Events

Tour of Norway: Boasson Hagen doubles up with another stage win

· By Press Office · 0 comments

Edvald Boasson Hagen made it two out of two when he won the final stage of the Tour of Norway earlier today. 2nd place went the way of Sondre Holst Enger (Norway) and August Jensen (Coop-Osterhuis) finished in 3rd. The overall victory was taken by Pieter Weening (Roompot).

ccs-62657-0-37599800-1463950278.jpg

It was another wet and windy day to end off this year’s edition of the Tour of Norway. As the riders took on 163km from Drobak to Sarpsborg, 2 riders got away and the peloton gave them a maximum lead of 5 minutes. Roompot started the intial chase and then it was our Team Dimension Data for Qhubeka and the Team Norway riders who came to assist. Adrien Niyonshuti did an incredible job once again, pulling on the front for most of the stage.

The stage ended with 3 laps of a really tough circuit which included a hard 1.5km climb. Boasson Hagen had come to see the circuit a few weeks ago and so our team went into the stage with a clear plan. The 2 rider break was caught as expected and the stage would be decided on the final circuit. Our African Team did a great job once again to keep Edvald in prime position for the start the all-important final climb.

ccs-62657-0-73672600-1463950275.jpg

Boasson Hagen put in a few testing surges on the climb and the fatigue in the peloton was noticeable. So near the top of the hill our Norwegian star accelerated away from the group and never looked back. With 6.5km to go to the line, Boasson Hagen totally emptied the tank and it was enough, as he crossed the line 8 seconds ahead of a charging peloton. The result also saw Boasson Hagen finish the race in 2nd position overall.

It was a good day. We had control over the break and the team did really well, always being in front with me. Towards the end I tried to attack and I managed to stay away which I am really happy about but the team did really well so I am very happy. I had come to see the circuit before so I knew all the corners and it was really wet today so I knew where I could go really fast. It was nice to know about the circuit beforehand.
Edvald Boasson Hagen – Rider
The team were fantastic today once again. All the guys did a great job and Eddy finished it off with a great ride. It was really special to do it in front of his home crowd as well. It has been a great week for us here in Norway, the riders and staff all worked incredibly hard and well together so we are really happy with our performance here.
Oli Cookson – Sport Director

Comments

There are no comments yet. Why not add yours below.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment