Events

Tour de France legends to ride in Absa Cape Epic

· By Press Office · 118 comments

Cadel Evans and George Hincapie to ride for BMC Absa Racing Team in Masters category.

ccs-62657-0-42862400-1479715766.jpgGeorge Hincapie with Cadel Evans. tdwsport.com photography.

The BMC Absa Racing Team has been considerably boosted by the news that two Tour de France legends, Cadel Evans and George Hincapie, will be riding for them in the 2017 Absa Cape Epic.

Evans (40), from Australia, is the 2011 Tour de France winner while America’s Hincapie (43) is a 17-time Tour de France finisher. They will compete in the Masters category.

“Ever since I first heard about the Absa Cape Epic, I have wanted to try it. But they tell me it’s very hard,” said Evans about the grueling 8-day mountain bike stage race which starts at Meerendaal, Western Cape, on 19 March 2017.

“We are extremely excited to welcome two of the world’s leading cyclists into our Absa Pride family and I know that the support and camaraderie they will experience during their first tilt at the Absa Cape Epic will inspire them to ‘Conquer As One’,” said David Wingfield, Head of Marketing: Barclays Africa.

Evans, nicknamed ‘The Lung’, started his career as a mountain biker and won the World Cup in 1998 and 1999. He turned to road racing after placing seventh in the men’s cross-country mountain bike race at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. After two second-placed finishes in the Tour de France, Evans won the event in 2011.

“I am a racer, but we are competing against far more experienced riders so we have to be realistic,” Evans said. “If George and I can put up with each other, and race hard without any major mishaps, that will be good.”

Hincapie is one of the most legendary riders in the world, with numerous world championships, national championships and professional victories to his credit.

ccs-62657-0-65711800-1479715765.jpgEvans and Hincapie during the 2011 Tour de France. tdwsport.com photography.

During his 19-year professional career Hincapie was regarded as the premier American classics rider of his generation. He competed in a record 17 Ronde van Vlaanderen races and finished second at the grueling Paris-Roubaix – the best ever for any American. Beyond the classics he rode in the Tour de France 17 times and won three US National Road Race championships.

Asked why he had chosen to do the Absa Cape Epic, Hincapie laughed: “Cadel made me do it … and it looks like it’s going to be an amazing adventure.”

“Troy (de Haas, their BMC team manager) sent us some videos on the race to start visualising and preparing over the next months, but that’s about it.”

Evans has been back on his mountain bike since retiring. “Yes, I came into cycling through mountain biking. I stayed away from the trails for most of my road career, but as soon as I stopped competing I started riding off-road again.”

“I have not competed seriously since February 2015. For training reasons, I will try to get some competition in before the Absa Cape Epic.”

Hincapie admits he has no experience racing mountain bikes. “| have always enjoyed riding off-road but have never really raced it, except just with mates at home.”

Neither have ever raced in a team event either.

“Should I be worried?” Evans laughed. “It will be my first time in South Africa. That alone will be a great experience.”

Hincapie has also never visited South Africa, but says it’s always been on his bucket list and that “to do it as a part of this team is very exciting”.

Wingfield promises that the Absa Pride riders will make the visit of Evans and Hincapie “special and memorable”. “We look forward to hosting them and according them a proper Absa Pride welcome with full access to our world class facilities and a premium hospitality experience.”

He added that as part of Absa’s continued partnership with the Absa Cape Epic, the bank will once again recognise and reward teamwork and perseverance at next year’s race with the popular #ConquerAsOne campaign.

“We will be fully supporting Cadel and George as the newest members of our Absa Pride family but wish to assure them that the unity and spirit among all racers will help them dig deep and conquer the eight challenging days – as one,” concluded Wingfield.

Related posts

Comments

Matchstix

Nov 21, 2016, 8:22 AM

Just don't touch Cadel when he is here. . He doesn't like to be touched.

Was about to say he comes from a mtb back ground.

mecheng89

Nov 21, 2016, 8:39 AM

Exciting! 

Shebeen

Nov 21, 2016, 8:46 AM

Hincapie...does he escape the 'no dopers at Epic' window? 

Danger Dassie

Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 AM

Just, only just. He accepted his ban late 2012, while the Cape Epic instituted the lifetime ban as of Jan 2013. 

Jewbacca

Nov 21, 2016, 8:49 AM

Self Confessed doper.... Surely this is a slight breech of their zero doping policy unless...........

The new owners from Iron Man have a more lenient disposition towards admitted dope cheats? 

eddy

Nov 21, 2016, 8:50 AM

Does the Epic not have a no doper policy ?

fanievb

Nov 21, 2016, 8:51 AM

he confessed but was not sanctioned by UCI 

Gen

Nov 21, 2016, 8:55 AM

Hey.. this is pretty cool.

If I recall..Cuddles rode the prologue at last year's Swiss epic as a guest for the day.. he set the fastest time.

rock

Nov 21, 2016, 9:01 AM

edit, didnt read

Bonus

Nov 21, 2016, 9:03 AM

he confessed but was not sanctioned by UCI 

As I recall the story went like this:

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

We are the FBI and this is now a Federal Investigation. Did you dope?

Yes . . . .

edit: shame because I always liked Big George.

rock

Nov 21, 2016, 9:03 AM

If I recall..Cuddles rode the prologue at last year's Swiss epic as a guest for the day.. he set the fastest time.

a Ferrari engine will make you fast....

Gen

Nov 21, 2016, 9:04 AM

As I recall the story went like this:

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

Did you dope?

No!

We are the FBI and this is now a Federal Investigation. Did you dope?

Yes . . . .

edit: shame because I always liked Big George.

Yip.. that was pretty much it.[emoji23] [emoji23]

And yip I also liked him..

bolt67

Nov 21, 2016, 9:05 AM

On October 10, 2012, Hincapie released a statement on his website acknowledging the use of performance-enhancing drugs and confirming that he had been approached by US Federal Investigators and USADA with regard to his experiences with doping.[3] Later that day a statement was released confirming his acceptance of a six-month ban from September 1, 2012, ending on March 1, 2013, along with a stripping of all race results between May 31, 2004, and July 31, 2006.[4]

Malpiet

Nov 21, 2016, 9:07 AM

was about to say the same!! all about status i guess

two hands

Nov 21, 2016, 9:10 AM

On October 10, 2012, Hincapie released a statement on his website acknowledging the use of performance-enhancing drugs and confirming that he had been approached by US Federal Investigators and USADA with regard to his experiences with doping.[3] Later that day a statement was released confirming his acceptance of a six-month ban from September 1, 2012, ending on March 1, 2013, along with a stripping of all race results between May 31, 2004, and July 31, 2006.[4]

This does put the Epic in a tight spot:

"Any athlete (professional or amateur) under sanction by their federation or national anti-doping authority (NADA) after 31 December 2012, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager."

Danger Dassie

Nov 21, 2016, 9:18 AM

This does put the Epic in a tight spot:

"Any athlete (professional or amateur) under sanction by their federation or national anti-doping authority (NADA) after 31 December 2012, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic. Not only will the person not be allowed to participate (as an amateur rider or UCI- licensed elite), but the individual will also be banned from being involved on any level including as a team manager."

After, Hincapies ban was before. 

Says Kevin Vermaak, founder of the race: “As of 1 January 2013, any athlete (professional or amateur) caught using performance enhancing substances, whether at another event or out of competition, will be banned for life from participating in the Absa Cape Epic.

Vermaak continues: “We’ve chosen not to apply this retrospectively because we believe that would be naive. As has been exposed in recent months, cycling has a dark past.

http://www.cape-epic.com/news/409/lifetime-ban-for-doping-offenders/

rock

Nov 21, 2016, 9:19 AM

6 month ban over the off season, so harsh.

insideman

Nov 21, 2016, 9:20 AM

This is absolutely ridiculous! The Absa Cape Epic is turning into such a cesspool for washed up rugby players and now former dopers. 

“We are extremely excited to welcome two of the world’s leading cyclists into our Absa Pride family and I know that the support and camaraderie they will experience during their first tilt at the Absa Cape Epic will inspire them to ‘Conquer As One’,” said David Wingfield, Head of Marketing: Barclays Africa

David, are you smoking your socks? Hincapie should be banned from setting foot within 50km of a cycling race. 

We should leave these guys where they belong - in the past. 

Eldron

Nov 21, 2016, 9:28 AM

More doper glorification. Just what we need.

And one of the EPOlancophites no less.

Fark me - does no one ever learn?

Gen

Nov 21, 2016, 9:31 AM

Mmm

. Why the fuss.. he was given the sanction before the Epic imposed their ban..

Yes it's not ideal to have ex dopers racing/riding, most of us would like to see the dopers never return to the sport (especially the old US Postal crew).. but it is what it is.

For those racing the epic next year.. you have a golden opportunity to give big George a piece of your mind, if you like and if you have the balls to do it.????

But I kinda suspect there will be more selfies with the pair than lectures.????

Gen

Nov 21, 2016, 9:37 AM

Now all we need is to lure Ullrich to the Epic...

*hat-coat-door*

kosmonooit

Nov 21, 2016, 9:40 AM

This is dope!

insideman

Nov 21, 2016, 9:42 AM

Mmm

. Why the fuss.. he was given the sanction before the Epic imposed their ban..

Yes it's not ideal to have ex dopers racing/riding, most of us would like to see the dopers never return to the sport (especially the old US Postal crew).. but it is what it is.

For those racing the epic next year.. you have a golden opportunity to give big George a piece of your mind, if you like and if you have the balls to do it.

But I kinda suspect there will be more selfies with the pair than lectures.

It is what it is

Do you not get the bigger picture? Absa is promoting these riders as if this is a positive thing, something to be celebrated. 

Can you even begin to imagine how many blood bags Hincapie took lying next to Lance on the US Postal bus? Probably not. 

Hincapie stands for everything that is and was wrong with cycling. To promote him as a hero is utterly laughable. 

Meezo

Nov 21, 2016, 9:44 AM

can't wait for Lance Armstrong to do the Epic, hopefully by then i would of saved enough to do it myself

Add a comment

You must log in to comment