Events

The Burry Stander Foundation – inspired by the life of Burry Stander

· By Matt · 1 comment

Burry Stander, one of South Africa and the world’s foremost mountain bikers who tragically died after being hit by a car while out training will live on through his legacy of change.

logo.jpg

The Burry Stander Foundation was founded in memory of his life.

The main goal of the Foundation is to be catalyst of change working towards changing legislation, assist other worthy initiatives, raise awareness and bring about lasting change. In short if its founders had their way the death of a cyclist or a runner on South African roads would become the exception rather than the near daily occurrence it is at the moment.

Stander’s wife Cherise Stander will be personally involved in driving the foundation. “I just need to focus on picking up the pieces right now and then I intend dedicating my energy on the memory of Burry through the Foundation and what it stands for” Cherise Stander added.

Zoon Cronje one of the individuals driving the Foundation said that the Foundation is not trying to reinvent the wheel. “Our aim is definitely not just to try and insure road safety for cyclists. The legislation we are going to work towards getting approved by the government will insure safety for all road users (cyclists, runners pedestrians, motor cyclists, motorists, taxi drivers as well as truck drivers,” Cronjé said.

The Burry Stander Foundation’s immediate goals are to drive a nationwide petition to change legislation; hand over petitions to government at mass rides in Cape Town and Johannesburg; assist the drive to pass the 1.5m passing rule into law; fight to change broader legislation.

“We aim to pass legislation as in certain European countries where the lowest form of transport carries the highest importance. It goes as follows: pedestrian, cyclist, motorbike, car, minibus, bus, truck,” Cronje explained.

“If say a motorbike hits a pedestrian the motorbike is immediately liable for a percentage of the costs and potential prosecution and so on and so forth. This means that it goes further than just awareness, the threat of potential liability and prosecution will automatically bring about a change in behaviour that benefits all road users. The change in how the law is interpreted gives it more teeth than trying to enforce road use but rather road incidents.” Cronje continued.

Burry Stander’s father Charles Stander also highlighted that the way the taxi industry functions should be looked at as well. “I bear no grudge, I think the system is to blame more so than the drivers or driver in this case. As far as I understand these drivers have to make a daily quota and only after that has been reached do they start earning for themselves. If this is indeed the case I don’t think the drivers are to blame at all.”

Sport Minister Fikile Mbalula pledged his support to the Foundation in statement to the media and offered government input on board level. The Foundation also indicated that it would engage with the minister of transport.

burry1.jpg

About the Foundation:

On 3 January 2013 Burry Stander lost his life on South African roads while riding his bike. The Burry Stander Foundation was founded to be a catalyst for change in memory of the life of Burry Stander.

Our mission: Change legislation, assist other worthy initiatives, raise awareness and bring about lasting change

Our vision: Zero bike related deaths on our roads

The Burry Stander Foundation is a charity with one goal in mind, to leave a legacy for Burry Stander by bringing about lasting change to save lives

We stand for more than just cyclists

• Pedestrians

• Cycling commuters

• Motorbikes and all other road users

Immediate Goals:

1. Drive a nationwide petition to change legislation

2. Hand over petitions to government at mass rides in Cape Town and Johannesburg

3. Pass the 1.5m passing rule into National law

4. Fight to change legislation

We aim to pass legislation as in certain European countries where the lowest form of transport carries the highest importance

5. Help raise awareness and assist other worthy initiatives like building bike lanes

6. Educate cyclists about the rules of the road and road use etiquette

How can you help?

1. Sign the online petition and add your voice

2. Pledge towards the Foundation to help fund what we stand for

3. Show your support, wear the armband use the sticker wear the shirt

4. Be an ambassador whenever you are or ride your bike, obey the rules of the road and be courteous toward other motorists. We need mutual respect

www.burrystanderfoundation.org

Link social media to: www.facebook.com/africanmtbkid – Burry’s official Facebook page become the official page for the Foundation in due time

burry2.jpg

Comments

RudoJ

Jan 11, 2013, 6:16 AM

Nice one!

lots can be said about cyclists that, motorists this and all kinds of stuff being thrown around, but at the end of the day it comes down to this "You must be the change you want to see in the world".

Add a comment

You must log in to comment