Events

Telkom backs professional cycling team

· By Press Office · 33 comments

Telkom will increase its investment in South African cycling in 2016 with the launch of Team Telkom, a professional road and mountain bike racing team owned and managed by former cycling great, Malcolm Lange.

The team comprises seven riders, including Nolan Hoffman, South Africa’s most prolific road-and track-race winner since Lange’s retirement in 2010. Hoffman is joined by Johann Rabie, HB Kruger and David Maree, three experienced racers, with Rabie and Kruger scheduled to contest both road and mountain bike events, based on their ability to excel in both. Completing the line-up are youngsters Reynard Butler, Morné van Niekerk and Aidan van Niekerk.

ccs-62657-0-91995700-1452962661.jpgFormer South African cycling great, Malcolm Lange (centre) welcomes some of the riders to his new professional cycling team, Team Telkom. From left are Reynard Butler, David Maree, Morne van Niekerk and Noland Hoffman.

As a growing sport with over 600 events on the cycling and mountain bike racing calendar, professional cycle racing remains an attractive property for corporates looking to reach business and consumer audiences.

“Cycling is a growing sport that appeals to a broad cross-section of South Africans, across all age groups, and gender and race. Telkom is proud to be associated with one of the best cycling teams in the country. Just as cyclists challenge themselves to improve their speeds and performance, Telkom is continuously looking at ways of providing consumers with better and faster technologies,” said Enzo Scarcella, Telkom’s chief marketing officer and deputy MD.

“With Team Telkom, we believe we’ve found the ideal sweet spot, where we will have a competitive presence at the front of both South African road and mountain bike races throughout the year. There will be a Team Telkom presence at the highest profile races, every month from January through to November. This will give Telkom and our support sponsors year-round exposure, which is not possible with a pure event-focused sponsorship,” said Malcolm Lange.

Support sponsors, Compendium Insurance Brokers and Bidvest Bank, have also committed to the team.

“We hope that through this sponsorship, we can assist the talented members of Team Telkom to reach their full potential, both nationally and internationally, while continuing to grow the sport in South Africa,” added Scarcella.

“Our road race schedule includes all three big one-day races, the Cape Town Cycle Tour, the Momentum 94.7 and the Tsogo Sun Amashova. We’ve also penned in the National Championships and all the road stage races on Team Telkom’s race calendar. It’s an ambitious project, but with our experience as Lange Sports, combined with some of the country’s finest riders, we’re confident of success,” added Lange.

“Lange Sports has always held as one of its objectives the continued support and growth of South African cycling talent. Our teams have helped to develop some exciting young racers over the past few years, particularly on the road, and they have gone on to join bigger international teams. With the support of Telkom, Bidvest Bank, Compendium Insurance Brokers and our other sponsors, we intend for this to continue through 2016 and beyond,” said Lange.

Follow Team Telkom’s progress on twitter @TeamTelkom. For more information on Lange Sports, visit www.langesports.co.za

Comments

BeegMig

Jan 16, 2016, 4:58 PM

Yay!

Odinson

Jan 16, 2016, 9:47 PM

“Cycling is a growing sport that appeals to a broad cross-section of South Africans, across all age groups, and gender and race.

Psst, Telkom. I think that's mountainbiking you're referring to. 

Guest notmyname

Jan 17, 2016, 2:51 AM

I saw this team rolling in the cradle yesterday. They looked pretty slick.

Mongoose!

Jan 17, 2016, 3:16 AM

“Cycling is a growing sport that appeals to a broad cross-section of South Africans, across all age groups, and gender and race.[/size]

Psst, Telkom. I think that's mountainbiking you're referring to.

96.4% of South African cyclists own both a mtb and road bike

CAAD4

Jan 17, 2016, 5:56 AM

Hello?

Stretch

Jan 17, 2016, 6:49 AM

96.4% of South African cyclists own both a mtb and road bike

I'm in the 0.06%
rock

Jan 17, 2016, 6:59 AM

new sponsor - great news.

any other fully fledged road teams to challenge them at Sunday morning fun rides?

MEYER1

Jan 17, 2016, 8:20 AM

Rabie and HB  they will kick same ass in the MTB 

Odinson

Jan 17, 2016, 8:45 AM

Hello?

Is it me you're looking for?

Mongoose!

Jan 17, 2016, 9:07 AM

Is it me you're looking for?

Cause I wonder where you are...

Guest Lancesball

Jan 17, 2016, 9:13 AM

Wonder if they will get some kit that fits them properly or do they have potatoes in their back pockets?

gummibear

Jan 17, 2016, 9:19 AM

Is this a Vets Team?

andydude

Jan 17, 2016, 9:26 AM

Common guys :) Why are there so many negative/sarcastic comments?

I think it's great news when new sponsors get on board!

pe3nguin

Jan 17, 2016, 9:27 AM

Common guys :) Why are there so many negative/sarcastic comments?

I think it's great news when new sponsors get on board!

Exactly. Great news. Really and truly.

KidCharlemagne

Jan 17, 2016, 10:30 AM

I'm in the 0.06%

Did you mean 3.6%?

Jaco-fiets

Jan 17, 2016, 10:40 AM

Love the cannondale team bike. Happy for the guys. Don't think HB would be able to hold Johan's wheel in the team events but he is still young. Reckon he will develop into a super rider

WrightJnr

Jan 17, 2016, 11:18 AM

Did you mean 3.6%?

Nope. He didn't.

gummibear

Jan 17, 2016, 11:33 AM

Love the cannondale team bike. Happy for the guys. Don't think HB would be able to hold Johan's wheel in the team events but he is still young. Reckon he will develop into a super rider

Cannondale??

Bikes in the pic are Argon18

Jaco-fiets

Jan 17, 2016, 11:44 AM

Cannondale??

Bikes in the pic are Argon18

Looks like the mtb are cannondale scalpels as per other pics Johan Rabie posted on fb

vert space

Jan 17, 2016, 2:57 PM

Awesome news. Well done to Malcolm for keeping the dream alive. Can't be an easy task knocking on corporates doors and trying to convince them to give you money for a sport. The make up of the team is awesome "rainbow nation"

Patchelicious

Jan 17, 2016, 3:04 PM

You have to give it to Malcolm, he and his team do tons for the sport. Many people moan at them as they treat it as a business, but it is and it's exactly the mentality one needs to keep things going.

Good luck to these guys!

As for HB not being as strong? Watch that lightie this year!!! ;)

'Dale

Jan 17, 2016, 4:00 PM

Fantasticulous!!!!!

TheJ

Jan 18, 2016, 5:55 AM

Rourke Croeser must be super amped by this announcement, that sponsors still want to touch you after being busted for doping.

r0adrunner

Jan 18, 2016, 6:26 AM

Great news. Very happy.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment