Events

Team MTN-Qhubeka receive wild card to 2015 Tour de France

· By Press Office · 64 comments

Earlier today the Amaury Sports Organisation (ASO) announced the 22 teams that will participate in the 2015 Tour de France. Along with the 17 World Tour teams, 5 wild card teams were announced with MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung receiving an invitation. MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung would like thank the ASO for the invitation and to congratulate the other 4 wild card recipients, Europcar, Cofidis, Bretagne-Seche Environnment and Bora-Argon 18.

ccs-2-0-06186800-1421262377.jpg

To receive a wild card for the Tour de France is a dream come true for the entire MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung team, while it is also a historic moment for World and African cycling. In all the 101 previous editions of the Tour de France, this will be the first time an African registered team will take part in this, the biggest cycling race in the world. We are extremely proud to be able to represent South Africa and Africa on one of the biggest stages in world sport.

The journey to reach the Tour de France has been a 7 year adventure and it certainly would not have been possible without our fantastic partners, particularly MTN who have shared our vision from the beginning as well as Samsung who have been on board since 2013. The added support from all our other partners, new and old, have allowed the dream of putting an African team on the starting line of the Tour de France to become a reality. We are now able to expose the work of Qhubeka to the world and in doing so, we will be able to change more lives in Africa through bicycles.

The 2015 Grand Depart will take place on the 4th July, starting with a 14km time trial in Utrecht. The riders will tackle 21 stages, covering 3344km in total before the 2015 Le Tour finishes on the famous Champs Elysees on 26 July. The ASO also announced the 20 teams that will take part in the Critérium du Dauphiné and MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung are delighted to have been included in this event as well. The Critérium du Dauphiné is a World Tour event starting on the 7th of June which will be vital in our Tour de France preparation.

“When I received a text message from Christian Prudhomme saying welcome to the Tour de France asking me to call him back, I simply could not contain myself, I shouted to my wife and then things started going crazy. I have been waiting my whole life for this news. The pressure over the years of getting partners and riders to believe in this dream is finally a reality. We have so many people to thank that have been a part of this journey and I know our riders and staff will be the most motivated team in the world right now ahead of our 2nd training camp starting this weekend. We will not only ride in the Tour, we will compete and we will have the support of the whole continent behind us.
Douglas Ryder – Team Principal
“I feel extremely proud to be part of a bit of African Cycling History. Its been a lot of hard work from many people and today has been very emotional when it was confirmed we would ride the Tour de France. This is a new chapter for MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung and we hope there will be many more chapters to come. This team is about making a difference and we are looking forward going to the Tour and making sure we make all our partners and supporters happy.”
Brian Smith – General Manager
“MTN congratulates the team for being invited to ride the 2015 Tour De France – it is a historic moment indeed for MTN South Africa and the entire continent. We wish everyone at Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung well at the upcoming Tour de France.”
Larry Annetts – MTN South Africa Chief Marketing Officer
“Qhubeka would like to congratulate Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung on their Tour de France Wildcard entry. This is proof that any dream is possible if you keep moving forward. The team has supported and raised awareness for the work we do as a non-profit for many years. It is great to have the chance to return the favour as we cheer for an African Team in the Tour de France.”
Sarah Phaweni – Qhubeka Executive Director

Comments

leaboy

Jan 14, 2015, 10:30 AM

ah, missed the official TDR 2015 Thread, whoops:
https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/144285-2015-tour-de-france/

fanievb

Jan 14, 2015, 10:32 AM

AWESOME!!!!!

Cycleshark

Jan 14, 2015, 10:33 AM

great news

deanbean

Jan 14, 2015, 10:34 AM

That's fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap:

Winstonian1984

Jan 14, 2015, 10:35 AM

awesome

nickc

Jan 14, 2015, 10:52 AM

Brilliant - Go Cannondale Garmin and MTN Qubeka !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :clap:  :clap: :clap:  :clap:  

Rudi Pollard

Jan 14, 2015, 10:53 AM

Awesome News!!! Congrats guys

fanievb

Jan 14, 2015, 10:58 AM

ah, missed the official TDR 2015 Thread, whoops:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/144285-2015-tour-de-france/

no, this deserves a thread of its own

#gooimielies 

ccs-62657-0-85133400-1417431380.jpg

Patchelicious

Jan 14, 2015, 11:00 AM

Fan bloody tastic! Well deserved!

Slowone

Jan 14, 2015, 11:01 AM

Well done  .............

Guest DieBees

Jan 14, 2015, 11:01 AM

They deserve nothing less. Well done boys!!!

HOEKVLAG

Jan 14, 2015, 11:10 AM

Great news!

TDK

Jan 14, 2015, 11:15 AM

Jis that is awesome news!

NixM

Jan 14, 2015, 11:18 AM

Fantastic news, make us proud guys!

Guest notmyname

Jan 14, 2015, 11:20 AM

Fantastic

Nibali

Jan 14, 2015, 11:42 AM

Whoohoo :clap:

Grondpad

Jan 14, 2015, 11:44 AM

lekker man!

NotSoBigBen

Jan 14, 2015, 11:44 AM

Not wanting to be a killjoy here but how many of the riders should we expect to be South African or at least African?

Scotty P

Jan 14, 2015, 11:46 AM

Who says hard work doesn't pay off! Well done guys!

Underachiever

Jan 14, 2015, 11:49 AM

Great stuff!!!!

leaboy

Jan 14, 2015, 11:50 AM

Not wanting to be a killjoy here but how many of the riders should we expect to be South African or at least African?

Really hoping to see Meintjies there!

Charsky

Jan 14, 2015, 11:54 AM

Get you some of that! GREAT NEWS! 

BMCfan

Jan 14, 2015, 12:01 PM

Just wanted to ask the same question

Can we start speculating on a probable line up???

Cheese

Jan 14, 2015, 12:03 PM

They have stated that the Team will by 60% African as far as I remember. Not sure about the figure but they have given a figure upfront. But that gives around 5 African a chance.

Domestiques and Climbers , while leaving the sprinting to the Europeans. RJVR can come in as sprinter if he performs well though.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment