Tour de Suisse, ROUVY and Velon launch the first digital races featuring the best pro cycling teams in the world this week. The Digital Swiss 5 starts this Wednesday and will be broadcast on TV and online daily at 5 pm worldwide.
The best teams in the world will compete against each other for five consecutive days on the ROUVY Indoor Cycling Reality platform. In the new racing format, The Digital Swiss 5, riders compete against each other every day on sections of some of the most beautiful Tour de Suisse stages, all in compliance with the current corona epidemic regulations. And for cycling fans at home and abroad, finally there will be a competitive cycling event to follow live.
19 teams (16 WorldTour and 3 wildcard teams including the Swiss National Team) line up for the world premiere in digital pro racing. The cycling pros are connected on their racing bikes by “smart” roller trainers. While the rider sees the track and his position in the race on the monitor in real time and as an actual video image in front of him, the smart trainer puts the respective resistance on the pedals - depending on the topography of the track.
The start list for The Digital Swiss 5 reads like a who's who of the international cycling elite;
- From the current world champion Mads Pedersen (Trek-Segafredo)
- to the Olympic champion Greg van Avermaet (Team CCC)
- Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-Quickstep) - last season's high-flyer
- to the Belgian rising star Remco Evenpoel (Deceuninck-Quickstep)
- this year's winner of Paris-Nice Max Schachmann (Bora Hansgrohe)
- the UCI Hour Record holder Victor Campanaerts (NTT Pro Cycling)
- the GC riders Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma), Adam Yates (Mitchelton-Scott), Romain Bardet (AG2R La Mondiale)
- up to the winner of all three Grand Tours Vincenzo Nibali (Trek-Segafredo), they are all here.
And Switzerland is also represented by very strong names;
- The reigning Swiss champion Sébastian Reichenbach (Groupama-FDJ)
- The stage winner of Tds2018 Stefan Küng (Groupama-FDJ)
- Switzerland's most successful active athlete Michael Albasini (Mitchelton-Scott)
- Silvan Dillier and Mathias Frank (both AG2R La Mondiale) will be competing in Digital Swiss 5.
The Swiss Cycling line-up also includes Nino Schurter, the record-holding mountain bike World Champion. Although a digital race will also be new territory for him - he is not completely unfamiliar with the Tour de Suisse, as he started at the TdS 2014.
The races will be held on sections of the Tour de Suisse 2021 route for approximately one hour daily from Wednesday 22 April until Sunday 26 April 2020.
- TDS5 | Apr 22 | Race 1 | AGARN - LEUKERBAD | 26.6 km, 1’192 m of altitude
- TDS5 | Apr 23 | Race 2 | FRAUENFELD - FRAUENFELD | 46 km, 180 m of alt.
- TDS5 | Apr 24 | Race 3 | FIESCH - NUFENENPASS | 33.1 km, 1,512 m of alt.
- TDS5 | Apr 25 | Race 3 | OBERLANGENEGG - LANGNAU | 36.8 km, 444 m of alt.
- TDS5 | Apr 26 | Race 5 | CAMPERIO - DISENTIS-SEDRUN | 36 km, 950 m of alt.
Riding is done via detailed track simulations on ROUVY. In these video recordings of the actual courses, the individual cycling pros are shown as 3D avatar images in the look of their respective teams - true to their position in the current race. The digital race images are supplemented by live pictures of the pros at home during the TV broadcast. The Digital Swiss 5 races are also commented by experts and Velon provides performance data live from the living rooms of the riders.
Simultaneous start for all riders. Each day is an individual stand-alone single race without the overall individual or team standings for TDS 5. Drafting is not available.
TDS5 will be broadcast and commented live on TV and online with many exciting background reports for viewers at home in English, German, French and other languages of the respective broadcasting companies.
Fans who cannot follow the races live on TV can stay up to date by means of a live ticker on Search.ch, the official Tour de Suisse app. In addition, all those with a ROUVY AR subscription can follow the races via spectator mode, switching between the riders' positions.
Partners of the Pro Race
- MAIN Partner: VAUDOISE
- PREMIUM Partners: SEARCH.CH, PRIMEO ENERGIE
- Partners: TREK, FIZZY, CHICCO D’ORO, Bruno’s Best, ŠKODA, SCHULER, FLEUROP, Wallis
Despite social distancing fans can get close to the pros. Every evening at 7 p.m., the international cycling community can compare themselves to the crème de la crème of cycling professionals on the same stage sections in the Fan Race. An innovation which, in the current situation, at least partially satisfies the need for cycling competitions. To expend the same effort as the pros for five days is certainly a new and unforgettable experience for anyone up for the challenge.
The same as for the pros.
Simultaneous start for all riders. Each day is an individual stand-alone single race without the overall individual standings for TDS5. Drafting is not available.
The winners of the fan race will win the prizes from the partners.
Partners of the Fan Race
TREK, Wahoo, ŠKODA WE Love Cycling, SPORTSOFT Timing
TDS5 Fan Race will be streamed live daily on the ROUVY’s youtube channel with an English commentary.