Events

The toughest mountain bike race on earth launches with prize money of $1 million – The Munga

· By Press Office · 17 comments

Yesterday, the world of mountain biking and endurance racing was flipped on its head – when the world’s toughest, most demanding – yet most rewarding – mountain bike race was launched.

ccs-2-0-42488600-1400827855.jpg

The Munga – a 1000km, single-stage race will elevate the sport of mountain biking (MTB) by giving these sports enthusiasts a prize to be excited about – one that has never been offered before!

“The Munga offers more than just a race, it’s a test against the toughest of external elements and against the human body, but most importantly, it’s a game changer,” says Alex Harris, renowned explorer, athlete, founder of Xplore Authentic Experiences and Race Director of The Munga. “With The Munga’s prize money significantly more that of current event prizes, it is a massive leap for the sport and one that we hope will bring greater recognition to the sport and to the racer in all of us.”

In a first for the world, The Munga has introduced a two-person team, single stage mountain bike race that will take place from the 3rd of December 2014. The intense, 1000km route for The Munga’s inaugural race will start in Bloemfontein, leading riders through vast distances across the Karoo, and conclude at the finish line at the Waterford Wine Estate, in the heart of Stellenbosch. The route has been designed to combine endurance, experience and strategy to satisfy those riding enthusiasts looking for a compelling story. It is set to take riders through some of South Africa’s lesser travelled paths – a trail that showcases South Africa’s remoteness – while testing the strongest of wills.

“The world is not short of tough things to do. It’s short of tough people willing to tackle tough things. And this is set to be one of the toughest races on earth. Do you have what it takes to compete in The Munga and win your share of a million dollars?” concludes Harris.

Read more about the event at www.themunga.com
Tags:

Comments

Matt

May 23, 2014, 7:03 AM

Take part in the existing forum discussion here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/139615-the-munga-mtb-race/

gummibear

May 23, 2014, 10:11 AM

Who are the sponsors?

ichnusa

May 23, 2014, 10:15 AM

Ditto gummi... who is putting 1Bar down for prizemoney?

Jakkals.

May 23, 2014, 10:22 AM

Well, I think that entry fees will cover the prize money.

Will the amateurs pay for the pro's to come win this one? I hope not.

scuzzy

May 23, 2014, 12:51 PM

I recon if you enter the first one and are fit, you could walk away with the money. Not sure if the pros will commit to this first time round, unless the money is the big drawcard, but will mess up their season.

Will be interesting to see if they can grab the imagination of the top pros

Chain-L

May 23, 2014, 1:02 PM

I recon if you enter the first one and are fit, you could walk away with the money. Not sure if the pros will commit to this first time round, unless the money is the big drawcard, but will mess up their season.

Will be interesting to see if they can grab the imagination of the top pros

they will be stupid not to race, this will be equal to ten years prize money for most pros!

Dirt Addict

May 23, 2014, 1:30 PM

How will the $1M be shared?

Mike Woolnough

May 23, 2014, 6:49 PM

I think this is a really dumb idea unless a major sponsor wants to toss away $1m for some coverage. It will take 100 teams to enter to cover the prize money. There will only be a handful of teams with a realistic chance. The vast majority of teams will be there simply to fund the purse the handful are racing to win. This looks like a glorified Epic with the minions funding the few. I wouldn't fork out over R100k to just be another rider without a clear chance of winning. Besides, as a Freedom Challenge veteran I am more than happy to ride a race that is more about my own personal achievement and experience. I lack the talent to challenge for a $1 million purse but that does nothing to diminish the rich experiences represented by the 3 Freedom Challenge blankets I have been handed over the years. Might just be blankets but they represent experiences that transcend money.

Chro Mo

May 24, 2014, 4:55 PM

foreign teams will lap this up.

manjafel

May 25, 2014, 5:07 AM

With that price tag this is not aimed at South Africans. I will watch with interest how this develop. But will rather save up and train for the Freedom challenge, which does not take you through a dessert in summer.

manjafel

May 25, 2014, 5:14 AM

But then again it is not the second toughest race.

If I had what it takes (R100 000) I would enter.

Mongoose!

May 25, 2014, 5:30 AM

begin in Bloemfontein, lekker man!

LOSMEICHERIE

May 26, 2014, 4:11 AM

interesting.

Tjokkits

May 26, 2014, 5:14 AM

How is this diffirent from the Freedom Challenge, othr than paying an insane amount to ride (sponsor some pro team price money

Moondust

May 26, 2014, 9:18 AM

Tjokkits, difference is you have way longer to finish the Freedom challenge. 5 days to ride 1000km definately takes more balls.

Percyzn

May 26, 2014, 9:59 AM

the winners on RASA do 2300 in 10 days.. Beats 1000 in 5....

Wuzzie

May 28, 2014, 12:25 PM

Why is it so expensive if its unsupported. You are basically paying R100k for someone to map out a route. Probably an insane amount of district road. They are obviously hoping for min 100 entries to cover prize money and the rest is profit.

Not adverse to people profiting in MTB its a good thing but this formula is flawed.

The main bunch are riding a long unsupported boring ride at a huge cost to pay for the marketing hype, which is a huge purse to go to a few probables.

Then they try do a lottery system for the "sponsor" riders.

Rather charge much less give smaller prizes and create a kick ass supported race with big corporate sponsors.

another point the race will be around 3 days for winners the others will be riding alone with nobody interested as the big prize would have been won already. Only the golden ticket left to win.

I think Freedom Challenge and Epic are far more appealing.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment