Events

The gauntlet has been thrown at the FNB W2W MTB Race

· By Press Office · 0 comments

With so many top teams taking on the 2014 FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Race it is practically impossible to decide on a favorite. The last of the three events to take place in November, the FNB W2W MTB Race will start at Lourensford Wine Estate (Somerset West) on Friday, 07 November 2014 and will finish at Onrus Caravan Park (just outside Hermanus) on Sunday, 09 November 2014.

ccs-62657-0-07959200-1414405475.jpg

Renay Groustra and Nico Pfitzenmaier in action at the 2013 FNB Wines2Whales (W2W) Mountain Bike (MTB) Race. // Photo Credit: Jetline Action Photo.

Nico Pfitzenmaier and Renay Groustra claimed victory at the 2013 FNB W2W MTB Race in an impressive combined time of 08 hours 53 minutes 18 seconds. “Renay and I would like to defend our title, while having fun on the trails,” says Pfitzenmaier. “Winning the largest MTB stage race in the Western Cape was amazing. The FNB W2W is my end of the season race. So it’s a big highlight before I take a long rest. The prime goal is always to have fun and everything on top of this is a bonus. Of course winning it again amongst such a strong field would be awesome. Renay and I know each other and we know how to race smart. Our strength is definitely our technical skills. I can’t wait to hit the awesome Grabouw trails again”.

Another hot favorite this year is UCI MTB team, Rourke Croeser and Travis Walker, who will make their FNB W2W MTB debut in November. “I heard about the event two years ago,” says Croeser. “It’s been on my ‘to do’ list ever since. I’ve heard that the riding conditions are out of this world. I’m looking forward to riding the Cape Trails that I have not yet had the privilege of riding. Travis and I are a well balanced team. We have a lot of experience riding together. Our goal is to be on the top step”.

Other top contenders to look out for at the 2014 FNB W2W MTB Race will include: Christoph Sauser & Konny Looser, Kevin Evans & James Reid, Hanco Kachelhoffer & Chris Wolhuter, Dominic Calitz & Heiko Redecker, Robyn De Groot & Catherine Williamson, Jennie Stenerhag & Candice Neethling, Hanlie Booyens & Sharon Laws, Johan Labuschagne & Yolande De Villiers to name just a few.

EVENT INFORMATION: FNB Wines2Whales MTB Events

Starting in the Winelands of Somerset West, riders cross through (and over) 13 wineries, 26 private farms, six mountains, historic roads and mountain passes, nature conservation areas (including the Kogelberg Biosphere) before finishing within sight of the famous whales of Hermanus!

• FNB Wines2Whales MTB Adventure: 31 October 2014 until 02 November 2014
  • FNB Wines2Whales MTB Ride: 03 November 2014 until 05 November 2014
  • FNB Wines2Whales MTB Race: 07 November 2014 until 09 November until 2014

Stage One

Start: Lourensford Wine Estate (Somerset West)

Finish: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)

Stage Two

Start: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)

Finish: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)

Stage Three

Start: Oak Valley Wine Estate (Elgin-Grabouw)

Finish: Onrus Caravan Park (just outside Hermanus)

Like our Facebook page: Wines2Whales

Follow us on Twitter: @w2wmtb

Related posts

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment