Events

Thrills and spills on day one of Masters MTB World Champs

· By Matt · 29 comments

The first official practice day of the UCI Mountain Bike Masters World Championships in Pietermaritzburg saw hundreds of cross country and downhill riders take to the Cascades MTB Park courses for the first time with varying results.

MastersFive.jpg

Ready for action! Masters riders enjoying the camaraderie of the first training day of the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

Photo: Dave Macleod/Gameplan Media

2013M1JimmyRamage.jpg

“This is the first time I have ridden the course since July and it has not changed a lot” said Pretoria rider Jimmy Ramage, who made the trip down from Pretoria a few days early to familiarise himself with the course on the opening day of the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg before he takes part in the Men’s 50-54 Cross Country event.

Photo: Kyle Gilham/Gameplan Media

Riding in humid overcast conditions both tracks were in demanding fast condition, with most riders approaching the day cautiously and carefully scrutinising the tough technical elements of the courses.

Pretoria based riders Jimmy Ramage and Sean Rossouw have been scouring the course inch by inch to find the quickest ways through certain sections.

“This is the first time I have ridden the course since July and it has not changed a lot” said Pretoria rider Jimmy Ramage, who had been riding with fellow Pretoria rider Sean Rossouw trying to find the fastest lines through the key sections.

“The difference is that when I was last here the climbs were the same but the course was longer and now the course is shorter but the climbs are the same length!” he said light-heartedly.

“I have been involved in a lot of endurance riding in the past but this is very different due to the fact that the course here is short and tough and the technical stuff is a lot more challenging,” Rossouw mentioned.

The two Pretoria locals have been very impressed by the course and feel that they really could not pass up this opportunity because it is so close to where they are based.

Local rider and Scottsville Primary School teacher Michelle Speirs had a tough run on her opening day of practice but is looking to her history in Enduro riding to pull her through when she takes part in the women’s downhill for 35 – 39 year olds.

“I had four runs today and I fell off a couple of times which was not fun but it is all part of the experience.

“I have only been riding downhill for about three weeks now but I really could not take this opportunity and I ride Enduro – which is very similar to downhill just on a cross country bike.

2013M1MylesKelsey.jpg

Having been to many world Champs before, local downhiller Myles Kelsey got some important practise in on the opening day of the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

Photo: Kyle Gilham/Gameplan Media

The Pietermaritzburg local has been riding the course hard in order to prepare for the event and although she has an apparent lack of experience on a downhill bike her intentions are not to make up the numbers.

“Today I got a little bit of a fright but I am going to go home and get ready to come out again tomorrow and do the same.

“This is a serious competition and I am not here for nothing, I want to do as well as I can and I think being a local means that I can because of my experience on this course.

“The bike that I am riding now is not quite as responsive as my cross country bike and there is a lot more pedalling involved in downhill but it is a challenge that I am really looking forward to,” Speirs added.

There has been an incredible amount of traffic on the course over the past day and this has meant that a lot of the riders were taking their runs a little more cautiously later in the afternoon than in the morning.

“The course has become a little more treacherous as the day has gone on and more and more people have been riding on it.

“There are some patches on the downhill course were the gravel is quite loose and we have to take it a little slower through there than we would like to,” said a wary Speirs.

Shortly after the start of the practice section Frenchman Michel Stephane came unstuck below Cloud 9 on the Downhill course and was rushed to St Anne’s hospital with a suspected fracture above his ankle.

Late in the afternoon local rider Cobus Slabbert crashed spectacularly on the tough final descent on the cross country course, somersaulting over his handlebars landing on his back injuring ribs in the process.

CobusCrash.jpg

Cobus Slabbert crashed heavily late in the afternoon practice session on the opening day of the UCI MTB Masters World Championships 2013 at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg.

Photo: Dave Macleod/Gameplan Media

Thursday sees both downhill and cross country riders heading out onto the course for their second and final day of training before the competition starts officially on Friday.

The UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships takes place at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg from 26 August to 1 September 2013, and will be preceded by the UCI MTB Masters World Championships from21 to 25 August. More information can be found at www.mtbworldchamps.co.za

Comments

arendoog

Aug 22, 2013, 7:35 AM

Masters + downhill racing .Makes no sense to me !

patches

Aug 22, 2013, 7:43 AM

Masters + downhill racing .Makes no sense to me !

Yeah, I don't think anyone over 30 should be allowed to operate a motor vehicle either! :ph34r:

Bear in mind that the current DH World Champ (Mr Minnaar) is over 30 and would be classified as masters were he not on the elite circuit. Same goes for the likes of Steve Peat, Cedric Gracia and quite a few others.

Masters for the DH World Champs is not the same age group as masters for your local road race. Masters is for the 30+ guys and girls that don't have the super competitive edge or UCI points to race Elites. Yes there are some over 50yr olds racing DH, but there are also many 50+ yr old guys racing dirt bikes and doing events like The Roof.

Super_mil is down there practicing at the moment and he said there were far more injuries on the XC course than the DH course yesterday.

So hey... if you're over 30... get a DH bike and give it a go ;)

rock

Aug 22, 2013, 7:44 AM

hey even andrew neethling could qualify for masters next year! 30 aint that old.

jcza

Aug 22, 2013, 7:48 AM

We should list hubbers that are competing. I know Iron, Eldron, Boosted GP and Roneblack are all doing XCO. Who else?

patches

Aug 22, 2013, 7:52 AM

We should list hubbers that are competing. I know Iron, Eldron, Boosted GP and Roneblack are all doing XCO. Who else?

I know Super_mil, and Nigel Hicks are in for DH

Ryanpmb

Aug 22, 2013, 7:57 AM

Seriously... The only female DH rider they could find has been riding DH for 3 weeks and rides Enduro on an XC bike. Really really...?

Ryanpmb

Aug 22, 2013, 7:58 AM

Go Paul Wood! First pic. Team Safire.

RocknRolla

Aug 22, 2013, 8:00 AM

Mrs RocknRolla is also riding XCO.

says its wet and overcast there at the moment.

patches

Aug 22, 2013, 8:01 AM

Seriously... The only female DH rider they could find has been riding DH for 3 weeks and rides Enduro on an XC bike. Really really...?

Yeah?! Why didn't they speak to KathF (another Hubber doing DH masters)?

MariusC

Aug 22, 2013, 8:01 AM

I know Super_mil, and Nigel Hicks are in for DH

Is Grebel not there?

patches

Aug 22, 2013, 8:03 AM

Is Grebel not there?

Oh yeah, him too.

PhilipV

Aug 22, 2013, 8:04 AM

Couple of my mates are there right now. 1 racing XC, and 2 on the DH. One of these DH gentleman broke his collarbone yesterday. Second run second corner. :oops:

MariusC

Aug 22, 2013, 8:05 AM

Maybe we should make a list with their Hub names and next to it their real names? I don't think the results will have their Hub names on?

SwissVan

Aug 22, 2013, 8:05 AM

I tried that last week

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/129720-world-champs-xco-dh-good-luck/

jcza

Aug 22, 2013, 8:07 AM

What happened to all the spruit warriors?? Now is the time to use all the travel on that bike :ph34r:

ChUkKy

Aug 22, 2013, 8:17 AM

What happened to all the spruit warriors?? Now is the time to use all the travel on that bike :ph34r:

Spruit machines would be in their element there, do they have ballbags to jump into at world champs?

patches

Aug 22, 2013, 8:18 AM

What? And get our lovely paintwork scratched by shuttling?

:ph34r:

hahaha! ok, but really there are some that you call "Spruit Warriors" that would be racing if they were 30 or over.

The real question is why aren't all the Spruit Stravasoles doing the XCO? Every time I get passed on the spruit by some grumpy looking guy, pedalling his backside off, scowling me for putting his KOM in jeopardy, I think to myself "don't be so harsh on him... he must be training for World's" :lol:

Ryanpmb

Aug 22, 2013, 8:22 AM

Exactly. I really don't care what bike one uses for any particular discipline but at least interview a rider who can comment on the 'real world' difficulties etc of the course based on actual experience.
Ryanpmb

Aug 22, 2013, 8:25 AM

Spruit machines would be in their element there, do they have ballbags to jump into at world champs?

You should see some of the stuff in Cascades at the moment. Rode some of the Enduro trails and DH course a few weeks ago. I shat myself on the stuff which these okes consider speed bumps, nevermind the proper gap jumps and rock gardens.

Going to be fun to watch!...

ChUkKy

Aug 22, 2013, 8:40 AM

You should see some of the stuff in Cascades at the moment. Rode some of the Enduro trails and DH course a few weeks ago. I shat myself on the stuff which these okes consider speed bumps, nevermind the proper gap jumps and rock gardens.

Going to be fun to watch!...

Sounds like I need to make a detour down that way and come ride there for a weekend with you guys!!

Ryanpmb

Aug 22, 2013, 8:40 AM

Sounds like I need to make a detour down that way and come ride there for a weekend with you guys!!

Do it.
patches

Aug 22, 2013, 8:51 AM

Do it.

Yup! the riding in that 'hood is brilliant. Between Cascades and Karkloof you can't go wrong.

NotSoBigBen

Aug 22, 2013, 8:53 AM

Couple of my mates are there right now. 1 racing XC, and 2 on the DH. One of these DH gentleman broke his collarbone yesterday. Second run second corner. :oops:

Our very own Hubber Gnarly's dad broke his collar bone on the XCO course practice yesterday :thumbdown:

RocknRolla

Aug 22, 2013, 8:57 AM

see they rerouted the "corkscrew"

only the c-line available now.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment