Events

The Munga Mountain Bike Race adds team entry limit

· By Press Office · 58 comments

Organisers of The Munga, the new single-stage 1000-kilometre mountain bike race in South Africa, have decided to limit the number of teams to 450 for the inaugural edition, which takes place from 3-8 December 2014.

Since its launch on 22 May, global interest in the event has been significant, largely due to the guaranteed US $1 million dollar prize purse, the richest podium payout in endurance sport. But the organisers want the race experience for all teams, regardless of their finishing position, to be of the highest quality, which has led to the entry number limit.

“We want every participant to savour every moment of The Munga. And in order to ensure a memorable experience, we have decided that 900 riders (450) teams is the optimal number for the first edition,” said Alex Harris, The Munga Founder and Race Director.

“We are promoting The Munga as being ‘unsupported’, but this simply means no outside seconding for any teams. Our five race villages, situated roughly every 150-180 kilometres, will offer comprehensive catering for the participants and we want to ensure this is of a high quality. By limiting the numbers we can guarantee a premium experience,” added Harris.

The top three teams to finish The Munga will share US$900 000 with the other US$100 000 being offered as the ‘Underdog’ prize, a lucky draw reward open to all teams that finish outside the top three and within the five-day cut-off limit.

“Since the launch, we’ve been inundated with enquiries, many of which have resulted in entries from athletes from around the world. We’ve noticed it’s not only mountain bikers, but also triathletes and road cyclists,” said Harris. “The big challenge for many so far seems to be to find a well-matched partner.

“This match-up is obviously crucial as the race, even to beat the five-day cut-off, will demand a combination of sleep deprivation and deep levels of physical, mental and emotional strain, all of which can break you down and challenge you beyond what you’ve experienced before. Food, drinks and other comforts will be in generous supply at our race villages and we want to ensure that no competitor has to wait long for anything that he or she needs or wants on arrival,” explained Harris.

Two entries to The Munga will be given at the 2014 UCI Marathon World Championships event in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa next week. The winner of the Elite women’s race will earn one entry, while the other will be given as a lucky draw prize to one of the finishers of the Rainbow Challenge, the Marathon World Championships equivalent for amateur master category riders (aged 30 and older) that will be held the day prior to the Elite World Championships at the same venue.

For more information on The Munga or to enter, visit www.themunga.com.

Also, Like ‘The Munga’ on Facebook and follow @TheMungaMTB on twitter. For videos on the event, search for ‘The Munga’ on youtube.com.

Tags:

Comments

Skubarra

Jun 19, 2014, 8:52 AM

Would there be line entries available on the morning of the event?

Brian Fantana

Jun 19, 2014, 9:16 AM

That R35 day license is a deal breaker for me.

davetapson

Jun 19, 2014, 9:47 AM

That R35 day license is a deal breaker for me.

You're not thinking about it right.

R35 / 5 days = R7 / day.

Although, If you finish sooner, it does get relatively pricier I admit.

DIPSLICK

Jun 19, 2014, 9:50 AM

i know there is 2 ways of looking at it,

1) they trying to push for people to panic and enter

2) THE ARE GETTING THE ENTRIES SOLD

as i said when they released the entries, i dont think there will be a shortage of people lining up to PAY

Headshot

Jun 19, 2014, 10:00 AM

Its starting to sound more like the Epic. They should have the bare minimum at the side of the road, a bit like those other races that Mr Harris has won. This sounds like the pampered pro's will be fine.

Shebeen

Jun 19, 2014, 10:29 AM

I wonder how many PAID UP $2k registered they actually have.

Once you have completed the registration, you will have 24 hours to pay the $2 000registration fee. This is a non-refundable deposit and secures your place in The Munga. Thereafter, you will have 60 days to pay the remaining $8 000.

Gandalf

Jun 19, 2014, 10:57 AM

Rich Roll FTW!!!!!

He will be able to make it, he can pack light as he wont need to take food, just grab some plants on the side of the trail. Machine! GO GO GO!

I really hope he gives it a go.

tunariaan

Jun 19, 2014, 12:12 PM

ow do they know its the toughest race if no one never rode it before?

CleatsnCleavage

Jun 19, 2014, 4:25 PM

Why havent we heard yet of any of the big names that are entered? As in, actually paid their entry fee to be there.

Dicky DQ

Jun 19, 2014, 5:05 PM

I know the BEAST has entered

Jocklaw

Jun 19, 2014, 5:51 PM

Would there be line entries available on the morning of the event?

maybe 440 or so.....

Pieterg

Jun 20, 2014, 9:25 AM

No big names yet

jcza

Jun 20, 2014, 9:30 AM

No big names yet

Did you find us a sponsor???

JGR

Jun 20, 2014, 9:44 AM

I wonder how many PAID UP $2k registered they actually have.

Once you have completed the registration, you will have 24 hours to pay the $2 000registration fee. This is a non-refundable deposit and secures your place in The Munga. Thereafter, you will have 60 days to pay the remaining $8 000.

You want to be my team mate?

Shebeen

Jun 20, 2014, 10:09 AM

You want to be my team mate?

Depends, can you go the distance?

JGR

Jun 20, 2014, 10:11 AM

Depends, can you go the distance?

As likely as you having the $5k

Gen

Jun 20, 2014, 10:43 AM

I read 100 teams had entered.. was in a bicycling article..

Lemme see if I can fin the link again.

no calves

Jun 23, 2014, 6:51 AM

i know there is 2 ways of looking at it,

1) they trying to push for people to panic and enter

2) THE ARE GETTING THE ENTRIES SOLD

as i said when they released the entries, i dont think there will be a shortage of people lining up to PAY

Last week there was 40 odd entries so i doubt the entries are selling fast...

rouxtjie

Jun 23, 2014, 7:04 AM

Is the Munga UCI sanctioned?

If no, previously convicted dopers and current ones could participate, yes?

Maybe send lance an invitation :whistling:

Shebeen

Jun 23, 2014, 7:04 AM

As likely as you having the $5k

You mean you're not sponsoring the entire entry fee?
Shebeen

Jun 23, 2014, 7:06 AM

Is the Munga UCI sanctioned?

If no, previously convicted dopers and current ones could participate, yes?

Maybe send lance an invitation :whistling:

the other organiser guy from porsche already tweeted him an entry request tweet....uniballer said he was considering it....wouldn't that create a bit of media sh1tstorm
rouxtjie

Jun 23, 2014, 7:11 AM

the other organiser guy from porsche already tweeted him an entry request tweet....uniballer said he was considering it....wouldn't that create a bit of media sh1tstorm

Ah so every doper that has been banned for life or currently serving a term can enter and win. We could have charlie and EPO pitstops...you know rather be totally transparent about it.

JGR

Jun 23, 2014, 7:52 AM

You mean you're not sponsoring the entire entry fee?

Pay the fee and pull you through the race .... seems fair :ph34r:

JGR

Jun 23, 2014, 7:53 AM

Ah so every doper that has been banned for life or currently serving a term can enter and win. We could have charlie and EPO pitstops...you know rather be totally transparent about it.

Got to get your $10k's worth of value

Add a comment

You must log in to comment