Events

The Hub’s Forums – The way forward

· By Matt · 62 comments

Over the last week, particularly the last two days, I’ve been embarrassed to be behind a platform that has bred some of the commentary and behaviour we’ve seen.

The issues of this week highlight broader issues which have been brewing for some time.

We need change and fast.

Through the course of today we will be redrafting and implementing a set of rules to be strictly followed. The moderation around this will be tough it will no doubt see many people leave, either by choice or through violation of the rules.

However I firmly believe this is the only way forward and the only way The Hub can not only remain viable, but prosper as a more relevant and value-adding part of the cycling ecosystem.

We will keep you updated with the coming changes.

In the interim please do email me if you have any comments or suggestions -> matt@thehubsa.co.za

Sincerely,

Matt Eagar

Founder

Update @ 16h24, 23 Jan 2015

We’ve redrafted our rules to be more comprehensive and more readable. Some key points:

1. Positive and Negative ratings (Like & Dislike): Similar to sites like Pinkbike, StackExchange and others we’re switching from the current “Like only” system on posts and comments to a up / down vote system.

This will include filters to hide posts below a specified threshold and will limit how many positive and negative votes can be given out over a 24 hour period.

2. The suggestion of real names: We’ve considered this carefully and common sense (plus some telling research) suggests that forcing users to use real names will not work. It is impossible to enforce and police, and if you look at Facebook driven comments as an example people aren’t afraid to say some pretty outlandish things even with their own names.

3. Discussions regarding Classified deals (good and bad): We’ve taken the decision to disallow forum discussions about deals (good or bad) altogether. Rather re-channeling these to the Classifieds “Trader Feedback” mechanisms.

With this we will modify the Trader Feedback system to allow commentary from the involved parties only. This way providing transparency with regards to issues, allowing them to reach some form of conclusion without outside interference and ensuring feedback is more complete and up-to-date.

4. Better moderation: This has been a continual point of struggle for us. It’s never been given enough attention or had a focussed approach. With more consistent application of the rules and a firmer, no-nonsense approach this will be the biggest factor in effecting positive change.

5. Forum restructuring and a refinement of “Rants and Raves”: We had some general forum restructuring on the cards already and one of the items of consideration was to re-look at “Rant n Rave” specifically. With time we will be doing away with the Rant n Rave forum, in favour of more robust rating and feedback systems which immediately notify parties concerned and provide a more constructive environment to seek resolution. Very often there is a large amount of nastiness and speculation before a resolution is found which could be avoided with some better structure in place.

These are some of the interim plans to improve the situation within the forums specifically.

The first step will be the change in our moderation approach starting immediately. We will refine and expand on the plans above in the coming days and weeks.

Thanks to all those who have taken time to provide suggestions and support.

Click here to read our updated rules & guidelines.

Comments

Spank

Jan 23, 2015, 8:22 AM

Fantastic! :clap:

Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Jan 23, 2015, 8:23 AM

Great, Matt. TBH it was necessary, and I think a bit overdue. 

But - I'd hate us to devolve into one of those sites that has gargantuan moderator-drones overseeing every single onomatopoeia and simile.

jaco369

Jan 23, 2015, 8:24 AM

Great, Matt. TBH it was necessary. 

but there goes some good reading out the window....

habanero

Jan 23, 2015, 8:29 AM

We should still be aloud to pan each other on fridays. Its a tradition.

NicoBoshoff

Jan 23, 2015, 8:40 AM

*Popcorn sales plummet

EdGe

Jan 23, 2015, 8:41 AM

Good. It is needed.

Paul Ruinaard

Jan 23, 2015, 8:45 AM

Suggestion: You need to create a fire and brimstone section with adequate warnings in it about what can happen there. In other words let it be under your own cognisance if you go post there.

The hubs character is essentially an open form and no one should mess with that.

Rant n Rave on steroids with adequate adult warnings. 

GoLefty!!

Jan 23, 2015, 8:56 AM

problem is hubbers show time and again that self regulation is not sustainable.

Each time it goes over the edge then the reaction is more severe and further privileges i.e. free speech becomes less free.

forkie

Jan 23, 2015, 8:57 AM

I am guilty of adding very little of value to most threads. I ride bicycles, but TBH I don't really need to read about them 24/7. that's what I like about this place. We all have a similar interest but can spend hours talking absolute rubbish about stuff that has nothing to do with cycling and having a laugh. The banter is what keeps me coming back

But there are times when it goes too far and there are people that dont have the same sense of humour as other people, so it will sometimes degenerate into a mud fight. I am not sure how you fix it, but please dont turn this place into a sterile "big brother" type forum. that would be a lose lose for all concerned.

My suggestion is when things do degenerate hit the parties concerned hard. its always just a few that get invoved in the really ugly stuff.

Karooryder

Jan 23, 2015, 9:00 AM

Thanks Matt. Perhaps a bit overdue but great news nonetheless.

I agree with your general sentiment. I was away from this forum for about 6 weeks over December  / January  and I was friggin appalled to see what was going on around here when I logged in yesterday. I have been part of the community for many years and The Hub has seen its ups and downs, but never before have the bickering, sneering and attacks been so relentless and malicious.

I think the time for niceties is over...We can wait no longer to try and salvage what is left of the integrity and credibility of The Hub forums. 

LOOK695

Jan 23, 2015, 9:03 AM

It would help to be more respectful and not to type comments/replies in anger.

Rider3000

Jan 23, 2015, 9:05 AM

Please don't take the girls & bikes one off...or setup rules!  :whistling:

Rider3000

Jan 23, 2015, 9:08 AM

It would help to be more respectful and not to type comments/replies in anger.

I agree on the respect ! People have their opinions but there's limits too!

Slowbee

Jan 23, 2015, 9:09 AM

I am guilty of adding very little of value to most threads. I ride bicycles, but TBH I don't really need to read about them 24/7. that's what I like about this place. We all have a similar interest but can spend hours talking absolute rubbish about stuff that has nothing to do with cycling and having a laugh. The banter is what keeps me coming back

But there are times when it goes too far and there are people that dont have the same sense of humour as other people, so it will sometimes degenerate into a mud fight. I am not sure how you fix it, but please dont turn this place into a sterile "big brother" type forum. that would be a lose lose for all concerned.

My suggestion is when things do degenerate hit the parties concerned hard. its always just a few that get invoved in the really ugly stuff.

:thumbup:

SimpleDom

Jan 23, 2015, 9:13 AM

As a wise man once said.... Most situations can be resolved by not being a knob.

Karooryder

Jan 23, 2015, 9:14 AM

Call me a gatkruiper or whatever but - I think The Hub is probably one of few online forums where moderators constantly get attacked and insulted by community members who think they own the place...this sense of entitlement should be the first thing to go

This said, I think there should be one non-negotiable all encompassing rule:

The moderators shall be treated with the neccesary respect and their word and discretion is law...if you don't like it, leave; and if you don't agree, keep it to yourself. 

Mackie

Jan 23, 2015, 9:23 AM

With respect, if the previous set of rules were enforced equally, constantly and without favour, this would not be required, be that as it may, I may come back more often if this place get rid of it's bullies, trolls and Mafioso.

shova1

Jan 23, 2015, 9:24 AM

Sadly, rules & regulations don't fix idiocy. But they might get some Hubbers to think a little before hitting the post key....lets hope anyway.

Wyatt Earp

Jan 23, 2015, 9:24 AM

I have one suggestion, maybe just a request .

When we choose to ignore or block another member do it in such a way that they are totally nonexistent whereas one can't see their profile, or the fact that they have posted .

VicanZA

Jan 23, 2015, 9:25 AM

how about common sense, many a time have hubbers fished out a rat, without the robust interchanges we will be losing some of what makes this place what it is.

let you morality guide you, its not hard to spot the fakes..not to keen on to many rules as it would make this place a nanny state. 

just my 2c

Catatonic_Joe

Jan 23, 2015, 9:28 AM

Personally, I think that the amount of good threads out-weight the amount of bad threads on the Hub, it's just that the bad one's are more popular and get most of the attention... just like everything else in the world.

Some Hubber's like to participate in the dramatic threads but I think most Hubbers are here to talk about cycling. 9/10 times, the threads that go bad are the 'Rant' threads. I'm not going to lie, I enjoy reading the dramatic thread's, but that's it. I think when two parties are involved in a dispute, they should discuss it amongst themselves and sort it out, no need for everyone else to give their 2 cents.

Maybe an idea is that for the Ranting threads, that only the two parties involved should be allowed to comment, and that any thread's that are created to criticise another rant thread should be deleted and the creator of the thread should be given a warning.

SimpleDom

Jan 23, 2015, 9:30 AM

I have one suggestion, maybe just a request .

When we choose to ignore or block another member do it in such a way that they are totally nonexistent whereas one can't see their profile, or the fact that they have posted .

This is a good idea. Including posts where others quote them.
Matt

Jan 23, 2015, 9:30 AM

With respect, if the previous set of rules were enforced equally, constantly and without favour, this would not be required, be that as it may, I may come back more often if this place get rid of it's bullies, trolls and Mafioso.

Absolutely, and this effort is more about enforcement and consistent application than any new rules.

Wyatt Earp

Jan 23, 2015, 9:32 AM

This is a good idea. Including posts where others quote them.

That's right  :thumbup:

Add a comment

You must log in to comment