ experience came flooding back to the MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung camp.

ccs-62657-0-26907600-1426865971.jpg

As was proved last year, the Vuelta a Espana is the grand tour which suits our African riders perfectly. The soaring temperatures allowed our riders to come into their own and animate the race on a daily basis. We look forward to going back to this special and beautiful race, improving on our previous results and further establishing our team as a major player in world cycling.

The 2015 Vuelta a Espana will commence on the 22nd August, starting once again with a team time trial. Riders will tackle 21 stages in total, covering a total distance of 3 374km’s before finishing in the Spanish capital of Madrid on September 13th.

It is absolutely great. The Vuelta is one of the races that really suits us African riders quite nicely. The terrain and weather are conditions we are accustomed to. To go back there is great because we will have the experience from last year so we will hope to grow and improve on our results. We also have great depth in our team this year so it is exciting that we have the opportunity to represent Qhubeka at two grand tours this year.
Louis Meintjes – Rider
La Vuelta will be a race we will always remember as it was our first grand tour for our African team. To be able to go back this year gives us an incredible opportunity to improve on our performances from a year ago, it gives us the opportunity to give more African riders a chance to race a grand tour and experience one of the most beautiful races in the world.
Douglas Ryder – Team Principle
This team is growing from strength to strength and we are pleased that the organisers of La Vuelta have realised that we are not just about the numbers but more about what we can bring to the party. Last year we started and finished with a full team. This year we have very ambitious plans. We are so looking forward to going back to La Vuelta.
Brian Smith – General Manager

Comments

Shebeen

Jul 27, 2015, 12:15 PM

ok. so who's going to be in the team?!

starts on august 22, just over three weeks

90 Inch

Jul 27, 2015, 12:36 PM

I suspect mainly the riders who did not do TDF,

Van Zyl

Thompson

Goss

Farrar

Ciolek

Boss

Venter

Maybe give Meintjies another go if he is well rested ?

Mntboy

Jul 27, 2015, 5:23 PM

I suspect mainly the riders who did not do TDF,

Van Zyl

Thompson

Goss

Farrar

Ciolek

Boss

Venter

Maybe give Meintjies another go if he is well rested ?

Farrar did actually race the TdF, just didn't feature in anyway. Hoping to see Berhane and Reguigui get a chance to do the Vuelta considering they were so close to TdF selection.
TALUS

Jul 27, 2015, 5:41 PM

Farrar did actually race the TdF, just didn't feature in anyway. Hoping to see Berhane and Reguigui get a chance to do the Vuelta considering they were so close to TdF selection.

Race. Really?

Pah Bear

Jul 27, 2015, 7:14 PM

Heheheee. His race number was 213.

Plentipotential

Jul 27, 2015, 7:28 PM

ok. so who's going to be in the team?!

starts on august 22, just over three weeks

If I start training tomorrow I should be ready. :ph34r:

Mntboy

Jul 27, 2015, 7:39 PM

Race. Really?

Like I said he 'apparently' raced the TdF!
90 Inch

Aug 14, 2015, 1:30 PM

11890947_10206220118693788_8620035202216

Sharkie 2

Aug 14, 2015, 1:49 PM

Like I said he 'apparently' raced the TdF!

No no you stated actually :oops: .....just kidding

Add a comment

You must log in to comment