Events

The Old Mutual joBerg2c to introduce Buffalo category for heavier riders

· By BikeHubCoreAdmin · 65 comments

The Old Mutual joBerg2c has become the first mountain bike event in South Africa to launch a competitive category specifically created for heavyweight riders.

ccs-41808-0-89999400-1378806930.jpg

Photo: Kelvin Trautman

According to organiser Craig Wapnick, small, lightweight riders have always dominated the sport of cycling.

“It’s almost impossible for someone weighing more than 90kg to compete for overall victory in multi-day cycling races – at any level. In marathon and cross country mountain biking the same general rule applies.”

Wapnick said this bias alienated a significant number of larger riders who were physically in peak condition but simply could not match their slighter counterparts on the climbs. “What about those guys who love mountain biking, are as strong as a buffalo but just too heavy? What do they have to aim at?”

With this in mind, he said the organisers of the Old Mutual joBerg2c had embraced an exciting new category initiated by TREAD magazine, one of South Africa’s leading mountain bike publication.

“The category will be known as the TREAD Buffalo category,” said Wapnick.

He said the nine-day mountain bike race would be the first event to officially launch the category, with other stage races expected to follow suit. Men and women would be able to register for the category and view their results for different events on the TREAD website.

“There will be a TREAD Buffalo ranking, with a heavyweight party at the end of next year to give the big boys recognition. There will also be an official weigh-in before our event, just in case the delicious food served in the race villages makes the category and riders expand.”

Visit www.joberg2c.co.za to enter and follow the race on Facebook or @joberg2c_journo.

Comments

Chro Mo

Sep 10, 2013, 12:43 PM

Clydesdales unite!

Don't know if we should rejoice or be offended! Could be the most fun out of any category

Li Mu Bai

Sep 10, 2013, 12:55 PM

I think its a great idea. Hopefully it finds its way into all mtb events.

andydude

Sep 10, 2013, 1:17 PM

So is the cut-off 90kg?

What about the rhinos at 110kg +

DIPSLICK

Sep 10, 2013, 1:20 PM

EISH SO I AM OFFICIALLY A BUFFALO, always knew i was a dikgat, but a baffalo :blush: :blush: :eek: :eek:

Guest Karma

Sep 10, 2013, 1:23 PM

EISH SO I AM OFFICIALLY A BUFFALO, always knew i was a dikgat, but a baffalo :blush: :blush: :eek: :eek:

Join the club J.....also now classified as a dikgat

Eldron

Fantastic - I'm gonna put on 10kg and race the buffalos.

Kinda like MMA for cyclists. Awesome idea :-)

Help.Me.

jy qualify nie want jy ry soos 'n maer g@t............. :w00t: :w00t:

jcza

Sep 10, 2013, 1:25 PM

I think they should charge more for these okes to enter cause they eat more :ph34r:

eddy

Sep 10, 2013, 1:27 PM

I think they should charge more for these okes to enter cause they eat more :ph34r:

No we don't.

We ride less and DRINK more :thumbup:

But this is brilliant news and one I have long felt strongly about.

I have never been able to understand why they have weight categories in Boxing or Weightlifting for instance but not in Marathon running.

How about high jump for short guys ?

And because they all start with their feet in line, but end with their arms stretched above their heads, tall swimmers have a huge advantage as they have much less distance to cover than us short okes.

I could have been very competitive in a number of disciplines if the world was fair...... :cursing:

(Just kidding, but only about the bit about being competitive).

jaxtun

Sep 10, 2013, 1:29 PM

Oh Dipsy... pray tell - a BAFFalo??? thanks for the awesome laugh
Vinnydabutcher

Sep 10, 2013, 1:30 PM

My boet competes in tri races in the US.

200lbs - Clydesdale

220lbs - Super Clydesdale

Gives the big boys something to race for! He`s in Super Clydesdale competing against ex Football/baseball/basketball boys. At the line everyone else is about a head and neck taller than him - he is 6ft.

Some big boys out there!

jaxtun

Sep 10, 2013, 1:30 PM

i see there is a One Tonner training ride thread - perhaps these 2 should merge

Hairy

Sep 10, 2013, 1:32 PM

Hell .... I can finally be competitive .... does this mean I can't stop along the route for a lunch and photo stop anymore?

TALUS

Sep 10, 2013, 1:32 PM

Whines to whales had a whale cat last year

VicanZA

Sep 10, 2013, 1:37 PM

72 Kg gonna stop riding eat like a ******* and race Buffalo, loved the shoes in the days too.

Also love the song buffalo soldier...

ride Buffalo, wear buffalo, hum buffalo soldier.

mr HED

Sep 10, 2013, 1:39 PM

im definitely going now!

rouxtjie

Sep 10, 2013, 1:41 PM

Great result, and obviously wappo came up with the idea, the redbull runs made this year very cool....everyone had that redmist look in their eyes as they rolled through the start of the "redbull enduro arches". I like

jcza

Sep 10, 2013, 1:45 PM

Great result, and obviously wappo came up with the idea, the redbull runs made this year very cool....everyone had that redmist look in their eyes as they rolled through the start of the "redbull enduro arches". I like

Apologies mini hi-jack but 2 words - SS & VG?

DIPSLICK

Sep 10, 2013, 1:46 PM

HEYYYYYY

GTRacing

Sep 10, 2013, 1:50 PM

I'm in.. at 115 kg I'll be a mid class contender.

Chro Mo

Sep 10, 2013, 2:04 PM

Now we just need a Clydesdale forum on the Hub!

jcza

Sep 10, 2013, 2:09 PM

HEYYYYYY

Sorry DIPS

Danger Dassie

Sep 10, 2013, 2:17 PM

Well no, but he was definitely the first and most enthusiastic to adopt it. Reckon he's an activist at heart ... :D

Big H*

Sep 10, 2013, 2:20 PM

Now we just need a Clydesdale forum on the Hub!

I am a Clydesdale but my wife thinx I am a Chippendale!!!!!!!!

Add a comment

You must log in to comment